Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Digitiser Online Series & Mr Biffo's Found Footage

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 07, 2018, 04:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I've only just discovered that Paul Rose (of Digitiser and Biffovision fame) created a new online series in 2016 / 2017, a take on the 'found footage' videos that a good few comedians have made a career out of mocking, except these are all fake and created by the man himself. The playlist for the series is here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdmivFeOI4qm27xdZs9-O8wdm2s91uRyx - I've only watched the pilot so far but loved it a great deal and hope the rest of it is as good.

He's also making an online Digitiser tv series, complete with Mr T, and a trailer's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_2vJMgc9HA

So now I can finally forgive him for writing Pudsey The Dog: The Movie.

Mango Chimes

Found Footage has a VHS effect lazily slapped on HD widescreen video. Can't get past that, I'm afraid. Can't get past it.

PlanktonSideburns

I quite like the half arsed vhs Ness of it - I'd usually be with you on the authenticity train, but because it's sort of a parody of those ARG type videos, the trope of lazy vhs plugins feels right for me

PlanktonSideburns

Some great tunes on it also!

SIR CLIVE SIR CLIVE

SIN CLAAAAAAAAIRE

Enzo

Chriddof

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 07, 2018, 04:15:55 PM
So now I can finally forgive him for writing Pudsey The Dog: The Movie.

There's quite a cutting parody of Pudsey The Dog in this - two, in fact. The first is musical and has a very Victor Lewis-Smith circa TV Offal feel to it. The second isn't as good. The "Sexy Christmas USA" song is pretty amazing in that it's the sort of daftness that could have slotted quite neatly into this compilation by avant garde sound collagist Vicki Bennett: Smiling Through My Teeth

Quote from: Mango Chimes on October 07, 2018, 05:35:26 PM
Found Footage has a VHS effect lazily slapped on HD widescreen video. Can't get past that, I'm afraid. Can't get past it.

The fake VHS effect on widescreen is a bit annoying, that is true, but this was all originally released in dribs and drabs before Youtube made it possible to present 4:3 videos without pillarboxing them. I can tell the VHS plugin is the exact same one used as everywhere else, partially because it's the only one widely available, but also because the picture is way dimmer and murkier than it should be, which nobody on Youtube seems to notice. (Seriously, that plugin really fucks up the contrast and I don't know why.)

Overall I do like Found Footage, though. It's like a cheapo British version of Tim & Eric, only sort of more charming simply on account of being almost void of that peculiarly American version of slick corporate repulsiveness that Tim and Eric exploit. ("Almost" being down to Goujon John.) I know Digitiser's never got much of a fair shake round here, with Barry Admin in particular hating it, but it did have quite an effect on me in its Teletext days, and some of it still holds up.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea Tim and Eric on bovril was what I was thinking. Revels in its charm, is outdated on multiple levels at once, dedicated garbage with some pure giggles in

Shaky

Re Digitiser - The Series...

So much of the charm of the original came not just from the writing but the format and the way the reader had to interact/wrestle with Teletext. Biffovision couldn't replicate that and grew quite tiresome after a while so not sure a new series can really work either.

petril

The Mr T guy hasn't really got the delivery right. The whole point of Mr T is that he was a shit actor but they went with it. Very disappointed. Could've probably got the real T anyway

Twed

Quote from: Shaky on October 08, 2018, 06:23:17 AM
Re Digitiser - The Series...

So much of the charm of the original came not just from the writing but the format and the way the reader had to interact/wrestle with Teletext. Biffovision couldn't replicate that and grew quite tiresome after a while so not sure a new series can really work either.
Those are my feelings. Biffo was best when working with those restrictions, and everything since has been a bit like John K's Ren & Stimpy post-Nickelodeon restrictions.

madhair60

I wish he'd do another book. His stuff works much better written down rather than being performed.

An "annual" of just utter Biffo nonsense would be great.

RedRevolver

Aye, my brother's a big fan and I posted a comment back in 2016 about really wanting some fried chicken and he sent me the Goujon John video.

Never heard of Biffovision before, so it was a nice little rabbit hole that I fell into, watched the found footage from the beginning etc.

For some reason, the Steve Wozniak song is a stand out for me. Dunno why, it just really tickles me.

Tremendous fondness for those Digitiser days but Biffovision was stilted shit and I think this is on the same level. Maybe funny in the written word but awkward as soon as it's delivered, far too self-conscious and syntactically jarring. My posts are the same.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 11, 2018, 11:07:00 PM
Tremendous fondness for those Digitiser days but Biffovision was stilted shit and I think this is on the same level. Maybe funny in the written word but awkward as soon as it's delivered, far too self-conscious and syntactically jarring. My posts are the same.

You're right about a lot of things Bosto but not this. Now watch it again and again until you agree with me. Or else!

I promise I will give it a proper another go. I really like the man and The Man and you.

rimbaud

His insane writing nonsense is excellent, but difficult to translate to video.  Interested in how the TV series pans out.

Phil_A

Not sure putting himself front and centre in this is a great idea, as I don't think he's a great comedy performer. I also feel very conflicted whenever I see his stuff now, as while it's often pretty funny my past experiences of the bloke have given me a rather dim view of him.

It was such a formative experience getting into Digi, this whole secret little comedy world hidden in plain sight for years.

Natnar

Will mainly be watching this because of the Cheapshow podcast guys involvement.

MojoJojo

Did I dream it or didn't he write some kids film about a dog?

biggytitbo

I noticed he's roped in a lot of british gaming youtubers to be involved in this, Larry Bundy, Nostalgia Nerd, Kim Justice, Octavius Kitten etc. Can't help agree that it has car crash potential, not only because it doesn't work performed but because all of those people have their own styles which I'm not sure will really gel within that digitiser/mr biffo world.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 15, 2018, 02:07:07 PM
Did I dream it or didn't he write some kids film about a dog?

You didn't, I mentioned it in the OP, and he's also written a couple of CBBC shows, though they received much better reviews.

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 15, 2018, 02:14:46 PM
I noticed he's roped in a lot of british gaming youtubers to be involved in this, Larry Bundy, Nostalgia Nerd, Kim Justice, Octavius Kitten etc. Can't help agree that it has car crash potential, not only because it doesn't work performed but because all of those people have their own styles which I'm not sure will really gel within that digitiser/mr biffo world.
I like Kim in particularly, but the presence of NN and Bundy put me off even further. They're very much of the "swallow and regurgitate all British retro scene culture wholesale with no discrimination" mindset and I avoid them in general.

The absolute last thing Biffo needs in one of his productions is uncritical fanboyism. Mix it up a bit, be challenged... don't just give yourself an easy runway for references to your own mythology.

Beagle 2

I was happy enough with Digitiser 2000, except I always forget to read it. A daily email would have done for me. This just looks a bit awkward, but I'll give it a crack.

biggytitbo

I'm not going to say it didn't make me laugh at times, but it was also embarrassingly bad too.

Shaky

Oof, that was.... yeah. Not... good. Can't imagine subjecting myself to much more of that but I will for the sake of fairness.

Duckula

Guru Larry makes Rich Evans look like a picture of health.

Twed

Everything about that was really good and funny and I am not being sarcastic.

madhair60

Fucking guru Larry. OWROIGHT ERES A LOOK AT AN OBSCURE GAME IT'S MOONSTONE FOR THE AMIGA 500, 'ASHTAG GAMERGATE