Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:11:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout 76

Started by Fry, October 11, 2018, 02:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

I generally liked Fallout 4 though like most people I never bothered with the town building shit.

I've watched a bit of the BETA feeds and it does tally with the reviews in that feels empty. One telling article describes it as No Man's Sky for 2018. I only got the NMS a month or so back and it's a great game now. A couple of years of patches and new content have got it mostly to what was promised.

Fallout 76 looks the same. There is potential, and if the game is supported it can grow into what it should be.

I've decided despite all that to take the plunge and get it, so I'll let you know how it goes. The beta so far has just been four hours yesterday with two further blocks of two hours this weekend. Which has pissed off Xbox owners who got in a week ahead of the PS4 and PC, but it seems to show Bethesda is treating this as a real beta and stress testing rather than just being an early release advert.

Alberon

The first PC beta session promptly fell flat on its face. It was supposed to start at 11pm last night for four hours, but a cock-up by Bethesda meant many people's pre-loaded game was deleted and they faced downloading the whole 45gb again before they could play. So most missed out.

I wasn't going to start playing at that time of night, but the bug got me too, though by this morning it has all downloaded again.

Next attempt to play will be from 6pm tomorrow expanded to eight hours from the planned four.

Golden E. Pump

This looks like dogshit. Removing all the NPCs and story so you can run around with a bunch of people you don't know? No thanks.

Bhazor

Physics tied to frame rate, glitch deletes entire install.

The more I hear the more this sounds like a train wreck. Which I'm glad to hear. Its long past time Bethesda got a proper hammering for their jank.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Bhazor on November 01, 2018, 04:40:28 PM
Physics tied to frame rate

Is that real? Sounds like a fuckwitted decision if true How on earth would this work with an online game? I'm guessing the locked it to 30 or 60 fps, but wouldn't it fuck people using either if they came accross each other?

Bhazor

Movement speed and animation is tied to frame rate so looking at the ground makes you run faster and shoot quicker. Theres no frame cap not that it would matter as the game on a monster rig can rarely hits 30fps in a closed beta.

https://kotaku.com/fallout-76-betas-physics-are-tied-to-its-framerate-1830140345

biggytitbo

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on November 01, 2018, 03:33:44 PM
This looks like dogshit. Removing all the NPCs and story so you can run around with a bunch of people you don't know? No thanks.

Money though.

Alberon

Got to play in the beta yesterday, but only for an hour as I had other stuff to do. So, I'm still in the beginner tutorial part.

So far it feels like Fallout 4 online. It looks prettier and more colourful than Fallout 4, but that's really about it. The game runs very smoothly, though the Pipboy UI is the same dog it has always been. Hopefully that can be modded later.

I saw about three other players while online. Two were teamed up and talking to each other and while I didn't team up with anyone I did join in a couple of fights with the Scorched around a farmhouse. Basically the Scorched are a step up from feral Ghouls and can talk a little and use weapons. I could hear the crack of gunfire in the distance and that was probably the other players, but otherwise the game does feel too empty. I killed and cooked a fox and a couple of glowing frogs, crafted some basic leather armour, killed some Propaganda Robots (little soviet three legged things) and a few Scorched and reached the first major location - The Overseer's Camp.

So still too early to have a good grasp of the game, but it feels too empty, but if you had more players running around that would probably blow the atmosphere the game is going for. I do wonder, if support for the game continues, how long human NPCs will stay absent. I should get to play a bit more over the weekend so I'll see how that goes.

Worst comes to the worst I still have the best part of a fortnight to cancel my order.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Bhazor on November 02, 2018, 11:18:45 AM
Movement speed and animation is tied to frame rate so looking at the ground makes you run faster and shoot quicker. Theres no frame cap not that it would matter as the game on a monster rig can rarely hits 30fps in a closed beta.

https://kotaku.com/fallout-76-betas-physics-are-tied-to-its-framerate-1830140345

Thanks for the link . will read in a bit.

Alberon

Everyone here seems extremely dubious about this game, perhaps rightly so, but I've just found out I've been given three beta codes so if anyone wants them just let me know and I'll send them to you. The only restriction is that they're for the PC version of the game.

New Jack

Heh, two other people I know got free codes. They're literally giving it away

Bhazor

Three at a time. Like your mum.

Alberon

Played a bit more and passed the initiation tests of the 'Responders'. Who, after the war began the task of rebuilding civilisation. Except, of course, the tests were automated and they've all been wiped out just a few years before the vault opened.

And there's the big problem with this game for me. It looks like Fallout 4 (but graphically better), it plays like Fallout 4, but the lack of human NPCs is killing it for me. Of course, there's no real difference to getting a quest from a robot or an NPC, but helping a community to grow (even if like in most MMOs it doesn't actually grow through your actions) is far better than being sent to find someone knowing they're already long dead.

