Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Would I Lie To You S12 (12th October)

Started by olliebean, October 10, 2018, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: olliebean on October 12, 2018, 11:02:02 PM
I fear they may have peaked too early in this series...

Yep, no way they'll top that episode. They shot their Bob bolt too soon.

Quote from: Captain Z on October 12, 2018, 11:00:29 PM
Well well, Kiss The Alderman, who knew.

I can't find any evidence with regards to what Bob's beers are actually called, but I suspect that 'Kiss the Alderman' was just him kicking into Athletico Mince fallback mode while trying to wrong-foot his opponents. I hope I'm wrong, though, as that's a cracking name for an ale.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/517267/Star-Bob-Mortimer-brewing-beer-garden-hobby

Just look at his lovely wee face in that first photograph.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 13, 2018, 12:29:04 AM
I can't find any evidence with regards to what Bob's beers are actually called

Here you go: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alpha-state-kiss-the-alderman/508476/

Interestingly it's a stout, not the IPA claimed on the show. Sounds like Retail Park and Not Now, Madam were bollocks though.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 13, 2018, 12:37:31 AM
Here you go: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alpha-state-kiss-the-alderman/508476/

Interestingly it's a stout, not the IPA claimed on the show. Sounds like Retail Park and Not Now, Madam were bollocks though.

Do you get a mandatory life sentence with no parole for using a preposition in the user reviews?

Brilliant, thank you. So it really is a genuine nod to Athletico Mince. That's rather wonderful.

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 13, 2018, 12:51:47 AM
Do you get a mandatory life sentence with no parole for using a preposition in the user reviews?

To be fair, it's quite funny if you read those user reviews in Bob's voice.

the science eel

So how much liberty are they given to embellish the story if it's true?

olliebean

I honestly don't think they'd have got that one if the guy hadn't looked so much like a stereotypical craft brewer.

Quote from: olliebean on October 13, 2018, 12:21:37 PM
I honestly don't think they'd have got that one if the guy hadn't looked so much like a stereotypical craft brewer.

True, which is probably why Bob went of his way to make his story sound like bollocks.

greencalx

Yeah, Bob was on fire. Had he done an actual lie before? That seemed to wrongfoot Mitchell somewhat.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: greencalx on October 13, 2018, 04:07:10 PM
Yeah, Bob was on fire. Had he done an actual lie before?

His pet owl that sits on a special cushion, the didgeridoo hanging from a tree in his garden, the spider that he charmed out of a shoe by playing the flute...

greencalx

Fair enough - I had remembered all these ridiculous stories as being true.

What an episode, it was absolutely glorious.

imitationleather

My God Bob Mortimer is the funniest man alive.

Being told off by him when I was a toddler because I was pissing him off in a pub is to date the only thing of note that I have achieved.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 13, 2018, 12:37:31 AM

9%! a real belter

Utter Shit

That egg in the bath story was so good. I loved how, a couple of times, they got so deep into the detail that the moment someone rowed back and actually said the words "so Chris Rea ran you a bath" that was enough to set them all off laughing again.

Puce Moment

He is the king of this show - to the point where maybe it would be too much to have him on every week. But, by fuckery, it would improve the show greatly.

I still love the format of this panel show - with the right contestants and good stories it has the potential to be the best on TV. But I too admit that the line-ups presented look pretty weak.

lankyguy95

Having been to the recording of this one, I have to say this show really should have an extended version. They cut out about three or four stories, including another Mortimer one. Meanwhile QI and HIGNFY get one despite being past their best years ago.

Thomas

I've only urgency to watch when it's a Bob ep. I'd happily save the non-Bobbers for rainy days in years to come, but when I see that Bob's been on, I hurry right along. He's delightful, and his storytelling flights are painfully funny. I think often of the hand lion's strike.

Bronzy

Quote from: Thomas on October 15, 2018, 01:21:16 PM
I've only urgency to watch when it's a Bob ep. I'd happily save the non-Bobbers for rainy days in years to come, but when I see that Bob's been on, I hurry right along. He's delightful, and his storytelling flights are painfully funny. I think often of the hand lion's strike.

"Quite loudly, but not to frighten anyone, the word WOLF" kills me everytime I hear it.

Same goes with "we do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden".

Bronzy

"I have a leathermaker's drill, yeah?" is just perfect as well.

bobloblaw

Quote from: lankyguy95 on October 15, 2018, 01:11:27 PM
Having been to the recording of this one, I have to say this show really should have an extended version. They cut out about three or four stories, including another Mortimer one. Meanwhile QI and HIGNFY get one despite being past their best years ago.

they do at least do an offcuts ep at the end of each series - fingers crossed for more Bob goodness there

Tapiocahead

I wonder if the other guests know who they're on with in advance

the science eel

He's kind of quiet when he's not called on to speak, isn't he? by no means a smart-arse, kind of introverted. He doesn't even laugh that much when the others are falling off their chairs chuckling. But a kind of light comes over his face when it's his turn.

c

Hang on, hang on, everyone's just blown past two splendidly interesting comments.

Imitationleather and lankyguy95:

1. Please tell the story of being told off by Bob in a pub. I can't imagine an angry Bob, but I want to.

2. What was the cut Bob story about?

The Lurker

Kelvin

The cut Bob story will probabaly be used at the end of the series, or in a Christmas episode, so maybe don't give that one away.

a duncandisorderly

I am from teesside. bob's already quite teesside, in the way that I managed to coax out of david coverdale that time, but when he went into his chris rea impression, I was fuckin' transported, man, I'm tellin' ya.

Mango Chimes

Bloody hell, the second two episodes are bad. Just boring. Really boring.

Utter Shit

I thought the Olivia Colman episode was great. Aston Merrygold was dull and I am sick to death of seeing people do their signature dance move or physical feat when we've seen it a million times before, but Colman was fantastic and Lee Mack was in particularly quick form.