Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Digitiser Online Series & Mr Biffo's Found Footage

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 07, 2018, 04:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

3rd one out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUxk4V2Ym8w

I'm constantly mentally editing it, cut out that half joke, cut down Insincere Dave to just his statement, blah blah.

PlanktonSideburns

St_Eddie

I've just got 'round to watching episode 1 and overall, I enjoyed it.  I do agree with some of the criticisms made within this thread though.  Namely, that it's in need of some further editing and sometimes, when a joke is made, the lack of an audience can make it feel a bit awkward.  I think that simply encouraging the small crowd of crew behind the camera to laugh, providing that it's not too forced, when they find something funny would help with the latter criticism (kind of like The One Show in that respect, which is rarely funny but the jovial atmosphere on set, including behind the camera, helps to make it all feel very natural and unstilted).

Overall though; yeah, I liked it.  It certainly managed to, partially at least, capture some of that 90's games TV magic.  I especially enjoyed the Duck Hunt themed ending.  A few nips and tucks and I could see myself really digging this show.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 22, 2018, 10:14:44 PM
Uh-oh, we've upset Paul Gannon.

https://twitter.com/paulgannonshow/status/1062053753879228416?s=21

Sorry for not fitting into your sweeping generalisation of an entire forum, Mr. Gannon, you duck head.

madhair60

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on December 04, 2018, 09:00:37 PM
St Eddie's back! Hoorah!!

And you just put a stop to the 'new post' bug that my previous post had created!  Hoorah!!!

madhair60

Key

I have to say I was haughtily unimpressed with the first couple of eps, but that segment with the belligerent Sonic getting people to sniff his rings had me gasping for air and felt like pure Digitiser. Hope it comes back.

The section with Gannon and Larry almost croacking it from Prawns was brilliant car crash anarchy.

PlanktonSideburns

Feels like it's some adult swim style editing away from success

RicoMNKN

It really grew on me over the weeks.
The aforementioned prawn incident and the bum monster in the Rampage game being stand-out moments of chaos.

Biffo and Gannon work well together, too.

Hilarious 25 years ago but I probably find Games Animal funnier now.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 19, 2018, 04:44:58 PM
Hilarious 25 years ago but I probably find Games Animal funnier now.

Oh, I don't know about that.  I mean, is this funny to anyone, anywhere, other than the gaming mammal himself?

Actually, upon closer inspection, it is quite funny.  Perry is quite clearly off-camera, attempting to create some indoor snow effects, by means of desperately wanking off the salt shaker, like a man possessed by the spirit of spirits.

Twed

Phil_A

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 19, 2018, 08:05:12 PM
Nothin in this is as funny as Bikini Babes.

Why the fuck hasn't he done a proper follow-up yet? The guy's lost all momentum already he's only just started.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on December 19, 2018, 08:24:43 PM
Why the fuck hasn't he done a proper follow-up yet? The guy's lost all momentum already he's only just started.

From the YouTube comments section, via Dave Perry himself...

QuoteBig hour long second episode coming soon. Nearly done

This is going to be great.  Proper car crash material.

Mango Chimes

Seems they're now doing a simpler series of Biffo and Gannon just talking about some old games for ten minutes. It's a big improvement.

idunnosomename

The Series will probably come back (Patrons pending) but the two Minis with Gannon have been wonderful guff. The one he put out yesterday is just them pissing around with a toy that turns out to be broken, but I found it very funny.

The patter between these two is great, not as good a mesh with the other people on the full show panel (though I think they're good performers in their own right). Yet. I think it needs time to grow and develop. But I enjoyed it a lot.

peteprodge

The letters page for Digitiser 2000 today is pretty much full of justified praise for last weekend's live show. Reading it - and it is very long - is a thing of joy. Lots of shy fans of daft leftfield gaming comedy have forged many new connections. Mr Biffo gives quite an insight into his ideas and what he's got planned next:
https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/the-digitiser-live-friday-letters-page-dedicated-to-the-memory-of-bronk

idunnosomename

I went to the live show and it was fucking hilarious. Was in tears for much of it.

Loads of nerds though

Natnar

Has Biffo had a falling out with Gameplay Jenny since she doesn't seem to have been involved with Digitiser since the series last year?

idunnosomename

I don't think so, I just think she wasn't as into going round to his house to fanny about on camera as the rest of the regulars were. There was nothing involving actually playing a video game in the live show: I mean when it ends up with a retelling of randy boffin Clive Sinclair's life story which essentially descended into Paul Rose tied to a chair being massaged by a giant inflatable penis to "I love horses" you can see why it takes a certain kind of talent to be involved

Poobum

She was on the Secret Origins of Digi video not that long ago. Don't think she suits the general insanity Digi requires.
Is lovely to read all the emails, i'd love to see the mad lot live if they ever creep up north.

peteprodge

Quote from: Natnar on July 27, 2019, 09:30:24 AM
Has Biffo had a falling out with Gameplay Jenny since she doesn't seem to have been involved with Digitiser since the series last year?

She decided after the first series of Digitiser Live, to leave the production. It was all very amicable, no bad blood there at all.

Recently, someone on Digitiser 2000's FB page suggested that Sooz Kempner would be a good replacement for Jenny - something I agree with. Mr Biffo responded that they're not looking for a Jenny replacement, that the four of them (Biffo/Larry/Octavius/Gannon) are now the main team.

typeforty

Quote from: peteprodge on July 27, 2019, 02:13:15 PM
She decided after the first series of Digitiser Live, to leave the production. It was all very amicable, no bad blood there at all.

What makes you say that? I very much got the impression that relations have been non-existent between Jenny and Biffo since Series 1 ended, and I've never seen anything more than a terse "Jenny is no longer involved in Digitiser."... I'm definitely not too surprised she ended up going, though - as someone else pointed out, her style didn't really gel with the tone of the show, and it felt like she ended up on the outside a bit.

Natnar

Quote from: typeforty on July 27, 2019, 02:40:26 PM
What makes you say that? I very much got the impression that relations have been non-existent between Jenny and Biffo since Series 1 ended, and I've never seen anything more than a terse "Jenny is no longer involved in Digitiser."... I'm definitely not too surprised she ended up going, though - as someone else pointed out, her style didn't really gel with the tone of the show, and it felt like she ended up on the outside a bit.

Jenny and Biffo still follow each other on twitter so who knows, although i don't think there was any official announcement that Jenny had left Digitiser at the time was there? I do think 5 presenters was too many for the Digitiser series although personally i would have got rid of Digitisers very own "Brian Blessed" Guru Larry instead.

idunnosomename

Well originally the regular Mini youtube vids were just Biffo doing voiceovers. Then Gannon came and joined him for some two-camera things in his house. It was a while before Larry and Octav1us (is that how you do it?) came too. Although the live show was in planning from the end of the first series, the whole concept has grown a bit since then. It's all a learning process unfolding rather than anything planned and I can't see how there's been any serious falling out. Though I suppose in retrospect it's funny she didn't come on as a panellist on the live Mockety Moc like Tim Moore and Stuart Campbell did (and a bunch of other younger YouTube people I don't have a clue who they are), but she could have simply been busy.