Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:33:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most Frightening Enemies in Gaming - A Halloween Special

Started by Kelvin, October 04, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango Chimes

I won't screenshot because it'll be a bit of a spoiler to show its surroundings, but the fucking horse god thing in Breath Of The Wild gave me shivers.

Junglist

The only game I've ever played to shit me up so much I quit. Still have it on my hard drive, though. Superbly invokes confusion, dread and scares.

samadriel

Thursday

It's not actually available anymore but it was released as simply P.T - a playable teaser for a Silent Hill game that was going to be directed by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro, but it was cancelled when that relationship soured and Konami moved away from making video games.

Mister Six

I deleted that from my PS4 the day before it was pulled from the Playstation Store. Fucking gutted.

AsparagusTrevor

I lost PT when I upgraded my 500GB hard drive to a 2TB. I still have the old hard drive with the demo on and although I know it's of no use to anyone I can't bring myself to format it.

Mister Six

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 08, 2018, 04:17:30 PM
I lost PT when I upgraded my 500GB hard drive to a 2TB. I still have the old hard drive with the demo on and although I know it's of no use to anyone I can't bring myself to format it.

Did you do that yourself? I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a 2TB version. I want to keep my saves and stuff, though. Can I do that through clouds or whatever?

wooders1978

The alien from the recent alien franchise game had me shitting myself at points - I also have to say slender man shit me up a wee bit
Can't remember the name of the game but I think it was early 2000s FPS where a physicic wee girl was some sort of military weapon, was very scary in places too

Kelvin

Full disclosure, this thread was also intended for enemies that were really hard/difficult, and which you dreaded facing for that reason. It's not very clear in my OP.

Fuckers like this

who still cause me to regress to childhood and freeze up whenever I play the original game.

Father Gascoigne from Bloodborne is exceptionally scary. The multiple phases get worse and worse. Probably the most adrenaline has ever pumped round my body except when I've been chased by Triads.

Vicar Amelia probably has the most blood curdling scream, from the same game. Horrific.

Most frightening visual design is without doubt the wonderfully named Garden of Eyes.

Movement, sounds, look of the buggers. Pure nightmares. That fucking leap.

Z

No clue if he actually was for anyone else, but this bastard was a colossal difficulty spike for me and I had to let my brother finish him on my save to progress. Failed when I went back to try him again.

Mister Six

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 08, 2018, 07:17:50 PM
The alien from the recent alien franchise game had me shitting myself at points - I also have to say slender man shit me up a wee bit
Can't remember the name of the game but I think it was early 2000s FPS where a physicic wee girl was some sort of military weapon, was very scary in places too

Sounds like the appropriately named FEAR.

Kelvin

Ocarina of Time has an unusually high number of genuinely creepy enemies compared to other Zelda games.

These (already mentioned) pricks and that scream:

These guys:

and this awful thing:

All of which behave in a way that provokes panic; Redeads freezing you on the spot when they scream, then walking towards you slowly; Floormasters looming over you for some time as a whistling shadow; and Dead Hand actually requiring you to be captured and trapped before it appears and slithers towards you smeared in blood. The Well mini-dungeon contains all three, and is easily the scariest level in any Zelda game.     

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mister Six on October 08, 2018, 05:34:24 PMDid you do that yourself? I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a 2TB version. I want to keep my saves and stuff, though. Can I do that through clouds or whatever?

Yeah, it's extremely easy to swap drives, Sony hasn't tried to make it difficult which is very nice of them. If you've got PS Plus then it backs up your saves on the cloud, otherwise you can save them on a USB stick.

Redownloading my games was a bit of a bugger, but that was before they added USB drive support, now I think you can backup your games to an external drive - although I'm not 100% on that but I'm hoping it's right as I'm planning on getting a Pro in the near future and want to stick the 2TB drive in that.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kelvin on October 08, 2018, 08:21:36 PM
Ocarina of Time has an unusually high number of genuinely creepy enemies compared to other Zelda games.

These (already mentioned) pricks and that scream:

These guys:

and this awful thing:

All of which behave in a way that provokes panic; Redeads freezing you on the spot when they scream, then walking towards you slowly; Floormasters looming over you for some time as a whistling shadow; and Dead Hand actually requiring you to be captured and trapped before it appears and slithers towards you smeared in blood. The Well mini-dungeon contains all three, and is easily the scariest level in any Zelda game.     

When you think about it, Link had a big set of bollocks on him mind. He casually deals with stuff that'd make me break down mentally and weep to death.

