Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1987 film "Julia and Julia" with Kathleen Turner and Sting

Started by gepree, October 11, 2018, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gepree

I just ordered the 1987 film Julia and Julia (Giulia e Giulia) starring Kathleen Turner and Sting.

QuoteJulia, an American woman living in Italy, becomes depressed and traumatized after her husband Paolo is killed in a car accident on their wedding day.

Six years later, Julia inexplicably finds herself sliding in time between two different worlds, where in one she is still struggling with her grief over Paolo's death, and in the other she is married to Paolo.

In the latter time-line, Paolo is alive and well with their five year old son, and Julia is having an affair with a British gentleman named Daniel.

The frequent supernatural sliding between these two worlds threaten to drive Julia crazy, as she begins having difficulty in telling them apart, and as she learns which world she is currently living in.

I last watched it back in the late 1980s / early 1990s and would love to see it again, even to see whether or not it really is as good as I remember.  IMDB only gives it 5.7, so I am not holding my breath :)

Annoyingly the film is not available on DVD, only on VHS (and Laserdisc).  I found a copy on Ebay for €13.40 from Austria.

Anyone else seen this film before, and if so what did you think?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gepree on October 11, 2018, 02:36:49 PM
I just ordered the 1987 film Julia and Julia (Giulia e Giulia) starring Kathleen Turner and Sting.

I last watched it back in the late 1980s / early 1990s and would love to see it again, even to see whether or not it really is as good as I remember.  IMDB only gives it 5.7, so I am not holding my breath :)

Annoyingly the film is not available on DVD, only on VHS (and Laserdisc).  I found a copy on Ebay for €13.40 from Austria.

Anyone else seen this film before, and if so what did you think?

Never heard of it but there's a blu-ray rip available, and if you end up liking it I'll give it a shot.

steveh

Saw it a couple of years back and while an interesting concept the execution was terrible and Sting's acting was dire. It seemed rather in the telenovela tradition, not helped by being filmed on the HD video of the time.