Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:50:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Really simple features apps should have but don't

Started by MoonDust, October 07, 2018, 04:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

Or in this specific case below, features they do have but shouldn't.

Maybe it's just my phone (Galaxy S6. Only smartphone I've had) but I do get slightly vexed that the YouTube app uses your phone's normal autocorrect for the search bar. Why? There are lots of things on YouTube that would not be real words and therefore be auto corrected when you type them in.

Musicians and band names for example. Kanye West (just typing Kanye then auto corrected to "maybe") for example. Even simply people's names might get auto corrected.

I dunno, it's a minor thing and no big deal, but to me it just doesn't make sense to apply auto correct in a search field that is highly likely to have words or names that aren't in the dictionary being searched for.

It's particularly surprising because YouTube is owned by Google and is such a huge company, you'd've thought someone would have thought about this.

What minor but irksome things about apps have you discovered?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's not actually on the phone, but I was annoyed to discover that the desktop version of Whatsapp only works if you are also using the phone app at the same time. I only downloaded it because I don't tend to have my phone's 3g or wifi switched on while I'm at the computer.

Pointless load of guff, it is.

doppelkorn

BlackBerries used to save all your contacts' numbers as "work" by default if they only had one number assigned to them (as most do).

Then, if your next phone was a Windows phone, it wouldn't let you text those numbers, because they didn't have the "mobile" piece of metadata associated with them - even if they were 07 numbers.

That was fun.

Bazooka

YouTube being the best media format, yet can't listen to anything in none standby mode.

mojo filters

YouTube both in browser and app only letting you play/listen with that specific screen open. I'm told there are alternative apps to get around this, but my cheap Samsung never has enough space for extra luxury apps unfortunately...

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Bazooka on October 07, 2018, 09:18:51 PM
YouTube being the best media format, yet can't listen to anything in none standby mode.

In something of a dick-move, that 'feature' is only available to subscribers.

a duncandisorderly

not an app thing as such, but no way to lock the fucking digitiser on an ipad so that you (or a toddler, for instance) can prod at things on the screen without the ipad doing something it thinks you want to do but don't. simplest thing in the world for apple to add a third option to the slidey switch- mute, screen-rotation-lock or touch-screen-off.

but it could be put into an app... ignore digitiser input while full-screen, use home-key to exit full-screen.

fuck's sake.

Quote from: Bazooka on October 07, 2018, 09:18:51 PM
Quote from: mojo filters on October 08, 2018, 12:53:37 AM
YouTube both in browser and app only letting you play/listen with that specific screen open.
I do use Youtube a lot for music, so I have occasionally wished that I have it run in the background, or in standby. To be fair though, it's designed for video, not audio streaming. I can imagine it would be much more annoying if you were watching something and accidentally opened another app on top, or switched off the screen.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 08, 2018, 04:42:06 PM
I do use Youtube a lot for music, so I have occasionally wished that I have it run in the background, or in standby. To be fair though, it's designed for video, not audio streaming. I can imagine it would be much more annoying if you were watching something and accidentally opened another app on top, or switched off the screen.

??  I do this a lot on my mac desktop... safari & firefox both leave the content running while you poke about in another tab on top of it.

I'm talking about the phone version. I, too, regularly leave it running in the background on my PC.

For all the complaints about Youtube's copyright protection system, it really doesn't seem to be on the ball when it comes to people uploading music.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 08, 2018, 05:13:53 PM
I'm talking about the phone version. I, too, regularly leave it running in the background on my PC.

For all the complaints about Youtube's copyright protection system, it really doesn't seem to be on the ball when it comes to people uploading music.

no, it's not. I've had to write a few polite-but-insistent takedowns myself- there's a fan of ours who's doing great work making videos for our tracks, & I don't mind... but a couple of times, he's slung summat together for an entire album, & that's just making it too easy. I don't mind the odd free download- most of our lot will buy the things eventually anyway- but when whole albums start appearing for sale on unsanctioned sites, then it's annoying. I don't mind not making money out of the music, but I do object when someone's making money out of it that had fuck all to do with making it.

hermitical

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 07, 2018, 05:16:29 PM
It's not actually on the phone, but I was annoyed to discover that the desktop version of Whatsapp only works if you are also using the phone app at the same time. I only downloaded it because I don't tend to have my phone's 3g or wifi switched on while I'm at the computer.

Pointless load of guff, it is.

Isn't that just when you initially sign in? I've left the tab open for days and it has stayed signed in, or do you not mean the web version but a standalone thing?

Sebastian Cobb

I find it utterly baffling that every major operating system doesn't natively allow you to copy and paste more than one item. There are tools that can do it on every os, but really it should be done natively.

Twed

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 08, 2018, 05:13:53 PM

Definitely works that way (by default) on the Pixel phones. You can even have the video playing in a little window in the corner, overlaid on every other app.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 08, 2018, 05:45:57 PM
I find it utterly baffling that every major operating system doesn't natively allow you to copy and paste more than one item.
Eh? I regularly copy and paste multiple files in one go. Just the other day, I copied about 500 photos from my camera's memory card to my PC.

Quote from: hermitical on October 08, 2018, 05:32:38 PM
Isn't that just when you initially sign in? I've left the tab open for days and it has stayed signed in, or do you not mean the web version but a standalone thing?
There is a standalone Windows app. I didn't know there was a web browser version, but having tried it, it seems to work exactly the same as the standalone thing - i.e. it doesn't work if my phone is offline.
I assume Whatsapp must rely on your SIM card for authentication or something, as it won't even install on my wifi-only tablet. Personally, I hate Whatsapp, but various contacts (who presumably have phones with loads of mobile data and batteries that aren't knackered) insist on using it over other, less shit, messaging services.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 08, 2018, 05:45:57 PM
I find it utterly baffling that every major operating system doesn't natively allow you to copy and paste more than one item. There are tools that can do it on every os, but really it should be done natively.
Do you mean multiple clipboards? On a Linux desktop there's millions of the buggers.

The separate clipboard for highlighted items + middle-mouse to paste is a genius idea that should be default in all interfaces, IMO.

hermitical

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 08, 2018, 06:03:11 PM
There is a standalone Windows app. I didn't know there was a web browser version, but having tried it, it seems to work exactly the same as the standalone thing - i.e. it doesn't work if my phone is offline.
I assume Whatsapp must rely on your SIM card for authentication or something, as it won't even install on my wifi-only tablet. Personally, I hate Whatsapp, but various contacts (who presumably have phones with loads of mobile data and batteries that aren't knackered) insist on using it over other, less shit, messaging services.

Oh yeah! Just noticed the splash when you log on and it says it relies on your phones connection. I've never used it but I guess something like Pushbutton, through which you can read/send Whatsapp messages, would also use this connection?