Cuellar

Mister Six

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 08, 2018, 08:25:30 PM
Yeah, it's extremely easy to swap drives, Sony hasn't tried to make it difficult which is very nice of them. If you've got PS Plus then it backs up your saves on the cloud, otherwise you can save them on a USB stick.

Redownloading my games was a bit of a bugger, but that was before they added USB drive support, now I think you can backup your games to an external drive - although I'm not 100% on that but I'm hoping it's right as I'm planning on getting a Pro in the near future and want to stick the 2TB drive in that.

Brilliant, cheers!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kryton on October 05, 2018, 05:57:53 PM
The invisible thing in Amnesia: The dark descent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmw_c1vRuc

I came here to post that. Good call. Still the most frightening game I've ever played.

Well, in that case, I'll have to go for these suckers instead:

https://youtu.be/PbW2haEc4Ec?t=197

Fits the theme, given this level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7u-8qjqBmg

(Ooh, there's supposed to be a reboot coming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSI7nS2z-g)

Sinistar (Sinistar)
Only ever played this for the first time recently. At first, oh spinny asteroids, how quaint and then ROAAAAAAR! Absolutely amazing use of speech samples. It's SO aggressive and SO confrontational. I don't think I've ever run into a game character, so transparently, nakedly The Fucking Enemy. Brilliant.

Cacodemons (Doom)
I hate creatures with giant horrible smiles on giant horrible mouths. Maws. I don't mind sniping them across the arena, but hate them up close. I lost count of times you open a door at the top of a narrow path only to be confronted with SSSSSS!

Spider dickheads (System Shock 2)
Flat out stopped playing the game because of these. Never finished it. Never will.

Winter Lanterns (Bloodborne)
La la laa .....

Brundle-Fly

The dragons from Atari VCS Adventure

Not being facetious but the tension I'd feel when one of these crunchy sounding fuckers glided onto the screen in later levels was not inconsiderable.

We've come a long way since 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6-zN_eaRd8

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: ErnestTakadichi on October 09, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
Sinistar (Sinistar)
Only ever played this for the first time recently. At first, oh spinny asteroids, how quaint and then ROAAAAAAR! Absolutely amazing use of speech samples. It's SO aggressive and SO confrontational. I don't think I've ever run into a game character, so transparently, nakedly The Fucking Enemy. Brilliant.
I like the fact that the game shows you how far along the Sinistar's construction is every time you lose a life. It adds a ticking clock source of tension to the asteroid mining.

Quote from: ErnestTakadichi on October 09, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
Winter Lanterns (Bloodborne)
La la laa .....
How could I forget those utter bastards? Motherbrain's rebellious teen phase. They can kill you just by looking at you - even after they're dead.

Another one that gives lie to Bloodborne's "tough, but fair" reputation is the Blood Starved Beast. It moves at roughly 12% the speed of light and inflicts poison damage just by standing near you.

"Get good"? Get fucked!

machotrouts

The two-headed medieval lab assistants who splatter you across the screen in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.

"Warped" indeed!!!

They're also among the few Crash Bandicoot baddies who leave corpses. You can trampoline on their dead bloated bodies, which is probably supposed to be funny, and not grotesque and distressing.

mikeyg27

They're especially bad on the Xbox version (I assume other console versions too) where change camera angle is set to pressing the left stick, so being caught off-guard by one and an involuntary tensing of the hands leads to a mad scramble, and ultimately death.

QDRPHNC

The Division, the first time you see this bastard lumbering towards you down a dark hallway.

Johnny Yesno

The cocooned colonists in Alien Trilogy, human torsos kept alive by the presence of a chest burster, which will attack you if you get too close: https://youtu.be/Mv9NBUbpi7w?t=328. It's the 'What's that croaking noise?' going through your mind long before you see one and it dawns on you that really makes this sinister.

Golden E. Pump

Gaunter O'Dimm from Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone is one of the most mysteriously terrifying characters I've ever encountered. You don't know what he's capable of or why he's doing what he's doing. He's so unassuming and he gives me chills when he's on screen.

In terms of traditional 'monster enemies', can't beat this bit in Resident Evil. Part of the reason I'm sat on replaying the remake is because I just can't bring myself to fight these guys again halfway through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ntFBVXqPg

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on October 09, 2018, 05:23:20 PM
In terms of traditional 'monster enemies', can't beat this bit in Resident Evil. Part of the reason I'm sat on replaying the remake is because I just can't bring myself to fight these guys again halfway through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ntFBVXqPg

Gotta say, I lol'd. Would've only been funnier if he'd yelled 'Bastard!' in a Yorkshire accent.