Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Digitiser Online Series & Mr Biffo's Found Footage

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 07, 2018, 04:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckula

Kim Justice's Oasis documentary is one of the best bits of original Youtube content I've seen in recent years - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bYsDGkR_Ks

Twed

Quote from: RicoMNKN on November 20, 2018, 02:23:40 PM
I think the main problem is that it's a panel show format playing to an empty room and so the studio silence can feel a bit odd.  I think the more vlog-ish bits like the Show and Tell work far better because you don't notice the lack of an audience.
Yeah. The only feedback is going to be from the superfans involved in the show, and its audience is people who love references. They're playing it to a crowd of fans, and the cast are fans and... it's too easy to please just by saying "moc-moc-a-moc".

biggytitbo

Yea Kim does some good non gaming ones occasionally, she has one about Jimmy Saviles days as a wrestler which is eye opening and a long one about the legendarily awful heroes of wrestling ppv event from 1999 which was interesting to me even as a non wrestling fan.

typeforty

Kim, 'DJ Slopes', Larry and even Top Hat Gaming Man all make videos where the content is really interesting and well-researched but I struggle with their voices.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: typeforty on November 21, 2018, 09:48:55 AM
Kim, 'DJ Slopes', Larry and even Top Hat Gaming Man all make videos where the content is really interesting and well-researched but I struggle with their voices.

I think Larry Bundy and Top Hat Gaming Man have fallen foul of lifting gameplay content from other YouTubers, plus THGM is supposed to be a character but it could well be that he's a bit of an arse anyway. Nevertheless, he's done a few good ones, especially one about how the video game crash simply didn't happen in the UK and how microcomputing actually created a gaming boom, and also how the NES was a flop in Europe. US gaming history tends to skewer what actually happened here and in other parts of the world, and you tend to see some videos by British accounts which go on about ET on the Atari going to landfill etc and Nintendo saving the day... it's kind of like they don't really know what they're talking about and have just lifted stuff off Wikipedia.

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 21, 2018, 08:09:04 AM
Yea Kim does some good non gaming ones occasionally, she has one about Jimmy Saviles days as a wrestler which is eye opening and a long one about the legendarily awful heroes of wrestling ppv event from 1999 which was interesting to me even as a non wrestling fan.

This one is particularly brilliant. I was recommended it but when I saw how long it was I just thought about watching it in installments, however I ended up watching it all in one sitting. It's amazing how utterly dreadful and doomed to fail the whole thing is, as it builds up to Jake The Snake Roberts ready to top the bill, only for his appearance to round off the farce by being a complete, unmitigated disaster.

I don't recall anybody I know at the time having a NES or seeing any NES related stuff at Car Boots sales. I did know people who had Master Systems.

Twed

I had one, as did a friend. They were pretty cheap due to their unpopularity about a year before the SNES came out. There was enough of a market for them to justify Nintendo magazines in newsagents before the SNES.

biggytitbo

Top Hat Gaming Man's youtube persona comes from his days as a wrestling heel apparently, but his stuff works better when he dials it down and is more himself rather than playing some 'dickish' character with the forced posh accent.

I like his continued skewering of UK NES fans though, which definitely weren't a thing in the 80s over here. You had the multiplay unit in Boots or Woollies but nobody I knew ever actually had the system - the games cost upto £50 each when you could buy a speccy game at the newsagents for £2 or get a copied tape for nothing, so it was always a non starter over here. The master system was a bit more popular but even that way behind the home computers. Consoles didn't become the mainstream gaming platform in the UK until the 16-bit era when the megadrive and snes really took off.

Twed

All of my friends had 8-bit consoles before the 16-bit releases (maybe a little overlap with the Mega Drive). I think this is clearly regional; it's wrong to make outright blanket statements about console popularity.

The real crime is the European home computing scene being erased from lists that call themselves "the history of gaming", and the idea that the gaming crash was a global thing. The US's myopia is the real story; plenty going on elsewhere, and much of it defined the future of gaming.

biggytitbo

Maybe you were a posh bastard then as we couldn't afford the prices down my way.

The progression that I remember was the occasional 2600 or pong clone, then speccy, then an upgrade from there was a c64 or an amstrad, then it was an Atari ST or an Amiga if you were lucky, then it was the megadrive and snes, or PC for 'school work', then the Playstation.

Here are some UK sales for the time;

The SMS and NES were pretty close all through before ending up neck and neck at clearance prices. The Mega Drive absolutely beasted the SNES though which I found surprising. Nintendo always seemed such a force at the time, but I wonder how much of that was down to the much cheaper and more accessible Game Boy.

biggytitbo

Was the NES really selling that much in 1994? Outselling the SNES, and selling more than the Playstation was in 1997? That is quite surprising! I'll have to dig out an argos catalogue from 1994 to see what they had, I presume the NES was down to about £40 quid by then or something.

