Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:28:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most Frightening Enemies in Gaming - A Halloween Special

Started by Kelvin, October 04, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

With Halloween fast approaching, let's compile a spine-tingling list of the enemies that most frightened us over the years. Not just in horror games, but across all gaming genres.

In other words, what enemies shit you up when you saw one, either because they were legitimately monstrous, or because you knew they'd fuck you up anyway.

Jaquio from Ninja Gaiden

In a game notorious for it's enemies being absolute bastards, it's impressive that Jaquio still manages to stand out. Profoundly creepy in the few dimly lit glimpses we see of him throughout the game, your final confrontation with him is nightmarishly hard, even compared to the final boss fight straight after it. Probably one of the greatest, and certainly most memorable, villains of the 8-bit era. Killing the cunt felt like a rite of passage.

thraxx

The spiders in Eye of The Beholder 1. The fucking noise they make when they jump out on you.

bgmnts

#2 Nemesis.

An enemy that literally doesn't die, chases you across the entire game at random points, growling "STARS" and accompanied by terrifying music. Shit. Me. Right up.

Just look at the cunt.

#3 Goro.

"8 feet tall, with four arms of terrah!"

The notorious prince of the Subterranean realm of Shokan, he shit me right up not just from the video games but also from his appearance in the films. I used to think he would slowly chase me and pick me up in his four arms and bash my head in. I didn't like it.

Just look at the cunt.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

On a similar note to Nemesis:

Technically more of an obstacle than an enemy - since you can't actually fight him most of the time - but Pyramid Head is nonetheless the (masked) face of terror.
Ignore all his subsequent appearances in the series, which totally missed the point of the character.

bgmnts

Pyramid may be the only one on this list to rape a mannequin in a kitchen sink. So for that he deserves a quiet respect.

popcorn

Replayed Metroid Fusion recently, which is even better than I remember, and was struck by how simple and effective the evil Samus is.

Being chased by her is a sexy thrill.

We all like Resident Evil 4. It wasn't very scary thought, was it?

Just you try telling that to these bastards.

Everything about them is horrifying: Their slow but sure gait. That terrible grin full of huge, razor sharp teeth. Those blood red eyes. That wheezing laugh.
No problem, you think. You'll just blast their head off with your trusty shotgun. OH SHITTING HELL!!! It's not stopping!

popcorn

Those RE4 things are brilliant. A great example of a game that just keeps escalating and escalating, throwing more and more spanners into the works. As opposed to flatlining into mediocrity ala RE7.

biggytitbo

Thursday

These creepy fuckers unnerve me far more than the actual alien with it's tethered AI that soon starts to get annoying and immersion breaking.

"Fire? Not arsed mate. Going to grab you now."

Phil_A

Watson from Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Incidentally, does anyone else think the quality of older videos on youtube has degraded massively? Is it just me? I suspect they may have batch-converted all the stuff originally uploaded in flash format to mp4, which might explain why all videos of 10 years or older suddenly look so much shittier.

Cuellar

Jerzy Bondov

I agree with the Granny's Garden witch, the Half-Life fish, and the Resident Evil 4 stretchy man. I'd like to add the Super Mario Bros 3 sun and the The Sentinel sentinel.

Blue Jam

biggytitbo

I think it's the noise, flickering lights and music that makes the poltergeist so creepy.

Great call on the androids from alien isolation, they were amazing and probably stole the show from the xenomorph itself. Obviously the necromorphs from dead space have to be up there too.

Jerzy Bondov

Bagman from Bloodborne. He's a tall bloke with one big hand and a bag. He puts you in the bag and takes you to gaol.

samadriel

Controllers in the STALKER games.  You can know exactly where one is and spend as long as you want preparing yourself to run in and charge them, but they'll still get you with their psychic attack.  This video shows how nasty STALKER can be at night even before it gets to the Controller.  I once had one psychically attack me from afar when I was standing in the middle of a minefield.  I was almost helpless, unable to run away or charge him, but eventually a few careful bursts to the head took him out.

Speaking of Bloodborne: The amusingly named Large Snake Balls creep me out.

I don't know why exactly. Their design is comparatively mundane by the game's standards. They aren't too difficult to deal with and, as far as I'm aware, I don't have a particularly great fear of snakes. Even so, I can't help but give them a wide berth

Quote from: Thursday on October 04, 2018, 06:24:53 PMThese creepy fuckers unnerve me far more than the actual alien with it's tethered AI that soon starts to get annoying and immersion breaking.

"Fire? Not arsed mate. Going to grab you now."

Good call. There's a bit in the Red Letter Media review of the game where one of them points out that the alien inspires too much nostalgia to be truly scary. not so with the these uncanny gits.

Sin Agog

holyzombiejesus

I had a PS2 years ago and had a game that I can't remember the name of. It was Japanese, a bit like Resident Evil and at one stage you were a young girl who (I think) had to help her little brother to escape from Zombies. You started the game having to get in to a police car. Think it had a one word title. Anyway, that was really scary but can't remember any specific baddies. Thanks.

bgmnts

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 05, 2018, 11:40:14 AM
I had a PS2 years ago and had a game that I can't remember the name of. It was Japanese, a bit like Resident Evil and at one stage you were a young girl who (I think) had to help her little brother to escape from Zombies. You started the game having to get in to a police car. Think it had a one word title. Anyway, that was really scary but can't remember any specific baddies. Thanks.

Biohazard?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 05, 2018, 11:40:14 AM
Maybe Siren?