Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Would I Lie To You S12 (12th October)

Started by olliebean, October 10, 2018, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The Christmas Special was on, um, somewhen recently, and I just watched it on youtube. Joe Swash, Jo Brand, Joe Lycett and actress Jojo Mcjojojojo* were the guests and bar Lee Mack saying the occasionally funny line it was pretty dreadful, I used to like this show so much but I'm done with it now, bar perhaps the odd episode if Bob Mortimer makes a return.

*That might be a lie.

vainsharpdad

They should bin this now - just stick the three of them from here into the HIGNFY chairs.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 26, 2020, 02:33:09 PM
The Christmas Special was on, um, somewhen recently, and I just watched it on youtube. Joe Swash, Jo Brand, Joe Lycett and actress Jojo Mcjojojojo* were the guests and bar Lee Mack saying the occasionally funny line it was pretty dreadful, I used to like this show so much but I'm done with it now, bar perhaps the odd episode if Bob Mortimer makes a return.

*That might be a lie.

Even Bob's tales are pretty formulaic now.

They've always had celebrities as well as comedians, but the celebs' stories are so dull these days that there's no fun in the telling of them and the true/false reveal is inconsequential. At least a good comic can make something of whatever's given to them.

Maybe it's time to bin it off and move it to Radio 4 to let some newer acts have a play.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 27, 2020, 06:14:33 PM
Maybe it's time to bin it off and move it to Radio 4 to let some newer acts have a play.

It's too similar to The Unbelievable Truth to put it on R4. TUT is a better format, really, in that the "competitive" bit actually makes sense.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 27, 2020, 06:14:33 PM
Even Bob's tales are pretty formulaic now.

Formulaic? His last but one appearance had him claiming Chris Rea popped an egg in his bath which was one of the highlights of the whole series.

Anyway, the Christmas episode was fine. 

Fambo Number Mive

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just watched it. Not very good, and quite an odd episode. You could see them all trying far too hard to big up and hilarfy desperately unfunny stories, especially that Cockney git's story about him sending his mum the wrong way on the Sat nav. Also, Rob Brydon seemed genuinely miffed at the same Cockney dissing Cardiff, his delivery seemed actually angered with no attempt at funniness in framing his defence of his homeland at all. Was also fairly obvious that David Mitchell's story on the " this is my" round was true, his ensuing rant seemed woefully contrived. Maybe a Bob Mortimer appearance would have saved it.

Brundle-Fly

Mitchell's earnest retelling of his kid's security toy tale was quite sweet. Mack getting sudden cramps to stall for time for his teammate, Brand was funny.  Her game I'm going to nick. It was alright, I thought.

non capisco

It was certainly a damn sight better than the Big Fat Quiz of The Year which I sat through only because Acaster was on it. If any of the panel actually said anything funny in that three hours (probably shorter but that's what it felt like) it got lost in the edit. I don't go out of my way to watch anything with Jimmy Carr on, does he always make wink wink jokes about his tax avoidance? Cunt.

lankyguy95

^
Was BFQOTY ever good? I remember Sean Lock slagging off one of the childrens reenactments and that's the only funny thing I can think of.

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on December 28, 2020, 06:02:14 PM
Formulaic? His last but one appearance had him claiming Chris Rea popped an egg in his bath which was one of the highlights of the whole series.

Anyway, the Christmas episode was fine.

Yeah, fair enough - that was great. Formulaic was the wrong word - but it definitely feels like they rely on Bob dropping some definitely-made-up nicknames to rescue a show that's dead on its arse now.

jobotic

WILTY and BFQOTY have always been fucking dreadful (Mortimer aside). What's the matter with you people, you're comedy aficionados, unlike me.

Quote from: jobotic on December 28, 2020, 10:18:46 PM
WILTY and BFQOTY have always been fucking dreadful (Mortimer aside). What's the matter with you people, you're comedy aficionados, unlike me.

Nah, WILTY had a reasonably lengthy period when you were guaranteed a few belly laughs per episode. Those days are long gone, though having just looked at the lineups for this upcoming series there seems to be a higher ratio of comedians to celebs - so maybe there's life in it yet.