Edit, ahh thats cumulative isnt it? So it was basically down to nothing by 94. Still did surprisingly well in the early 90s though.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: typeforty on November 21, 2018, 09:48:55 AM

I'm halfway through Kim Justice's Mr. Blobby/Safe Safe Breakfast show one, it's well put together, but his voice rankles in my ears.

Sorry.

biggytitbo

I haven't got a problem with Kim because that's just her normal speaking voice, some of the others insist on heavily affected irritating local dj style intonation for no apparent reason. Or is it meant to appeal to the Americans, I'm not sure.

From an Outsiders perspective hes not wrong. Some of the debate can be a bit misrable and thi thread isn't exactly kind to a project hes worked hard on. I really enjoy his enthusiasm on Barshens, hes often the best bit about it.

I never knew about Digitiser in any of its old forms, so have no comparison for it. I'm not really sure what its meant to be. Is it a game show or a Show about games. I'm not keen on the random cut aways, but understand why it theres. in order to envoke thats 90's anaric astetic. The people making it do look like there having a lot of fun, and was a treat to see Big Boy Barry again. Though I hope a future guest might be "The Games Mistress" aka Jet from Gladiators. I'd actually like to see them do more reviews of old games or do more challenges based around them.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 22, 2018, 10:14:44 PM
Uh-oh, we've upset Paul Gannon.

https://twitter.com/paulgannonshow/status/1062053753879228416?s=21

Ha, there's yer man Darrell, late of this parish, sticking the boot in.

I'm a fan of Mr Biffo, so I do want to like this - it's just... YouTube isn't the place for anarchic 90s TV shows, TV in the 90s is. I don't have the attention span for something like this when it comes to games and all the other punchier content that's just a finger tap away.

Still, trim it right down and sort out the choppy editing and there's still an entertaining format there I think. It works much better than I might have imagined and I certainly wouldn't want to slate it at this stage as it finds its feet.

I have vague memories of a very low-budget Digitiser Magazine in the 90s that may have only lasted one issue... Or maybe it was just section in another magazine. I remember seeing a pen and ink drawing of The Man and it looking instantly all wrong. Tell me I'm not mad??

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 23, 2018, 12:37:29 AM
Ha, there's yer man Darrell, late of this parish, sticking the boot in.

I thought he was Total Nightmare, though I guess he could be both. I used to work with him too on the much hated tv channel TxtMe Tv, though bar a brief encounter a couple of years ago I haven't seen him in ages, I don't think he's right about CaB in general but I can understand his feelings towards this thread for the reasons listed above. And I quite like the new Digitiser show, it's not perfect (and as someone else commented, it really could do with a studio audience) but I find it a fun enough watch and it makes me nostalgic for the days when I was really in to computer games.

Shaky

Reading those Twitter comments... are we all supposed to be saying this web version of Digitiser is amazing even if it isn't? I'd love to think it was but bar a few moments, it's just not very good. As quite a few have said, it simply can't recapture what made the teletext version work so probably best if it tries to go somewhere new entirely. But then it can't play the nostalgia card, which is largely the reason for it's existence in the first place. Biffo looks fairly uncomfortable (although he admits he's not a natural performer) but I'd happily watch him in a better format.

Paul Gannon needs to knock all that, "Methinks!" nerd-shit on the head too.

Thursday

Natnar

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on November 22, 2018, 10:55:32 PM
From an Outsiders perspective hes not wrong. Some of the debate can be a bit misrable and thi thread isn't exactly kind to a project hes worked hard on. I really enjoy his enthusiasm on Barshens, hes often the best bit about it.

I like most of the things Paul Gannon is involved with. Cheapshow is my favourite podcast at the moment and his other podcast Spooktator is pretty good too.

I think the Digitiser show is OK, it's just a bit rough due to the budget.

PlanktonSideburns

Mister Six

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Natnar on November 24, 2018, 10:02:45 AMI think the Digitiser show is OK, it's just a bit rough due to the budget.

Low production values aren't the problem (aside from someone mic'ing Biffo from inside a packet of crisps).

I've loved Biffo since the early days of teletext Digitiser, but agree that his writing hasn't translated well online, and the Digitiser videos are pure garbage.

The brevity and pace of teletext's format were the best editor for Biffo. It kept his writing sharp and focussed, the jokes worked, it kept you wanting more and the Reveals did this: made sense.

Without those constraints his writing comes over as badly needing editing, he's lost the edge and element of surprise that defined his best writing.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 21, 2018, 05:40:25 PM
I'm halfway through Kim Justice's Mr. Blobby/Safe Safe Breakfast show one, it's well put together, but his voice rankles in my ears.

Sorry.

Her, you ███████ MONSTER!

Twed

(there are ways of correcting mistakes like that without making the subject involved a figure of fun)

the

I didn't realise there were two Teletext Digitisers. The version I used to read was full of transparently sub-sub-sub-sub-Vic and Bob unfunny shite and pisspoor games journalism. Shame I never stumbled across the un-reattainable genius version that keeps being alluded to in this thread.

PlanktonSideburns

Watched bits of this show - feels a bit like it needs some Eric Andrew style super editing