Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

(Sandy) Alex G

Started by alan nagsworth, October 07, 2018, 03:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Y'all fuck with this guy?

My god, he is absolutely wonderful. If you dig stuff like Sparklehorse, Eels, Elliott Smith or Jeff Mangum - that is to say you like folk-leaning alt-rock that isn't afraid to dip into sound experimentation and carries a transcendent, melancholic beauty - and you've not had the pleasure of listening to "Rocket" yet, you're gonna be thanking me afterwards. This shit is straight-up gold.

There's just such an open heart in all of his music, even when it's being minimal or weird the same emotion is oozing out of those tracks as they are from the more straight-forward folk numbers. At times, it's downright fuckin' beautiful. I became quickly obsessed with "Rocket", and its bizarre noisy/shouty two-song detour in the middle of it, and sunk right into "Trick" soon after. I'm still yet to check out the rest because these two albums have such a stranglehold on me, but I will and I'm sure they'll be good.

Proud

Judge

Guilty

Sarah

Mary

Don't leave me hanging here, gang.

chveik

Wonderful indeed! This is just what I needed to brighten this sunday afternoon, so thanks!

alan nagsworth

Poor response to new music here as per usual (except you, chveik. Thanks). This subforum is starting to bum me out.

riotinlagos

Listened to Beach Music and Trick a lot but havenae clicked with his latest one yet. Big fan of this wee rarity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6yp9lUjiew

Twed

alan nagsworth

There's a new album coming this year, and he's released a single, and it's fucking excellent. I adore this man's music. Fuck this thread.

Gretel

Makes me think of (Sunchyme) Dario G, so thanks. A great tune to start the day.

alan nagsworth

Who's that? Educate me a li'l.

If you dig that tube deffo go and listen to the album Rocket. It's gorgeous.

Captain Z

Like American Badly Drawn Boy.

alan nagsworth

WRONG GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY THREAD "CAPTAIN"

selectivememory

Haven't been blown away by anything I've heard of his up to now, but I do really like this new song. Pleasantly reminiscent of Elliott Smith.

alan nagsworth

Damn he's put out another two teaser tracks huh. Will check these out later. I still absolutely love the shit out of Gretel, as mentioned above. Very excited for this album.

riotinlagos

All the songs from the new album sound like a step up from his previous stuff. He's touring over here in February, I've got tickets for the Hackney show.

alan nagsworth

Rocket was a step up from his previous stuff as well. He definitely is evolving as an artist, something which is always great to be a witness to.

selectivememory

The new album is out now btw. I think it's really good, definitely the best of his stuff that I've heard so far (although I haven't really delved that deeply into his back catalogue yet). And "Southern Sky" is one of the best new songs I've heard this year.

I do get strong Elliott Smith vibes from him (his voice mainly, but also in the way he constructs some of his songs), but he's definitely doing his own thing too, so he's not simply derivative, and also he doesn't sound chronically depressed.

Ja'moke

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 08, 2018, 01:34:59 PM
Poor response to new music here as per usual (except you, chveik. Thanks). This subforum is starting to bum me out.

My thread on JPEGMAFIA's amazing new album died a death.

Thanks for posting about Alex G. He's someone I've been meaning to check out for a while and his new record is really bloody good.

alan nagsworth

Weeell I probably need to let this one sit with me a little longer because on first listen I was very disappointed. "Gretel" is still an incredible tune and there's some good shit on this album but largely it just felt like he's trying to go down the Bon Iver kooky experimental route (though obvs they both have their own thing going on) and not doing a great job of it.

He's always had this stuff going on in his music but it was used far more deftly and blended in nicely with his odd folk sound, whereas here it's like, half the album is that stuff. The folk stuff is way better!

I am having a stupidly obsessive binge of new hip hop this week so I've not been in the mood for him at all but I will head back to it soon.

kitsofan34

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 19, 2019, 05:01:17 PM
My thread on JPEGMAFIA's amazing new album died a death.

Thanks for posting about Alex G. He's someone I've been meaning to check out for a while and his new record is really bloody good.

Last week was in-sane for new album releases. You had Alex Cameron, Sandy Alex G, JPEG MAFIA, Chelsea Wolfe, Ama, Jerkcurb, Charli XCX, Jenny Hval and Metronomy.

JPEG's album is probably the strongest, much better use of melody compared to Veteran. Would love to see him live, though am an anxious little sod at concerts.

Also really like Alex G's new one quite a bit, guy seems eminently listenable no matter which record of his you put on. Going to go see him live in February, much easier to skulk quietly in the back at that one.