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 28, 2020, 09:53:04 AM
It's too similar to The Unbelievable Truth to put it on R4. TUT is a better format, really, in that the "competitive" bit actually makes sense.

Maybe those similarities are the reason that The Unbelievable Truth has never made it to TV?

Having suggested that WILTY moves to radio, I can't actually think of any examples of TV panel shows that have gone that way.

non capisco

Quote from: jobotic on December 28, 2020, 10:18:46 PM

As I say I only watched the latter because James Acaster was on it and that guy's output, be it the Off Menu podcast or his quite frankly incredible stand up set Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999, has brought me a hell of a lot of joy in this squirming wormstruck arsehole of a year. Unfortunately he and everyone else on it were punishingly unamusing and the whole thing seemed like it was edited on the morning of its broadcast in a clammy frenzy to salvage anything that might pass as comedy, if you squint. It's probably like that every year. Text from sister: That bloke you love is shite.

jobotic

Yeah I know. Acaster is an incredible stand up but if I only ever saw him on panel shows I'd think he was shit. Because he is, and so is everyone else.

Oh look Ayoade's doing what he does and...who else was even on it? It was on on the background but I did watch some of it. despise Carr anyway. At least there was no Fielding or Ross.

kidsick5000

Quote from: lankyguy95 on December 28, 2020, 06:59:21 PM
^
Was BFQOTY ever good? I remember Sean Lock slagging off one of the childrens reenactments and that's the only funny thing I can think of.

This is solid gold. https://youtu.be/zUOkkijLXRE?t=305

The Lurker

Quote from: non capisco on December 28, 2020, 06:44:11 PM
It was certainly a damn sight better than the Big Fat Quiz of The Year which I sat through only because Acaster was on it. If any of the panel actually said anything funny in that three hours (probably shorter but that's what it felt like) it got lost in the edit. I don't go out of my way to watch anything with Jimmy Carr on, does he always make wink wink jokes about his tax avoidance? Cunt.

Carr is fairly self depreciating when the subject comes up

non capisco

Quote from: The Lurker on December 29, 2020, 07:07:17 AM
Carr is fairly self depreciating when the subject comes up

This wasn't self deprecating, it was self congratulatory.

First ep of the new series is really good actually. Turns out having funny and entertaining people on the show makes for good light entertainment.

MigraineBoy

Was that Les Dennis first appearance on WILTY?  He was a great booking.

The Lurker

Can't recall Les being on before but yeah, he was good value

neveragain

I caught the punchline of a gag in the last episode: "That's the problem with 9/11, the cues [queues] went up!" It was directed at a snooker player hence the pun, although I've no idea what the feed could have been. Something to do with snooker scores? More importantly, it seems a very weird gag for a show of this tone. HIGNFY could get away with it but this has always seemed a bright and cheery show.

Moriarty01

Last night's episode was a good one - with Raj Bisram and Josh Widdicombe.

There is a SPOILER ALERT moment in the show which I won't reveal here - but definitely worth watching!

Mr Trumpet

Yeah i'm not sure i've ever seen Brydon in quite such helpless hysterics, which was good fun.

Utter Shit

I'd never heard of that Raj guy before last night, now I want to read five volumes of his autobiography.

The Lurker

Quote from: Moriarty01 on January 23, 2021, 07:42:13 AM
Last night's episode was a good one - with Raj Bisram and Josh Widdicombe.

There is a SPOILER ALERT moment in the show which I won't reveal here - but definitely worth watching!

It was absolute gold. Catching up on iPlayer, great episode so far - especially bit you did (or rather didn't) mention.

Bob Mortimer is apparently on next week.

Edit: There's a scene to stay for post-credits too

Old Thrashbarg

Just caught up on this series, having not watched it for a couple of years, and I can't remember a run of episodes this strong for a long time. And Bob's on next week.

Admittedly the latest one would've been nothing without Raj (though Josh's
Spoiler alert
toothpaste lie
[close]
was very good). Without knowing anything about him apart from what was in this episode, it feels like he'll have plenty of other stories for a future appearance or two.

Virgo76

A genuinely funny unplanned comedy moment. Rob Brydon in total hysterics.

Malcy

Really good this week. Seemed to be a time code left on the screen at one point of the mystery guest round.