Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,476
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:42:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GOTY 2018 (75% Complete Edition)

Started by The Boston Crab, October 06, 2018, 05:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
With less than a quarter of the calendar year remaining, let's keep this inane tradition going.

What is THE BEST at this point for you?

Or what have you enjoyed THE BEST for a different perspective maybe?

I'll write mine later, we have our dinner dead early. Just want to give you some THINKIN TIME 

Kelvin

Played a lot of really good games, but pretty much no great ones this year, I've decided. All the ones I loved at the time have failed to leave any impression longer term (Celeste, Bloodborne, Steamworld Dig 2), and the rest were really good despite their many problems (Hollow Knight, Xenoblade 2).

In fact, ironically, the game that left the biggest impression, and which I most want to replay, was actually the game I found most annoying during my initial playthrough - namely Hollow Knight. Despite it's repetition and backtracking, that game definitely was satisfying, immersive and atmospheric in ways that nothing else has managed so far in 2018.   

All that said, the game I've played most this year is Breath of the Wild, which I watched my 10 year old niece play through, and then played through again, myself, in Master Mode. Reckon I must have way over 500 hours in that game, over various accounts, at this point.

I didn't know you'd played Bloodborne! Was it a typo for that 8-bit Blood something game?

I also think your very good but not great assessment is pretty much spot on. I think it's been a fantastic year for games overall, arguably even better than last year from my personal perspective, but there haven't been any genuine all timers released (for the first time). The biggest games are pretty much cookie cutter or derivative, or familiar iterations. I'd be hard pressed to say that MHGU is an all-timer despite possibly being the best ever MH game, because it's so indebted to what's gone before.

Dragonball FighterZ is probably the best 'new' game but that was released last year on other formats

My actual favourites, and some of my favourites ever, have been shmup re-releases or just old shmups I've played for the first time.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 06, 2018, 07:35:17 PM
I didn't know you'd played Bloodborne! Was it a typo for that 8-bit Blood something game?

Ha, good spot. You're right. I meant Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Dark Souls Remastered on Switch will be my first Souls game.

I also forgot to add Wolfenstein 2 to that list of games I liked a lot, despite having loads of problems, and Ikaruga to that list of games that I loved, but didn't really stick with me. 

Consignia

It's a tough one, but the best is clearly Kemono Friends Picross. I mean it's Picross, nuff said.

S+ / SS+++++++ / SSSS.Gridman

biggytitbo

I'm mostly years behind, but the best game I have played that came out this year is Spiderman, an incredibly polished fun ride, with almost perfect pacing, gameplay variety and level design.

magval

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 06, 2018, 09:13:18 PM
I'm mostly years behind, but the best game I have played that came out this year is Spiderman, an incredibly polished fun ride, with almost perfect pacing, gameplay variety and level design.

Samesies. Haven't enjoyed a game as much in a long time.

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on October 06, 2018, 05:54:17 PM
Played a lot of really good games, but pretty much no great ones this year, I've decided. All the ones I loved at the time have failed to leave any impression longer term (Celeste, Bloodborne, Steamworld Dig 2), and the rest were really good despite their many problems (Hollow Knight, Xenoblade 2).

In fact, ironically, the game that left the biggest impression, and which I most want to replay, was actually the game I found most annoying during my initial playthrough - namely Hollow Knight. Despite it's repetition and backtracking, that game definitely was satisfying, immersive and atmospheric in ways that nothing else has managed so far in 2018.   

All that said, the game I've played most this year is Breath of the Wild, which I watched my 10 year old niece play through, and then played through again, myself, in Master Mode. Reckon I must have way over 500 hours in that game, over various accounts, at this point.

I'm sorry but many of these were released in 2017. They got their switch release in 2018, but they're still ineligible. Ban Kelvin from the thread please.

I've got to say Assassin's Creed Odyssey is one of the best games of the year, and I'm genuinely shocked. It's the Sennheiser HD650 of videogames. It's a not the best at anything but it does everything really well so the overall effect is a feeling of constantly stimulating and varied pleasure. You feel like you're truly in safe hands and no matter how you play, it'll be a good time. That's a very rare feeling.