When you complete a quest you get rewards, but they aren't handed out by a terminal or a robot, they just appear in your inventory. That feels wrong. Last night the other players were more spread out and I only ran into one or two briefly. It's not a single player game, but it isn't an MMO. I think they wanted to copy GTA Online, but they haven't managed it.

I'm only about three hours into the beta, but I caught myself wanting to play the new Abyss update for No Man's Sky more last night. It's not a good sign and I think I'll be cancelling my pre-order.

Blue Jam

Got Fallout 4 a couple of weeks back. Found it a bit boring. This looks worse. I won't be bothering with this one.

Thursday

This seems to be getting a real critical pasting, and sales haven't looked good either (although it's best not to put too much stock in retail sales being down these days, especially with online game like this)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-20-fallout-76-review-a-bizarre-boring-and-broken-mess

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/nov/19/fallout-76-review-playstation-xbox-pc

Fucking good.

Twed

I actually quite like the idea of an online game that is

• Mostly solo-able (I hate and will not play online team games)
  • Has very little NPC dialogue

Is this that?

Alberon

I actually never got round to cancelling my order though I've not had a lot of time to play since the launch.

You could carry over your character from the beta but I decided to start again, but this time largely ignore the main quests and just wander.

All the criticisms about missions, combat and the empty world are true. What is done well is the placing of items and corpses. I found a tower with a couple of mattresses in the room at the top, one for an adult and one for a child. A few toys scattered around and the desiccated corpse of a woman (presumably the mother) in a corner next to a gun she used to blow her brains out. No tapes or letters, it told the whole story just like that.

Still don't understand why they put all this work into building this post-war world and then killed them all.

I may have wasted my money, but I'm still enjoying exploring. If Bethesda work at it they might No Man's Sky it into a great game, but maybe not.

It's a bit like when Diablo III was released. It quickly became apparent to the game makers they'd got it wrong and they were eventually able to haul it around to a good game.

Some people have suggested Fallout 76's problems come from the old game engine and the limits that present. Time will tell I suppose.

VelourSpirit

What I've noticed about all the gamer disappointment going on lately is that the games looked shite to begin with

Blue Jam

Mister Six

Still gave it two stars though. What's a game got to do to get one star, murder their mums?

Thursday

It doesn't look that bad to be fair.

Mister Six

There's not a single positive line in that review.

Bhazor

47gb patch.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-fallout-76-47gb-patch-tested-on-all-consoles

QuoteAs patches go, Fallout 76's 1.02 title update is one of the biggest we've seen, weighing in at a mighty 47GB on each of the consoles - a marked difference from PC's 15GB download. In its patch notes, Bethesda talks about bug fixes and performance upgrades, but to what extent is the game actually improved over its launch showing?

First of all though, it's fair to say that the sheer size of the patch is somewhat baffling, especially bearing in mind the actual improvements to the end-user experience. Fallout 76 takes up 53GB before the patch - and yet despite updating with 47GB of data, it doesn't stack on top of it. The final file size is still only 53.2GB with the patch installed - only 200MB more than it was before. Clearly then, Bethesda is updating the game's files, but also replacing much of data you already had installed in the process. All the textures, sound files, and more fit into that same package - quite why they would need replacing is something of a mystery. "This update will be large compared to what we expect for patches going forward," Bethesda has said. "Regular updates will always vary in size, but future updates should be much smaller in comparison."

Die Gamebryo engine. Fucking die.

Alberon

It was 'only' a 15gb patch on the PC, though I can't say I notice much difference.

kittens

i am enjoying this failure. perhaps it will encourage them to make fallout great again. this game sounds bad and i will not buy it.

Alberon

Played a bit more today and got hit by a few bugs. Firstly while trying to pick up a daily quest the game crashed to desktop twice. Each time I lost my progress so had to repeat the opening part three times before it stuck.

After that a quest called on me to fix a terminal and then use it, but someone had already fixed it and the program couldn't handle that so I couldn't progress.

I spent the rest of my time exploring a large bridge and building up my camp which is now a three story wooden house. Exploring is still fun, but Bethesda needs to start putting in the rest of the game pretty soon.

Mister Six

It's been reduced in price to $35 now.

wooders1978

If I was bethesta I would be investing in turning it into a single player (or even online co-op??) storymode with NPCs etc to save this clusterfuck and get back some credibility - oh yeah and I'd also get the obsidian team back together to do it

Alberon

Problem is if you turned this into a single player game then it is almost literally Fallout 4 with just a new map.

wooders1978

Quote from: Alberon on November 26, 2018, 11:23:41 AM
Problem is if you turned this into a single player game then it is almost literally Fallout 4 with just a new map.
You could say new Vegas was fallout 3 with a new map and that was the dogs balls