Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Family Guy S17

Started by Malcy, October 11, 2018, 11:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Anyone been watching? I thought the last series was very poor but I've really enjoyed the 2 part opener of this series. As ridiculous as ever but a lot more watchable and it's keeping my attention.

neveragain

Maybe it's dulled my senses but I just like the show come what may, it doesn't matter if the episode is weak (and there were a fair few weaker ones last time) and nor does it matter that the early episodes seemingly had a lot more care put into them or that American Dad is generally more consistent and better with plots... I just like it, there's something cynically comforting and there'll always be a few good laughs per episode.

Clownbaby

Family Guy is always a backup for me when there's nothing on telly. I don't have any expectations of it either way so it never really disappoints me. As long as it isn't an episode where Quagmire is being really whiny I'm fine with it.

I wonder why they decided to change Quagmire from a sleaze lizard into a weidly dramatic guy with emotions? That was a strange move. Is he still like that now? I haven't watched it in a while

Malcy

Enjoyed this week's again. Patrick Stewart always makes an episode better.

Malcy

Think I'll struggle to ever hear the Hill St Blues theme again without singing the lyrics Carter had for it in this week's episode!

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't mind the episode but the constant piss taking of Kids In The Hall annoyed considering how much better that show is when compared to this.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Malcy on November 05, 2018, 06:39:09 PM
Think I'll struggle to ever hear the Hill St Blues theme again without singing the lyrics Carter had for it in this week's episode!

Family Guy must be getting pretty desperate if they're nicking gags off Sean Keaveny. He's been singing those lyrics to HSB for the past 10 years!

Clownbaby

Does anyone even like Brian

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 11, 2018, 11:31:41 AM

I used to but they're pretty much ruined the character now.

olliebean

Quote from: Pseudopath on November 11, 2018, 11:25:56 AM
Family Guy must be getting pretty desperate if they're nicking gags off Sean Keaveny. He's been singing those lyrics to HSB for the past 10 years!

What are you talking about? It's not a gag. Those are the lyrics.

Icehaven

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 08, 2018, 09:10:03 PM
I didn't mind the episode but the constant piss taking of Kids In The Hall annoyed considering how much better that show is when compared to this.

I haven't seen the episode yet but I'm surprised to hear there's a lot of jokes about something no one under 40 is likely to have ever seen.

Icehaven

Quote from: Malcy on November 05, 2018, 06:39:09 PM

I haven't seen the episode yet but I'm surprised to hear there's a lot of jokes about something no one under 40 is likely to have ever seen.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on November 12, 2018, 01:08:18 PM

Quote from: icehaven on November 12, 2018, 01:07:52 PM

Heh, I guess it's just a sign of them running out of things to parody / snark at.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 11, 2018, 11:31:41 AM

He was a great deadpan accomplice to Peter in the beginning.

Peter: I think I read about this sort of thing in a book once.
Brian: Are you sure it was a book? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?
Peter: Oh yeah.

Icehaven

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 12, 2018, 01:41:29 PM
He was a great deadpan accomplice to Peter in the beginning.

Peter: I think I read about this sort of thing in a book once.
Brian: Are you sure it was a book? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?
Peter: Oh yeah.

I used to love that Brian but he's too frequently used as (yet another) conduit to make it OK to indirectly laugh at lazily obvious targets because it's his bad luck we're supposedly laughing at, you see. I caught half a recent episode where he married a terminally ill woman who then unexpectedly survives and puts on loads of weight, and the whole joke is basically ''haha now Brian's stuck with this fat woman who never stops eating or farting and has loads of cats and her Mother's moved in too hahahaha.'' Add that to the failed relationships with an old crone of 50, Quagmire's transgender Dad and Gillian and that's several episodes where the whole joke has been ''haha Brian's girlfriend is old/trans/stupid/fat.'' 

Blumf

Yeah, but the joke isn't his bad luck, it's that he's a shallow prick who tries to put up an intellectual front, complains about never finding the right woman, but is really only interest in looks and one night stands.

Don't forget, one of his failed relationships was down to the woman being far too smart for him.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: icehaven on November 12, 2018, 03:12:58 PM
I used to love that Brian but he's too frequently used as (yet another) conduit to make it OK to indirectly laugh at lazily obvious targets because it's his bad luck we're supposedly laughing at, you see. I caught half a recent episode where he married a terminally ill woman who then unexpectedly survives and puts on loads of weight, and the whole joke is basically ''haha now Brian's stuck with this fat woman who never stops eating or farting and has loads of cats and her Mother's moved in too hahahaha.'' Add that to the failed relationships with an old crone of 50, Quagmire's transgender Dad and Gillian and that's several episodes where the whole joke has been ''haha Brian's girlfriend is old/trans/stupid/fat.''

it takes a lot to shock me and I like my Family Guy mean but I was aghast at 'I probably have 6 months of cancer farts backed up.'

Malcy

Enjoyed the tribute to Carrie Fisher in this week's.

Bennett Brauer

It was okay, but nothing really special. The "wrong funeral" pay-off was pretty hacky.

neveragain

I enjoyed the two overt Monty Python references in the latest new episode on ITV2 yesterday ('Con Heiress'), one of which was oft-repeated (as it should be, that's the gag). Nice little homages like that - as well as the It's Man opening and applauding old women in some other episodes - make up for 'force Meg to watch the bad MP sketches' cutaway.

Small Man Big Horse

I haven't seen this week's yet as last week's episode was so appalling I'm not sure I'm going to bother with the series anymore. The main plot centred around Herbert thinking that Peter was a young boy and so hiring him and Chris to do some gardening, only for Chris to get jealous that the old man didn't want to fuck him anymore, it was so painfully unfunny I don't think I laughed once and spent most of the episode angrily shouting at the screen.

neveragain

Big bump. Obviously nobody cares about the show now but I thought it was very interesting that they did a DVD commentary-style episode which most US viewers hated. Take a look at the IMDB comments, they're ridiculous.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9652794/reviews?ref_=m_tt_urv

Thought it was quite creative of them, especially making a whole episode just to talk over (even if it may have been made from offcuts). It also had a good riff on homage/referencing/just stealing something.
Naff meta-meta ending.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: neveragain on May 29, 2019, 12:25:45 PM

Thought it was quite creative of them, especially making a whole episode just to talk over (even if it may have been made from offcuts).

Haven't seen the Family Guy ep in question, but Space Ghost did a Mommentary episode where the writers' mums/moms spoke over the action.

Blumf

It was worth a punt, as an idea. Don't think it landed.

There was a DVD commentary idea in an American Dad episode, forget which one, had Klaus taking over a fight scene.

madhair60

"Bullocks to Stan", very early episode. Very funny scene imo

neveragain

Quote from: rasta-spouse on May 29, 2019, 12:50:53 PM
Haven't seen the Family Guy ep in question, but Space Ghost did a Mommentary episode where the writers' mums/moms spoke over the action.

There's a few British examples I can think of too - the Rob Brydon series Director's Commentary, Inside No.9's Devil Of Christmas... I'm sure there's been more.