Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:41:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blindspotting

Started by TrenterPercenter, October 08, 2018, 09:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blindspotting/

Not sure how much coverage this film will get as it is out on limited release in the UK but if you get a chance it is well worth going to see.

Debut directorial effort by Carlos Lopez Estrada although the real stars are Rafael Casal and Daveed Diggs who both write and play the two leads in the film itself (no doubt you'll be seeing more of these two).

It is a great little movie which tackles the perilous area of racism with some craft (its by no means perfect but the bits it does right really stand out and stay with you without the need for shock and awe tactics).  The two main characters are great and there is some even better chemistry between them without it ever being too schlocky.  Some of the hip hop opera bits (did I mention it's got a bit of jam poetry in it? Come back come back, there is not that much and it's not that bad either) are little art schooly. 

It is quite funny as well, although the first 30 minutes I didn't really chuckle or enjoy the humour but after that it gets quite good with some genuinely funny moments.  Overall though it's a really nice exploration of how we think and more importantly how what we fear (or are made to fear) shapes how we view ourselves and behave in front of others.

It is really good - a bit like 8 mile (it's much much better) meets Clockers/Do the Right Thing.  I heartily recommend you go see it whilst you can.

PS - The trailers are a rubbish representation of the film which nearly put me off going to see it but I'm glad i took the risk (are trailers all outsourced and constructed by idiots nowadays?).