Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:38:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best gaming achievements

Started by The Boston Crab, October 03, 2018, 05:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have very few because I am unable to commit to almost anything in life. That said, I think these are my proudest and only good gaming achievements:

- S Class on Ikaruga Chapter One.

- 1105 Buzz Combo on Stage One of Psyvariar Delta. The true superplayers tend to max out at around 1130-1150.

That's probably it.

My brother was one of the greatest ever players of one Tom Clancy game, inventing various new high level techniques and ultimately having to delete his PSN account because of all the friend requests and squad invites and propositions and hate mail and reports. When he 'came out of retirement', he just started dropping into random squads and annihilating everyone and people quickly realised who he was from his playstyle and numbers and it all started again  so he called it quits forever. Always slightly saddens me, that.

biggytitbo

I finished Dark Souls spinning on my cock.

Utter Shit

I'm rubbish at most games, most of my 'achievements' over the years are based around being terrible at games in interesting ways. Most memorably I was playing GTA4 in my old house just as all my mates got home from work, and they all sat around watching as I said "I'm gonna go on a mad crime spree for a laugh"...I was stabbed to death in an alleyway before I managed to kill a single person. Also on one of the old CODs I got lost for five minutes in undergrowth (turned out I was staring at the ground, so all I was seeing was grass wherever I went) and had to blow myself up to get back to a position where I could see what was going on.

I think my best achievement ever is winning the league with Tottenham on one of the recent FMs. I know that's not impressive compared to the guys that do it with their local Sunday league team from the bottom division but the emotional investment was something else, I was fucking PROUD of the players even though I was essentially proud that a database had randomly fallen in my favour.

Oh also at uni I robbed my mate of a £30 pot on FIFA, we had been playing a league all night with a fiver buy-in and the winner got the lot. I was already out of the running but in the last game my mate needed to draw to take the title. He was on for the draw until the last minute, when I hammered a ridiculous 50 yarder into the top corner with Xabi Alonso. I had nothing to gain from it but that was a decade ago and we still talk about it now, the great robbery of 2008. That's probably my proudest moment in gaming, the sheer shithousery of robbing someone of £30 with an incredible goal that didn't benefit me whatsoever.

Lemming

I hold the world record for the Rooftop Run level in Sonic Generations. I can't prove this because I didn't screenshot it or record it, but I genuinely got like a millisecond faster than the current recorded world record. No joke.

colacentral

Came first in every race on every grand prix on all difficulties with every character (all 40 odd) on F-Zero GX. I'd love to be that carefree again that I'd spend the time to do that.

Z

it probably is the number of JRPGs I played right up to the last boss fight or dungeon and didn't bother finishing.

Either that or the 40 hours I accumulated on Wind Waker when only doing one dungeon. Just sailing within the area I had for ages and ages

Kelvin

I possess a good.understanding of the Zelda timelines.

Bhazor

Managing to reach the deep ones in Dwarf Fortress. Albeit with the easiest possible settings.

Speed running Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon before speed running was even a thing.  Got it down to about four and a half hours. Meaning I'd still be on the leaderboard today.

https://www.speedrun.com/Mystical_Ninja_Starring_Goemon#Any

Completed a no kill run of Deus Ex Human Revolution on my first go.

Consignia

Quote from: Kelvin on October 03, 2018, 11:41:23 PM
I possess a good.understanding of the Zelda timelines.

Likewise, I can school anyone on the Tony Hawk timelines:

bgmnts

Quote from: Bhazor on October 03, 2018, 11:47:10 PM
Managing to reach the deep ones in Dwarf Fortress. Albeit with the easiest possible settings.

Speed running Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon before speed running was even a thing.  Got it down to about four and a half hours. Meaning I'd still be on the leaderboard today.

https://www.speedrun.com/Mystical_Ninja_Starring_Goemon#Any

Completed a no kill run of Deus Ex Human Revolution on my first go.

I managed to beat that cunt boss without having the chip taken out, on the hardest difficulty.

That was genuinely fucking difficult, proud of that.

popcorn

Completing Resident Evil HD despite it being the worst game ever.

Cuellar

I was on a team with the UK's best Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II player.

Another actual achievement, I got all the Completion Marks with The Lost on The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus, including Mega Satan and Ultra Greed - which took me weeks.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: popcorn on October 04, 2018, 08:44:56 AM
Completing Resident Evil HD despite it being the worst game ever.
You're the worst game ever

FredNurke

All the cheats on Goldeneye, on three different cartridges.

