Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most Frightening Enemies in Gaming - A Halloween Special

Started by Kelvin, October 04, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

I was always creeped out by this strange baddie in the NES version of Ikari Warriors:

He didn't directly attack the player - he's a drooling giant corpse in a chair - but you had to blow him up anyway. That, coupled with the fact the game was so hard/broken that you had to use the cheat code constantly while enduring incessantly horrible music. Good, good times.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on October 09, 2018, 05:23:20 PM
Gaunter O'Dimm from Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone is one of the most mysteriously terrifying characters I've ever encountered. You don't know what he's capable of or why he's doing what he's doing. He's so unassuming and he gives me chills when he's on screen.

Good call, I was especially creeped out when he paused time and casually pushed a wooden spoon deep into a random bystander's eyesocket just for kicks.  Someone at CDPR confirmed that he's based on Walter O'Dim / Randall Flagg from Stephen King's books and I think he's the best adaptation of that character so far, unofficial or otherwise.

monolith

The Butcher from Diablo:

I remember as a kid playing it with a mate and walking around the dungeons for ages walking up to completely nondescript doors and wondering "Is he in this room? Maybe this room? What about this room?" as I had been told about it by my cousin.

Eventually found the room above and shit myself realising that my search was at an end. Took me about 5 minutes to pluck up the courage to click on the door and when I did finally click and he shouted his "Fresh meat" thing I ran away screaming. Unfortunately it soon became clear that he was just as fast as me so thought I should probably at least try to hit him but after trying that and missing pathetically he suddenly twatted 2/3 of my health in seconds so I once again screamed and ran but he caught up when I got stuck at a door and hacked the fuck out of me and I died.

Very few things have scared me in a game before or since, although in retrospect he was pretty easy to kill when you realise he can't open doors or walk around stair cases.

Camp Tramp

This lovely creature from System Shock 2, I remember hearing it from afar and being on edge. That voice is so horrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbB9K9TjTo

madhair60

Just threw on a bit of Quake because it's terrific, and remembered how much I hate these things:

Nightmarish.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I enjoyed games where there was no big set up, but just the tension of a loading screen potentially revealing something in that room, static but immediately about to threaten you. Unlike open-world games you could never let your guard down for a second.

Moving on:

Playing as a marine in Aliens vs Predator (2000) is still shit scary. I know that's a character built up over the years to be as terrifying as possible but putting it in a game feels almost mean. Faster, cleverer, difficult to kill and even their blood hurts you.

Fast movement and keeping at a distance is one of the keys to completing levels but the knowledge of what could be around the corner means you have to resist every instinct in your body to take it slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZTfQAQaoY

You can tell just from the movements this player is making how on edge he is the whole time. That bit near the end, the squeal is enough to set the crosshair off halfway across the room.

Replies From View

Not exactly an enemy, but:

Fuck's sake.  Loads of scary images in Bip Bop 2, seemingly just for the hell of it.

monolith

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 20, 2018, 06:40:25 PM
I enjoyed games where there was no big set up, but just the tension of a loading screen potentially revealing something in that room, static but immediately about to threaten you. Unlike open-world games you could never let your guard down for a second.

Moving on:

Playing as a marine in Aliens vs Predator (2000) is still shit scary. I know that's a character built up over the years to be as terrifying as possible but putting it in a game feels almost mean. Faster, cleverer, difficult to kill and even their blood hurts you.

Fast movement and keeping at a distance is one of the keys to completing levels but the knowledge of what could be around the corner means you have to resist every instinct in your body to take it slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZTfQAQaoY

You can tell just from the movements this player is making how on edge he is the whole time. That bit near the end, the squeal is enough to set the crosshair off halfway across the room.
The motion detector in AVP is fantastic.

jimboslice

The most frightened I've been in a video game was in Metroid Prime when you pick up the thermal visor and the Space Pirates come to get and get you in the dark.

Other than that I used to be shit scared of Dr Robotnik in Green Hill Zone Act 3, but I was 6 years old and crap at Sonic.

Beagle 2

For me, the sheer panic when you stopped to pick up a pilot on Rescue on Fractalus and one of these green bastards popped up hasn't ever really been surpassed.

https://youtu.be/-3yEhnB5sL4