Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you like.

Started by Icehaven, October 03, 2018, 11:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Someone gets hit by a bus/truck. Usually goes like the character is leaving a coffee shop or college campus or wherever, and is like 'Don't worry about me, I'm gonna live forever' or 'Who gets killed by being hit by a bus anyway?' or something that telegraphs what is usually supposed to be a jump-scare type deal. Before they even say stuff like this, you get the sense that this might be about to happen from how the pre-bus hit shot is being established. What I like is how the bus/ruck is always going about 80mph on a road you'd think would have some kind of speed limit. And splatting into a human doesn't phase them, they just speed through the shot having mown down a cocky teenager who forgot the green cross code.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 09, 2018, 12:02:50 PM
Someone gets hit by a bus/truck. Usually goes like the character is leaving a coffee shop or college campus or wherever, and is like 'Don't worry about me, I'm gonna live forever' or 'Who gets killed by being hit by a bus anyway?' or something that telegraphs what is usually supposed to be a jump-scare type deal. Before they even say stuff like this, you get the sense that this might be about to happen from how the pre-bus hit shot is being established. What I like is how the bus/ruck is always going about 80mph on a road you'd think would have some kind of speed limit. And splatting into a human doesn't phase them, they just speed through the shot having mown down a cocky teenager who forgot the green cross code.

This isn't really a cliche, but the above has done gone reminded me of the classic original ending of the classic Silver Dream Racer ( 1980 ) starring classic David Essex. Any David Essex fan who hasn't seen that film and the classic ending shouldn't read the next bit, orbviously, cos it'll be all spoilery.

So yer man Essex wins the race in which all the motorbikes have to go very fast indeed around a circuit. So, having gone past the finishing line all victorious, he raises his arms in the air, in a gesture indicative of triumph. In order to perform this gesture satisfactorily, he must take his hands from offa the handlebars of his Silver Dream Machine. Which means he loses control of his motorised bicycle, goes crashing into a wall, and instantly expires in a fireball of death. And other competitors drive past giving cursory , nonchalant glances in a blithe " oooh, just fancy that " style. It's the most hilarious ending to a film I've ever sen in my little old life. As you were.

Blumf

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 09, 2018, 11:05:22 PM
This isn't really a cliche, but the above has done gone reminded me of the classic original ending of the classic Silver Dream Racer ( 1980 ) starring classic David Essex. Any David Essex fan who hasn't seen that film and the classic ending shouldn't read the next bit, orbviously, cos it'll be all spoilery.

...<theory>...

I thought - and for those David Essex fans who have been holding off for the film's 40th anniversary in two years time, spoilers! - the idea was, David Essex had obsessively refined the engine of the bike, by trimming off weight from the block and other castings, to such a point that it only lasted to the end of the race and no more. It was perfected for winning, but not a lap more. The engine gives up, blows up, and takes Mr. Essex with it.

I prefer him in The Big Bus

saltysnacks

Person walks into the darkness whilst asking who's there.

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 07, 2018, 11:56:44 AM
A very general one. Villains being incredibly stylish.

And the head villain being sardonic and sarcastic to his underlings, sometimes in a way they're too dim to get.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 09, 2018, 11:05:22 PM

So yer man Essex wins the race in which all the motorbikes have to go very fast indeed around a circuit. So, having gone past the finishing line all victorious, he raises his arms in the air, in a gesture indicative of triumph. In order to perform this gesture satisfactorily, he must take his hands from offa the handlebars of his Silver Dream Machine. Which means he loses control of his motorised bicycle, goes crashing into a wall, and instantly expires in a fireball of death. And other competitors drive past giving cursory , nonchalant glances in a blithe " oooh, just fancy that " style. It's the most hilarious ending to a film I've ever sen in my little old life. As you were.

Always quite liked the ending to Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry.

momatt

Person falling off cliff, or out of a tall building - next shot is obviously fake dummy.
Always cracks me up.
Bonus points if the next shot is the person dusting themselves off and walking away without a scratch.

Homeless man swigging out of a bottle, sees something unbelievable, looks at bottle and throws it away.
I'd love to see a compilation of those.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoMoreForMe

popcorn

Quote from: momatt on October 11, 2018, 08:19:59 AM
Person falling off cliff, or out of a tall building - next shot is obviously fake dummy.
Always cracks me up.
Bonus points if the next shot is the person dusting themselves off and walking away without a scratch.

Always happy for an opportunity to link to this.

momatt

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: momatt on October 11, 2018, 08:19:59 AM
Always cracks me up.

Laughing way too much at this, examples/compilations more than welcome.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on October 11, 2018, 03:03:46 PM
Laughing way too much at this, examples/compilations more than welcome.
There's a good un in Raw Deal: https://dai.ly/x2mlsyr Just after the minute mark here.

Small Man Big Horse

popcorn

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 11, 2018, 03:25:36 PM
Loved that, it made me laugh a great deal. Is the rest of the film any good?

I watched it in a group and have very fond memories of it. Charming and full of similarly pleasing silly moments.

Depressed Beyond Tables

AllisonSays

Weird shit happening on escalators (Carlito's Way, i'm sure there's more); the protagonist and the antagonist striding after one another on a tube or subway train, opening the doors between the carriages.

saltysnacks

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 11, 2018, 05:57:27 PM
https://youtu.be/_g6qgcFQQWo?t=210

You know you're fucked up when you're disappointed that the kid didn't splat on the concrete.