Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:47:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tourist Trap (new Sally Phillips sitcom)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 04, 2018, 12:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is up on BBC iplayer now, has anyone watched it out of interest? I'm planning on doing so tomorrow as after her Taskmaster appearance I'm all a bit in love with her.

Malcy

Yeah seen it was there last night but dozed off before I could play it! Be always loved Sally Phillips so it's a must watch!

metaltax

If you find you love Sally Phillips a bit too much, have a go at My Favourite Sitcom on Gold. She interviews a bunch of B- and C-list celebs about their favourite sketches and then attempts to recreate them or something. I don't know, I'd smashed my telly by the time they got to that bit of the advert.

RedRevolver

Quote from: metaltax on October 04, 2018, 02:22:15 PM
If you find you love Sally Phillips a bit too much, have a go at My Favourite Sitcom on Gold. She interviews a bunch of B- and C-list celebs about their favourite sketches and then attempts to recreate them or something. I don't know, I'd smashed my telly by the time they got to that bit of the advert.

In all fairness to Sally, there's something in her eyes which suggests that she's all too aware it's a shit idea but by God, kids are expensive.

This is...by the numbers. Not terrible or anything but absolutely exactly what you'd think a mockumentary style sitcom set in Welsh tourism would be

BritishHobo

Was excited for this because it's part of a Welsh comedy season, and it also features Tudur Owen and Elis James. I did enjoy parts but, as has been said, a bit what you'd expect. The scene with the unintentionally rude hashtags felt like it's been done in everything.

But I'm glad seeing Wales and Welsh writers getting to be celebrated and showed off in comedy so FUCK OFF BritishHobo you naysayer.

I quite enjoyed it, bar a few bubble-bursting broad bits.

Miles better than Gavin and Stacey.

poodlefaker

Susan Trap gives up her executive job in London to manage a B & B in rural Wales?

Finished the last couple of episodes, Mike Bubbins is really great in this isn't he

Malcy

Really like this. Loved Elaine quoting GLC songs to Eggsy. 'Ten fags, ten fags'!

Lot of recognisable Welsh actors as well. Laughed at the one who plays Beyonce in Stella proudly boasting its success.

Malcy

Jake Thingray

Yesterday, there was a radio-only special of this, on Radio Wales.https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kb3w Surely, only a frustrated little perv would listen to this in bed, as with the not very amusing and rather Daily Mailish sitcom Clare in the Community, in order for La Phillips' sexy and surprisingly deep voice to spur fantasies about that cutesy smiley face.

wooders1978

My uncles mate used to date her back in the 90s - a fine lass

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 23, 2020, 06:42:58 PM

"Morning Susan - ahaaaaa!!!"

While not a classic, this show is a notch above average. Especially for Wales.

(I live in Wales)

paruses

Watched ep 1 and not enjoying it. The mockumentary format seems so old fashioned and route 1 now it was distracting.

It also seems to trade on the joke that Wales Is Shit LOL and comes across as lazy, at best, rather than affectionate.

Direction like the social worker sitcom with Alan Davies/Jo Brand would have suited this better.

Laughed at the ci/chi/shit joke though.

paruses

Also why are the talking head bits filmed like NYPD Blue while more ad hoc shots are rock steady and others some unfathomable mix of the two? Just makes it seem more like an entry in a newcomers competition rather than a showcase of professional Welsh TV comedy production.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Jake Thingray on June 23, 2020, 06:38:58 PM
Yesterday, there was a radio-only special of this, on Radio Wales.https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kb3w Surely, only a frustrated little perv would listen to this in bed, as with the not very amusing and rather Daily Mailish sitcom Clare in the Community, in order for La Phillips' sexy and surprisingly deep voice to spur fantasies about that cutesy smiley face.

Only just caught up with this show and it was pleasantly enjoyable for a Welsh comedy. That radio special doesn't seem to be available any more, don't suppose anyone grabbed it?

buzby

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 23, 2020, 06:42:58 PM
Before or after Milton Jones converted her?
I don't think she'll be working with Stewart Lee again any time soon.

Zetetic

I'm not sure that follows from what's in that article.

Danger Man

Quote from: buzby on August 17, 2020, 10:54:08 AM

I'm sure I read an interview many years ago where she said she became a Christian because she went in a church and the next person who came in looked like her and that was a sign from God.

paruses

Quote from: buzby on August 17, 2020, 10:54:08 AM
Most shocking thing about that is that I thought Sarah Alexander was in Smack the Pony.

What was she in then? They did a running naked vets sketch.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: paruses on August 22, 2020, 10:51:41 AM
Most shocking thing about that is that I thought Sarah Alexander was in Smack the Pony.

What was she in then? They did a running naked vets sketch.

Armstrong and Miller, another C4 sketch show.

Solid Jim

Quote from: paruses on August 22, 2020, 10:51:41 AM

Sarah Alexander was in Smack The Pony, but she was not designated as one of the main three ones, in the same way that Darren Boyd wasn't.

paruses

Quote from: Solid Jim on August 22, 2020, 12:06:07 PM
Sarah Alexander was in Smack The Pony, but she was not designated as one of the main three ones, in the same way that Darren Boyd wasn't.

Ah, good. Also - thanks for reminding me where I first saw Darren Boyd.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 22, 2020, 11:16:31 AM
Armstrong and Miller, another C4 sketch show.

Can't believe I forgot that was Armstrong and Miller.

Blue Jam

Quote from: RedRevolver on October 04, 2018, 05:16:59 PM
In all fairness to Sally, there's something in her eyes which suggests that she's all too aware it's a shit idea but by God, kids are expensive.

And to be even more fair to her, she has a son with Down's and I think she has said somewhere that needing to care for him full-time was the reason why she stopped doing comedy work for several years.