Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daredevil - Season 3

Started by Norton Canes, October 11, 2018, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

On Netflix October 19th.

Official trailer

Don't know much about classic Daredevil stories from the past so I'm no sure what's going on with this impostor. Just hope it's still better than any of the other Defenders series.

Dannyhood91

I watch this for Kingpin not that blind dogooder.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Three series and he hasn't jumped a motorbike over even one bus.

Dannyhood91

It's on Netflix tonight babes

monolith

Do I need to have watched the last series of Luke Cage and Iron Fist for this? Because I was really bored with Luke Cage and even less arsed with Iron Fist.

Dr Rock

Quote from: monolith on October 19, 2018, 10:05:02 PM
Do I need to have watched the last series of Luke Cage and Iron Fist for this?

I roughly know the plot of this season, and no. I didn't finish Iron Fist or Luke Cage either.

Shaky

I didn't bother with Luke Cage or Iron Fist but gonna watch at least the last episode of The Defenders to get up to speed.

Dr Rock

In case you didn't recognise her, that's Joanne Whalley playing the nun/his mum. In her first scene where she in tending his wounds she snaps on some rubber gloves, surely a call-back to those memorable scenes in The Singing Detective.

Also, she used to be married Batman (Val Kilmer).

Enjoyed the first episode.

Halfway through and enjoying it. It's tons better than the silly mystic ninja soap opera mess Season 2 devolved into.

Episode 4 is a belter.

Dialogue is still very on-the-nose throughout and often clunks, but the performances cover this well.

Except Elden Hanson, who is not only miscast as Foggy but still can't act very well at all. There's a scene in ep 3 where he has to act outraged/scared after finding out the Kingpin wants vengeance and he keeps pacing and stiffly throwing his hands up in a way that's pure Garth Marenghi.

Norton Canes

Watched the first ep, Joanne Whalley is excellent.

Dannyhood91

I'm on the first episode and it seems they're doing a loose adaptation of the Born Again story arc.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on October 22, 2018, 12:14:36 PMI'm on the first episode and it seems they're doing a loose adaptation of the Born Again story arc.
I just watched episode one last night, good stuff so far but the stuff with the FBI dude was quite jarring.

Quote from: Shaky on October 19, 2018, 11:42:15 PM
I didn't bother with Luke Cage or Iron Fist but gonna watch at least the last episode of The Defenders to get up to speed.
Netflix plays a (skippable) recap at the beginning, which includes the important Defenders stuff (i.e. not much of it). As long as you know how the characters ended up I reckon you should be fine.

Shaky

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 22, 2018, 12:23:17 PM
I just watched episode one last night, good stuff so far but the stuff with the FBI dude was quite jarring.
Netflix plays a (skippable) recap at the beginning, which includes the important Defenders stuff (i.e. not much of it). As long as you know how the characters ended up I reckon you should be fine.

Cheers, that's good to know. Keen to get into S3 (as is the missus) without getting too bogged down with auxiliary stuff.

Dr Rock

I'm up to episode four and it's fucking fantastic. D'Onofrio is knocking it out of the park already. Joanne Whalley is great too. And can't wait for more B******.  It's going to get much worse for poor old Matt. He's good at hide and seek in a car park though.

Small Man Big Horse

Just watched the first episode and was bored to tears. Way too much of Matt being all moody and rubbish and barely any Fisk at all. I'll stick with it for a couple more episodes but it really needs to pick up if I'm going to make it to the end.

I also found it a bit slow going at first. It certainly picks up though. I'm up to episode 11 now and it's absolutely riveting.

Finished it yesterday. It was certainly more consistent than the second series, but possibly didn't hit the highs of the Punisher storyline from that (it was better than Punisher's own series, though). Perhaps inevitably, it also felt like a bit of a rehash of the first series.

The secondary bad guy was compelling, but it was difficult to watch him do his thing and not think of...

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on October 20, 2018, 12:08:04 PM
Episode 4 is a belter

Good, because I did 3 last night and thought it was the weakest so far. The sparsely-populated demo with the calls of "Lock Fisk up!" was a particular low-point, and the device of having Matt conduct a conversation with an imaginary Fisk was a bit clichéd. Also for someone dressed like a beaten-up vagrant he seemed to be able to wander round a top-class hotel without attracting much suspicion. And yeah, Eldon Henson...

Still, I can see that it's building towards something and looking forward to tonight's belter.

surreal

Enjoying this so far but not paying as much attention as I maybe should have - I thought the episode 5 journey through Agent Poindexter's life was fantastically well done though, but I found the single-shot fight sequence from ep 4 less impressive than the corridor scene from S1 or the staircase S2.  Watching a few more this evening.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I have to admit I've been taking Daredevil less seriously since I saw the works of Sean Tejaratchi (Liartown USA).

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/post/151272239050/marvels-dour-hallway-punch-up-episode-0101-dark

VelourSpirit

Just watched the first episode. I'm really glad I never got excited for this and forgot that it was even coming out this month, because it was a really nice surprise to find that it's back on form. Loved the weird visuals at the beginning with Matt Murdock falling through the void, and I'll never get bored of Wilson Fisk's slow deliberate rage monologues.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: TwinPeaks on October 25, 2018, 10:45:57 PM
I'll never get bored of Wilson Fisk's slow deliberate rage monologues.
Well you're certainly in luck!

Quote from: surreal on October 25, 2018, 04:15:39 PM
Enjoying this so far but not paying as much attention as I maybe should have - I thought the episode 5 journey through Agent Poindexter's life was fantastically well done though, but I found the single-shot fight sequence from ep 4 less impressive than the corridor scene from S1 or the staircase S2.  Watching a few more this evening.

I thought the prison scene was astounding, on a technical level of course but also on a narrative level. The fact it was one unbroken shot really helped to amp up the tension - Matt was struggling to escape and we were there with him for the duration. It was impressive they got a lengthy dialogue scene in the middle too. Interviews on the web say it was a genuine single-take too (after several attempts, imagine being the person who fucked it up!)

I thought it was better than the season 2 staircase fight as the urgency wasn't felt as much, it never felt Matt wasn't in control, it just felt like a flashy fight scene to throw in there. Plus there were some obvious cuts in that which diminished the technical achievement somewhat.

Norton Canes

That season 2 fight scene is also diminished by the fact that Daredevil does the whole of it with a gun gaffer-taped to his hand. It just looks silly.

The season 3 effort was outstanding, yeah. Perhaps the only slightly naff bits were the fights going on in the prison yard near the end, which looked a bit artificial.

magval

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 26, 2018, 09:18:29 AM

Interviews on the web say it was a genuine single-take too (after several attempts, imagine being the person who fucked it up!)

The one distracting things about these scenes is how hard it is not to look for the join, but I'm sure there's one when he goes around a corner into a long hallway. The camera gets too close to the doorframe and there's a fraction of a second where you can't see anything. Gotta be a cut.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: magval on October 26, 2018, 10:00:23 AM
The one distracting things about these scenes is how hard it is not to look for the join, but I'm sure there's one when he goes around a corner into a long hallway. The camera gets too close to the doorframe and there's a fraction of a second where you can't see anything. Gotta be a cut.

Yeah they plan moments like that in case they do need to cut, whether they end up using them or not. One of the interviews online says the pulsing, red emergency lighting was put there to facilitate cuts if needed but they ended up with a usable full take and actually brightened the darker parts in post-production to emphasise the fact there were no cuts.

magval

Class. Enjoyed that sequence a lot.

surreal

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 26, 2018, 09:18:29 AM

I thought the prison scene was astounding, on a technical level of course but also on a narrative level. The fact it was one unbroken shot really helped to amp up the tension - Matt was struggling to escape and we were there with him for the duration. It was impressive they got a lengthy dialogue scene in the middle too. Interviews on the web say it was a genuine single-take too (after several attempts, imagine being the person who fucked it up!)

I thought it was better than the season 2 staircase fight as the urgency wasn't felt as much, it never felt Matt wasn't in control, it just felt like a flashy fight scene to throw in there. Plus there were some obvious cuts in that which diminished the technical achievement somewhat.

Fair enough - maybe I'll have to go back and re-watch at some point

The Culture Bunker

I've watched up to Episode Six and am really enjoying it. I think D'Onofrio is the main reason - I wasn't entirely sure about his approach to Fisk at first but I've really grown to find him an engaging character. I like how his lawyer, Donovan, is obviously (and naturally) terrified of him. The actor sells it really well.