Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hold The Dark- New Jeremy Saulnier Flick

Started by ads82, October 05, 2018, 09:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ads82

Anyone else seen this yet? It was released on Netflix a couple of weeks ago.

I thought Green Room was one of the best films of the last few years it's premise was fantastically executed and had me on the edge on of my seat throughout. So was really looking forward to his next flick, but this really disappointed me. It just felt uninspired, with lifeless characters making incomprehensible decisions with vaugue allusions to mythical Alaskan folklore that led to nothing.

Hopefully Gareth Evan's Apostle makes up for this disappointment.

Paaaaul

I watched it last night.
Easily Saulnier's least successful film to date, but I didn't dislike it. The realism of the violence coupled with the weirdness of the spirit stuff gives the film an unusual tone. It feels like the plot and motivations may have got broken in the editing room.

Mister Six

Netflix should be commended for letting creatives do their thing without messing with them - but at the same time films like Mute and apparently this show that a bit of producer prodding can sometimes be beneficial.

I'll give it a watch anyway but I'm disappointed it's been met with a muted response.

BlodwynPig

The title and imagery promises much yet the trailer stopped me investigating further.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Mister Six on October 06, 2018, 03:51:13 AM
Netflix should be commended for letting creatives do their thing without messing with them - but at the same time films like Mute and apparently this show that a bit of producer prodding can sometimes be beneficial.

I'll give it a watch anyway but I'm disappointed it's been met with a muted response.
Neither of the films you mentioned were produced by Netflix. They were both bought by Netflix.

Mister Six

Oh, okay. That's even less explicable, then.

zomgmouse

Quite disappointing but so was the book. Didn't really do much and felt way too serious for its own good.