Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:58:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kate Bush Remasters

Started by Natnar, October 04, 2018, 01:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassbath

Quote from: popcorn on October 19, 2018, 01:59:03 PM
Oi, Kate aficionados. What is the general opinion on her later work?

Not an aficionado by any means, but Aerial is a masterful album - disc 1 is probably my favourite solid run of songs she's done.

popcorn

Do you think Ariel was damaged or enriched by the Rolf Harris revelation?

New Jack

That Deeper Understanding remix from the Director's Cut is charmless gash

Not even prescient any more

Also This Woman's Work. Could bloody tear up at the original's sheer fucking soul in the (plink plonk) oooh--hooo-oooh intro.

Hope this is more a remaster than remix given those two clunkers. She couldn't have made a worst move

biggytitbo

Aerial is easily as good as her best works, and I think a coral room quite possibly the best song she has ever put out, if not the best song ever written in fact. It's a consistently great album.

From there on, it's more difficult, I'm certainly not a fan of the directors cut, even if a couple of the tracks are worthwhile. 50 words for snow is fine, some good songs, some long meandering indulgences. It's mostly a bit meh unfortunetly., at least compared to Kates own work.

Natnar

Quote from: popcorn on October 20, 2018, 04:55:32 PM
Do you think Ariel was damaged or enriched by the Rolf Harris revelation?
I've heard a few people say that they can't listen to A Sky Of Honey any more because of Rolf. I suppose it's possible that Kate may have replaced him with someone else for the remaster, although you can already get a Rolf-less Sky Of Honey on the Before The Dawn album.

popcorn

Rolf made A Sky of Honey unlistenable to me even before it turned out he was a sex offender. This is one of the facets of Kate I can't get behind, a sort of naff playschool theatricalism. See also the bits written by David Mitchell (an author I otherwise love) on  Before the Dawn.

Natnar

Interesting rumour going around from someone who has heard preview tracks from the remasters that Rolf has been replaced by Bertie on the Aerial remaster...

daf

I hope they restore the chapter points on the second disc - I bought mine a bit late and had the misfortune to end up with the one track version with all the tracks joined together (lasting 40 minutes!).

Natnar

Quote from: daf on October 29, 2018, 02:07:19 PM
I hope they restore the chapter points on the second disc - I bought mine a bit late and had the misfortune to end up with the one track version with all the tracks joined together (lasting 40 minutes!).
I think it's back to 9 tracks on the remasters, all the tracks seem to be listed instead of just "An Endless Sky Of Honey"

mobias

Whatever happened to the concert film that was supposed to come out?

Natnar

Quote from: mobias on October 29, 2018, 06:25:34 PM
Whatever happened to the concert film that was supposed to come out?

I don't think that's ever coming out.

Head Gardener

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Bertie McIntoshFrightened the wits out of my mum and dad...

Cuntbeaks

Head Gardener

major cock-up on the debut album spine, ffs

popcorn

Ha ha ha, is that real?

e: it is. I love it.

Natnar

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 19, 2018, 10:57:59 AM

Seems to be quite a few of them about, nice thing to hang on to though, might fetch a good price on ebay in a few years..

I think the remasters sound really good from the ones i've heard so far. The early albums especially have a fuller sound to them, Kate's vocals don't seem to dominate the mix as much since all the instruments backing her are much clearer. There's loads of little details that are easier to make out now.

Also for those who were wondering it sounds like Rolf is still on The Dreaming but his Didgeridoo credit on the song has been removed from the album booklet.

biggytitbo

Its a bit unfair on Rolf to keep him on the record but take his name off isnt it? Hasn't he suffered enough :(

popcorn

Is the Wuthering Heights guitar solo still really quiet? I remember always being bothered by that and then reading an interview with the producer where he said the same thing, and feeling vindicated.

wosl

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 19, 2018, 10:57:59 AM

Pic being large and not resized, I initially missed the line at the top scrolling through, genuinely leading me to think, "Ah, a limited edition Kick Inside pencil. Must've been bundled with the initial numbers of the first pressing."

Head Gardener

Rolf edited from the credits, not so much of a cock up there - oof!

popcorn

Is there a consensus on which version of Wuthering Heights is the best?

biggytitbo

popcorn

I think Kate should have kept all the Rolf parts but just adjusted his credit on the liner notes to "Rolf Harris (paedo)".

daf

Quote from: popcorn on November 20, 2018, 07:54:37 AM
Is there a consensus on which version of Wuthering Heights is the best?

You mean the re-sung one done for the best of?

Actually, I don't think I've EVER heard it, so let's have a listen . . .  re-recorded vocal

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the original  - This new one has a touch of 'plum jam' fruitiness to it (too may ciggies?) - not keen on the extra 'ooh yeahs' at the end either.

On the plus side the guitar solo seems louder (and goes on longer).

New Jack

She's in the white dress in the original so I only ever listen to that one

daf

Love the red dress version - crazy dancing!