For comparison, I hate this kind of game a lot. God of War, Tomb Raider, HZD, all that shit. It's basically garbage, but this hits a sweet spot in pretty much every way so far. Busting into some wanker's house to rob his treasure to weaken the forces in this area of the land. Keep it simple and stealthy, no need to even slaughter the main baddie, just nice and clean and then oh fuck, one of the guards is the cunt who paid for that bounty hunter that's been stalking you for the last couple of hours. Take your chance now, cut the guy's throat and they bounty will evaporate like his damn life and the merc will get off your case. It's worth the risk. Snicker snack. Get in Hades.

Oh shit.

Spotted by a goon.

Only one solution.

Barbecue the lot of the bastards and hoof the bandit leader off the top of a building into the damn sea.

EREKT

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on October 06, 2018, 09:51:10 PM
I'm sorry but many of these were released in 2017. They got their switch release in 2018, but they're still ineligible. Ban Kelvin from the thread please.

Yes, but 2017 was an insanely good year for games, with too many to play, so I was granted an extension.

Bhazor

In terms of joy probably Yakuza 0. It just makes me happy like nothing else.

Compared to last year this year has been pretty lean. Mostly disappointments like Monster Hunter World which after 6 months delay still managed to be a shit PC port. Which still has massive game breaking bugs and no hd textures. Still a very good game even if it is way easier than Tri. Pillars of Eternity 2 was gash in stark contrast to their previous game Tyranny. I'm only a couple hours into Dragon Quest XI but its failed to grab me the way 7 and 8 did.

Honestly the games I've enjoyed most this year were games from late last year. Original Sin 2 might be one of the best CRPG games ever made. Certainly from a mechanical standpoint. Total Warhammer 2 is wonderfully decadent fanservice nonsense.

Edit: Though I do think it was a good year for indies. Iconoclasts is a gorgeous lovingly crafted little platformer. The little bit I played of Deadcells suggest it could have a bit of that Binding of Isaac magic. That Bloodstained 8bit game was quietly brilliant. Into the Breach is my current podcast game.

I totally forgot about Monster Hunter World. Great looking game, easy to get some fun MP on the go but the SP stuff was a fair chore and so much of the MH experience was stripped out overall. While it seems wanky to say that it's not the same unless you're throwing paintballs and crafting your own potions manually and so on, it's very interesting in hindsight how much the grafting and inventory management stuff makes you feel like it's a proper 'hunt'. I had more tense and exciting battles in ten hours of MHGU than I did in fifty of MHW.

Bhazor

I don't mind the lack of paintballs and crafting. I definitely prefer the tracking system in this than the terrible walk into every zone until monster appears of Tri. Its the fact I was able to beat Rathalos first time without carting that makes me feel it's been made too easy. It feels like I've too much mobility like the monsters still have their old animations but I'm using new much faster ones.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The game I've probably ended up enjoying the most is Two Point Hospital. Yes, once you work out that you can just game the systems (e.g. no benches, spam pictures in rooms to increase level,), it becomes slightly formulaic. But the overall presentation is utterly charming and amusing. The visuals and details are a joy (you can just have fun delving into the details of each patient or staff member). Some things are a tad broken (path finding, the space-time continuum), but as an experience it is like the childhood memory of Theme Hospital you have (which is actually a bit of a pig to play in modern times).

My GF does mock me for playing a hospital simulation game when I spend most work days in them as well.

Timothy

Best:
1. Spider-man. Great open world, good fighting system, cool story.
2. Dragon Quest. Up until the last chapter a great old school RPG.
3. Yakuza Kiwami 2. Best Yakuza game on PS4.
4. Fire Pro Wrestling World. Old school wrestling.
5. RDR 2. Gonna be awesome.

Worst:
1. Ni No Kuni 2. Dragon Quest ripoff.
2. Far Cry 5. Boring.
3. Shenmue. Boring mess.
4. Xenoblade 2. Boring.
5. Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Short, bad story, bugged.

MojoJojo

Interesting no one's put God of War on their top list yet, given how much hype and the good reception it got at the time. Makes me feel better about waiting.

My top game would probably have to be Into the Breach, since I think it's the only game released this year I've played.