Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:28:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Decline

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, February 15, 2005, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

By NOFX I mean. I really like NOFX and I know this song isn't exactly recent or anything but I was listening to this today for the first time in ages and thought I'd start a thread. It really is a brilliant song, not at all the kind of thing you would expect from your average group of American 'pop-punks' (God I hate that phrase). But NOFX aren't average at all, their lyrics are great and funny, the drumming is insane (he doesn't use a double bass pedal which just makes it even more amazing, I mean, just listen to how fast he plays knowing he is just using the single pedal), the vocals are great, especially the occasionally-out-of-tune shouty backing vocals. All of it really. If they played it all live I think the concert would be worth it for that alone but they only play selected bits don't they? Anyway, any fans of this here? Or NOFX in general?

no_offenc

Oddly enough, I got a NOFX tshirt a few years back with the Decline cover on the front and some vaguely anti-American lyrics on the back.  Unfortunately I decided to wear it on September 12th.  2001.  Yep.  Bad idea.

I got told to "get out" of a shop near to my college because i was an "insensetive prick" - I got the same from everybody else.

And now I've lost weight it fits me better than it did 4 years ago.  Bonus.

EDIT - oh, and the 'FX are top.

Just found out about this thread from the Blink 182 thread.. sorry APTS, hadn't seen it before!

The Decline is what got me into NOFX and is the reason I can call them the greatest punk band on earth ever without feeling like I may be leaving someone out. It's just absolute genius. The bridge between progressive rock and punk.

No idea why they don't play it live. Obviously not every night, but thrown into the occasional gig every few weeks. Would definately be worth admission fee alone if they could pull it off.

"I wish I had a shilling, for every senseless killing / I'd buy a government"

A Passing Turk Slipper

My favourite bit is that bit too, then when it goes "or maybe, tear it apart" I just want to jump around in joy. I would upload it, it really is worth hearing if you haven't but I'm not sure whether I should on rapid share, I'm a bit rubbish at my own space and it is commercially available (then again it is one song, song du jour lets this so maybe it would be okay).

Fuckwittio

Ribbed and White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean were two of the first punk LPs I ever got into. My mate's band back home used to do a great version of 'Bob' off the latter album.

Great band. I have to admit I haven't heard any of their stuff since that tune with the accordion (you know, the one that starts "We're professional punkers, we come from the suburbs"), which was class, but I don't know what album it's off. How about their recent stuff? Any albums worth getting?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Most of their albums have great songs on them, the first album I got was Pump up the Valuum which is definitely worth getting (although it doesn't feature the track of the same name). I'd recommend So Long and Thanks For All the Shoes above that though what with the brilliant 'All his Suits are Torn' and also, Quart in Session. The punkier Punk in Drublic is probably better than both those though, some really great tracks on that. I wouldn't not recommend the latest proper album as well, The War on Errorism which does contain some fantastic stuff. In summary: all of the later albums contain some really great tunes. I'd recommend getting Punk in Drublic first then maybe getting Pump up the Valuum and So long and Thanks For all the Shoes after that. The latest one as well is great so is the 45 or 46 songs that weren't on our other albums or whatever it's called. That last compilation contains some of their best stuff actually, Pods and Gods is a great song. Anyway, I'm rambling, you NEED to get the Decline if you haven't already. If you want to give a few songs a download to see what the mentioned albums are like get All His Suits Are Torn, Perfect Government, Pods and Gods, Linoleum and Lazy (now that is an absolutely brilliantly good track - not like a lot of the other stuff, slow and the lyrics are really calm and happy).

Borboski

personally i wouldn't bother with so long and thanks for all the shoes or pump all the valuum, but all those early albums, if you like 3min lite shouty pop melodies, NOFX do the trick.

I can't really listen to any of my old us-punk circa 1995+, it just sounds all so embharrassing these days.  I probably can't get out my head that at the live show it'll be packed for of 14year olds and big kid grown-ups wearing hoodies. eergh.  If I'm going jogging then pennywise and rancid sometimes go on the walkman.

The Decline though, quite an interesting attempt from a non-muso band.