Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:45:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daredevil - Season 3

Started by Norton Canes, October 11, 2018, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

The hit on the girl from the suicide hotline centre was absolutely heart breaking, reminded me of Andrea getting shot in Breaking Bad. I can handle hours of torture and gore but believably decent people getting caught up and killed through no fault of their own really gets to me!

monolith

Eugh, really early on I was praying that they wouldn't make Nadeem's boss a Fisk accomplice as it seemed so obvious and by the numbers, something similar seems to happen in almost every Marvel series and when it finally happened it was a complete non event in terms of shock factor. I hope this isn't where it jumps the shark as it's been great up until now but that part annoyed me.

The Roofdog

Absolutely loved this, reminded me of how exciting the first seasons of DD & JJ were before it all went off the rails.

garnish

A few times I've skipped past fight scenes because it's so darkly lit I can't see what's going on, it's basically a black screen with grunting noises.  I wonder if this is an immersive technique to put me in Daredevil's shoes, because he is a blind man.

NoSleep

All the talk of redemption in this season seemed to acknowledge that this was a full season redemption of the Daredevil series (a few wobbles but a vast improvement over season 2). I liked the touch of his pro-costume getting baddie status whilst he returned to season 1's proto-costume. Stick's absence was appreciated, too.

NoSleep

Quote from: garnish on October 28, 2018, 10:26:04 AM
A few times I've skipped past fight scenes because it's so darkly lit I can't see what's going on, it's basically a black screen with grunting noises.  I wonder if this is an immersive technique to put me in Daredevil's shoes, because he is a blind man.

Probably not, because there have been simulations of how his heightened remaining senses "light up" his surroundings in the previous seasons. The dark is meant to show his opponent's disadvantage.

Dr Rock

He hasn't got radar sense though. And he no longer seems to have even a trace of red hair.

Dr Rock

Yes a couple of fights scenes were so dark I had to adjust my monitor, then I could see.

monolith

Quote from: NoSleep on October 28, 2018, 10:56:34 AM
All the talk of redemption in this season seemed to acknowledge that this was a full season redemption of the Daredevil series (a few wobbles but a vast improvement over season 2). I liked the touch of his pro-costume getting baddie status whilst he returned to season 1's proto-costume. Stick's absence was appreciated, too.
Yeah I've just finished it. Definitely not perfect, but when has it ever been? Very enjoyable and completely unexpected, after season 2 I wasn't really arsed about this as these Marvel shows haven't been good for years. Big return to form, and the black costume is so much better than that red shit show, comics be damned.

Quote from: monolith on October 28, 2018, 07:18:46 PM
Big return to form, and the black costume is so much better than that red shit show, comics be damned.

Yeah that black costume is actually the first he wore in the timeline of Frank Miller's origin story Man Without Fear comic and I agree it's far better than the clunky chunky red version they saw fit to give him for the first two TV seasons. I get the appeal of pseudo-realistic body armour, but it just doesn't work does it? Oddly thought it looked better on Dex than it ever did on Matt.

Dannyhood91

Just seen episode 5 and WOW I liked that a lot. They've even made the baddie who's power is that he's really good at throwing, interesting, relatable and vulnerable.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on October 28, 2018, 08:53:03 PM
Yeah that black costume is actually the first he wore in the timeline of Frank Miller's origin story Man Without Fear comic and I agree it's far better than the clunky chunky red version they saw fit to give him for the first two TV seasons. I get the appeal of pseudo-realistic body armour, but it just doesn't work does it? Oddly thought it looked better on Dex than it ever did on Matt.

Edit - slight Spoilers maybe, avoid if you haven't watched it all.

The Netflix shows kept to their fear of giving their superheroes costumes, like it was the 90s, rather a time when it seems part of their appeal and the audience is quite keen on cool costumes like The Black Panther has. Or the one Bullseye should have. I agree the clunk one they gave him needed a lot of work, but even Bullseye didn't wear it as much as I expected, I thought there would be more of him impersonating DD.

As an adaptation of the Born Again storyline, what was missing was the way Kingpin totally destroys Matt's life - because in this he starts out already a broken man. Things don't really get much worse for him, the only way was up after the first scene.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The red costume was a bit goofy looking, but I'd have liked to see him adopt something a bit more Daredevilly, rather than go back to the old black one. It's already been established that Melvin's magic armour is as thin as cloth, so they could surely have come up with a more streamlined design. Have it symbolise Matt not being weighed down by the past, or something.

It also seems a shame that he doesn't have his grappling hook nunchuk thing any more. I guess it was probably a git to work the fight choreography and effects around, but it added an interesting dimension to the action.

Dannyhood91

Seeing Karen act like a slapper at that party was lovely I'd like to meet that Karen.

rasta-spouse

Really flashback heavy season. Liked the two new characters Nadeem and Poindexter. Good slow build up of tension all the way through. Then a damp squib finale where everything is reset in a 90s bad tv way, and they're suddenly chuckling together in a bar - I think this was interesting enough to string out over two seasons.

NoSleep

Quote from: rasta-spouse on October 30, 2018, 10:22:29 AM
Then a damp squib finale

Basically, Daredevil ruins Fisk's wedding.

AsparagusTrevor

I was glad of the happy ending, despite the cheesiness. Too many stories going for the grimdark downer endings now, including Marvel's own series, it was nice to have a bit of positivity and hope for a change.

Really enjoyed the season, it had me on the edge of my seat throughout, I didn't feel it was overlong or lost steam like other Marvel shows. Great action scenes too. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be the last season.

Norton Canes

Would still like to see him turn up in one of the MCU movies.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 30, 2018, 02:42:41 PM
I was glad of the happy ending, despite the cheesiness. Too many stories going for the grimdark downer endings now, including Marvel's own series, it was nice to have a bit of positivity and hope for a change.

Really enjoyed the season, it had me on the edge of my seat throughout, I didn't feel it was overlong or lost steam like other Marvel shows. Great action scenes too. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be the last season.
Given all the recent behind the scenes stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the final series. Perhaps that's for the best anyway. Not being familiar with the comics, I don't know where they can go from here. No one wants to see The Hand make a reappearance and Fisk is surely finished now. He can't go back to being a respected public figure after being arrested for a second time, so his only other option is to pull strings from prison, as in series 2. