Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Destruction Of The Halloween Universe/Canon

Started by Malcy, October 06, 2018, 01:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Is anyone excited about this new one? Everything after the first film is being disregarded. I can understand everything from 4 onwards but really! 2 is a great sequel. Follows on minutes from the original and is as good.

Obviously 3 is a non Shatner mask sequel but that doesn't matter because we all know that's the best one. (Cue Silver Shamrock song being stuck In your head for the next few weeks). It just seems unnecessary to wipe the second film.

When is Hollywood going to stop overwriting films just because they've had a different idea years later? Fucking sick of it.

Mister Six

They already overwrote everything except 1 and 2 with Halloween H20. And overwrote everything again with Rob Zombie's reboot.

Why does it matter? None of it is real. Just pretend this film doesn't exist if it bothers you.

kidsick5000

This new one is brilliant.
Given it's the xth installment and nth reboot AND who's behind it, it should not work.
But it is great and incredibly beautiful.

Brundle-Fly

A Hollywood horror franchise wouldn't be a Hollywood horror franchise without its very last breathe being choked from its corpse: revived, killed, resuscitated, ridiculed, rebooted, etc etc...

NoSleep

And Black Christmas is the best Halloween movie.

But does it feature the Halloween music and does the script include a gentle ribbing of the tropes Halloween helped establish?

NoSleep

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 06, 2018, 11:33:46 AM
But does it feature the Halloween music... ?

No.

Quote...and does the script include a gentle ribbing of the tropes Halloween helped establish?

Impossible as they had yet to become tropes.

DukeDeMondo

I'm not sure that curiousorange was talking about Black Christmas there.

Halloween 2 is pretty decent but it's nowhere near as good as the original. Nothing like as atmospheric and nowhere near as tense and menacing. It's possible that Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 is better, even.

NoSleep

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on October 06, 2018, 01:51:26 PM
I don't think curiousorange was talking about Black Christmas.

It looked to me like (s)he was responding to my post.

When I was at school someone told me that the white mask worn by the killer in Halloween is a mask of the guy from Star Trek. I was slightly aware of Star Trek and thought they meant:

Kane Jones

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on October 06, 2018, 01:51:26 PM
It's possible that Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 is better, even.

That's one of the most grotesque, unpleasant films I've ever sat through. Honestly, I thought it was fucking horrible. It's rare that horror films make me feel actually sick, but the violence in that movie was so horrific at times I thought I was going to puke. Yeesh, ghastly fillum.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Malcy on October 06, 2018, 01:00:20 AM
Is anyone excited about this new one? Everything after the first film is being disregarded. I can understand everything from 4 onwards but really! 2 is a great sequel. Follows on minutes from the original and is as good.

Never understood the love for 2. I think I saw it after H20, with Williamson et al saying it's the only good one, blah blah. But it's shit. I think it's worse than some of the weird later sequels because it's just drab. Halloween's an incredibly stylish ghost story. Halloween 2 is drab both in its story and in execution. The Shape is no longer the bogeyman, but just Laurie's vindictive and unrealistically strong brother. It's all set at night, so there's none of the lovely daytime ordinary eerieness of the first film. And the deaths are both more grim and more stupid, with cars and buildings EXPLODING. It's a hacky B-movie sequel to an unexpected art movie.

Bad Ambassador

I agree about H2. The deaths are so much more gruesome, purely because that's what other movies were doing and Carpenter felt he had to keep pace. One character dies from a concussion, Laurie's crush is dressed as Michael Myers while trick-or-treating apparently on his own, Michael writes a clue to his motivation on a blackboard for no reason and the reveal that he's Laurie's brother makes it all incredibly dull and mundane. He isn't a mysterious inhuman force, he's just a nutter trying to kill his family for no reason. Most of the sequels are crap, with only H20 working because it tries to emulate the style of the original. The problem is that it's saddled with the dull backstory and gory conventions the series had accumulated thanks to H2. The resulting film, shorn of credits, is a full 75 minutes long.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 08, 2018, 11:29:00 AM
I agree about H2. The deaths are so much more gruesome, purely because that's what other movies were doing and Carpenter felt he had to keep pace. One character dies from a concussion, Laurie's crush is dressed as Michael Myers while trick-or-treating apparently on his own, Michael writes a clue to his motivation on a blackboard for no reason and the reveal that he's Laurie's brother makes it all incredibly dull and mundane. He isn't a mysterious inhuman force, he's just a nutter trying to kill his family for no reason. Most of the sequels are crap, with only H20 working because it tries to emulate the style of the original. The problem is that it's saddled with the dull backstory and gory conventions the series had accumulated thanks to H2. The resulting film, shorn of credits, is a full 75 minutes long.

He was always just some nutter who tried to kill his family.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: bgmnts on October 08, 2018, 11:43:21 AM
He was always just some nutter who tried to kill his family.

Not in the first film he isn't.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 08, 2018, 12:31:09 PM
Not in the first film he isn't.

Didn't he stab his sister to death with a knife? Am I thinking of 2?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: bgmnts on October 08, 2018, 12:42:41 PM
Didn't he stab his sister to death with a knife? Am I thinking of 2?

But everyone else he stalks and attacks/kills is not a member of his family, nor is there any mention of him seeking to kill his family.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 08, 2018, 01:37:43 PM
But everyone else he stalks and attacks/kills is not a member of his family, nor is there any mention of him seeking to kill his family.

Fair enough. None of it makes any sense to me its all just a bit of bollocks.

It's all explained nicely here, it makes perfect sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpc7eYkVmXk

BritishHobo

Been working through this franchise for the first time because of this new film. The big surprise for me is I thought this was meant to be special because it's the first time Curtis has reprised her role, that that was lending this credibility. I'd no idea she'd done it twice in the late nineties/early noughties. How many other franchises have done that, had the main star return as a retcon, only to do a later re-retcon again with the same star?

Famous Mortimer

I guess I'll watch it, but Halloween's been really really rubbish for way longer than it was good (given it was only good for one movie, you Halloween 3 revisionists can suck it). H20 is fun, ish, that one with Busta Rhymes might be the worst film I've ever seen, and, er, etc. Oh wait, the one with Paul Rudd is the worst film I've ever seen. The Mark of Thorn!

I thought with the swathe of remakes of horror movies around 2008-2012 that we were free of this. But sadly not.

PS Black Christmas is fucking brilliant.

Dex Sawash

What if they did it where Jason was a female?

edit- check out this dunce, obviously I meant Freddy

Bad Ambassador

saltysnacks

Quote from: NoSleep on October 06, 2018, 11:40:59 AM
Impossible as they had yet to become tropes.

Your statement doesn't contradict his, he said the 'tropes Halloween helped establish', which doesn't imply they were tropes at the point of the film's inception. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Shaky

Spotted this on ebay while doing a search for Michael masks and I can't stop laughing:

Nicholas Cage, surely?

Bazooka

Quote from: Shaky on October 20, 2018, 05:59:08 AM
Spotted this on ebay while doing a search for Michael masks and I can't stop laughing:

Nicholas Cage, surely?

Myers has been working that neck hard in the gym, ignoring shoulders.

Mango Chimes

Also, appears to have been photographed sat down at the hairdressers.

Replies From View

New Jack

Avclub says the new one is shit but the main fella off We Hate Movies reckons it's boss as fuck

... I'm a Millenial, aren't I

Bad Ambassador

AV Club are wrong. Theirs is the only bad review I've seen.