Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Heroes

Started by The Boston Crab, October 04, 2018, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mushihimesama Futari Black Label lunatic, Gus, from this episode of STG Weekly, gives his advice on how to get into shmups. Starts at 20:57.[/font]

[/font]
https://youtu.be/ZZeRl3NXsUQ[/font]

[/font]
The cool but totally unacceptable voice, the very specific niche interest, the corny cringeworthy element that requires genuine sincerity to be at all palatable, the dedication and insane skill. I have almost no respect for anyone but this guy is pure charisma, I'd love to ask him a shitload of questions.[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

31:30 is probably the greatest moment ever on STG Weekly.

I was absolutely knackered last night, can barely remember posting this. Was up since 4.

madhair60

Why is your hero a big nerd?

It's another world to me, basically. I am fascinated by how anyone can get to that point. Pure uselessness but somehow transcendental in a very specific weird way.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 05, 2018, 09:22:15 AM
It's another world to me, basically. I am fascinated by how anyone can get to that point. Pure uselessness but somehow transcendental in a very specific weird way.

Like your rating system.

My gaming hero, Gus, now follows me on Twitter and liked my Futari 1CC post. That's like Ronaldinho liking my keepy up vid.

Elite company.

It shows how far I've gone down the shmup rabbit hole in the last six months. It's been very rewarding.

Finally now I can just be happy.

Kelvin

My hero is Madhair60.

Quote from: madhair60 on October 05, 2018, 07:56:51 AM
Why is your hero a big nerd?

His comics make me laugh.

Twed

Opposite of a gaming hero really, and a story I've told before, but I had a job interview once and one of the interviewers turned out to be Kick Off creator Dino Dini, who was hostile throughout.

A couple of weeks later I saw him get fired for being absolutely useless, and then maybe a year later I was complicit in causing him to have an emotional outburst via Wikipedia which resulted in him recording an eight minute freeform song with a scat interlude.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007/09/23/kicking-off/

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on June 23, 2019, 10:33:50 AM
My hero is Madhair60.

His comics make me laugh.

I've been very depressed lately and this took the noose from around my neck. Thank you

Twed

Do you appreciate how hard I had to restrain myself from saying something cruel about you for an edgelord laugh? I clicked the reply button to destroy you, had an internal battle and then just accepted that we all need a cuddle.

Bazooka

Probably, 50 Cent, for allowing his voice and likeness to be used in the smash hit game 50 Cent: Bulletproof on PS2 and Xbox.

lazarou

Quote from: Twed on June 23, 2019, 03:04:27 PM
Opposite of a gaming hero really, and a story I've told before, but I had a job interview once and one of the interviewers turned out to be K*ck *ff creator D*no D*ni, who was hostile throughout.

That is incredible, randomly running into one of the true OG shitheads of gaming history. Didn't he used to have a D*rek Sm*rt-ian tendency to google himself into discussions?

'Legendary Arseholes Of Gaming' would make a fun thread but we'd probably be knee-deep in them before we got a page in.

As a semi-serious developer myself I do have a few actual heroes, your Sid Meiers and Dani Buntens and the like who seemed to magic entire genres out of thin air, but on the other side I have endless love for folks like the CRPG Addict or the Digital Antiquarian who devote themselves to covering whole eras of gaming that are all but lost to history. Pouring what must be thousands of hours into pieces on archaic PLATO RPGs and the commercial heyday of the TRS-80 because who the fuck else is going to.

Likewise, like many indies I have endless time for Jupiter Hadley, who all but is The Games Media if you're some nobody putting out a new game. An absolute star, if it weren't for her I can't even imagine the amount of games that wouldn't have even registered a blip on release. Mightn't mean much to the general gaming public but it means a hell of a lot to us lot.

QuoteMy hero is Madhair60.
Also gets my vote due to comprehensively and finally ruining Ashens for me in the best way possible.