Actually finished the first TMNT game on the NES.

Kryton

Quote from: FredNurke on October 04, 2018, 10:15:18 AM

How on earth did you get the invincibility cheat on Goldeneye? That was seemingly impossible. It was the one in the facility right? 2nd level....

Kelvin

I did both of those, too (well, on one cartridge, for Goldeneye). Also beat Ninja Gaiden multiple times.

Quote from: Kryton on October 04, 2018, 10:48:27 AM
How on earth did you get the invincibility cheat on Goldeneye? That was seemingly impossible. It was the one in the facility right? 2nd level....

The trick was a) using that sideways run trick to navigate faster, b) to just tank the enemies, rather than fight them, c) to pray that Dr Doak was in the final corridor, where you could just brush against him.

samadriel

In HL2, I got the achievement for only using the gravity gun in Ravenholm.  In HL2 Ep 1, I got the One Free Bullet achievement (only use gravity gun, grenades and rockets throughout). Both were real bastards, especially the hospital in Ep 1.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 04, 2018, 09:53:49 AM
Another actual achievement, I got all the Completion Marks with The Lost on The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus, including Mega Satan and Ultra Greed - which took me weeks.

With or without Holy Mantle?

AsparagusTrevor

Me too. I didn't own a NES myself, I had the Commodore 64 version which, if you can believe it, was so much harder.

Apart from running like shit the C64 version had missing features. For example all the turtles had the same weapon range so no long range attacks for Leo or Don and they couldn't attack up or down, only forward. Also there were no projectile weapons like the shurikens or boomerangs (even though these were still in the instruction book - remember those?). There were a few less enemies, sure, but this didn't do enough to balance the weapon limitations which really crippled everything. I'd played it to death but never got to the end.

I played it on a friend's NES and, since I was used to a much harder game, managed to get to Shredder first time, and defeated him on a later run.

Thursday

I think technically it probably has to be getting the platinum trophy on Bloodborne, although it's actually quite a bit easier than you would think, the main challenge is having the patience to do all the chalice dungeons. They do get difficult on the cursed/defiled levels having only half health, and it get's particularly awful on the levels where the bell summoners start bringing up spiders, but if you can finish the game three times you can do it, and other than that it's just about finding a couple of out of the way items you can easily miss.

What's insane though is that I did it twice, because I created a separate PSN account to buy it a few days early from the American PSN store, so one day I realised it wasn't credited to my main account, and even though I'm not usually someone who cares about trophies, this bothered me.

I probably would have done it all again anyway though, and when I did it the 2nd time they'd patched in a load NPC summons to the dungeons, so that freshened it up.

Bhazor

Beat a one life run of Mario The Lost Worlds. Pretty certain that entitles me to a complimentary hand job at any Nintendo store.

Cuntbeaks

Could complete Chase HQ and Robocop in the arcade with one 10p, well, one 10p per machine.

Quote from: madhair60 on October 04, 2018, 11:47:35 AM
With or without Holy Mantle?

With, but I did it blindfolded as well, forgot to mention.

Blue Jam

Finding all of the Starbender Cycle books in Prey

Finding all of the Nazi pop records in Wolfenstein II

That's how collectibles should be done.

Bhazor

Last week in light of the City Builder thread I downloaded, installed and beat Tropico 4 on its hardest difficulty entirely at 4x speed all in the space of 3 hours. After Dwarf Fortress all city builders are pissville.

LanceUppercut

COD 2 and 3 on veteran , brilliant games both of them and there is a great sense of achievement in doing that.

Tried it with COD WAW, impossible you just get grenade spammed through it.

Oh and cm01/02 on my xbox i got to the end of the game after 30 seasons,  a message just came up saying it's time to retire. Also the time put into that game and 02/03 is ridiculous,  one of my save slots says i had playing time of 3 months 27 days, and i must have had loads of save files which when i totted it all up. Must have played over a whole year of my life in total, that's  24 hours a day over the whole year.

What a valuable waste of time  that was, got my moneys worth out of it.for sure.

Twed

VVVVVV

Could do this multiple times (50?) in a row. Creator of game crowned me The Best. Also did it once with my eyes closed.

Bhazor

I remember the first time I managed that. Except I landed on the left side of the platform at the end.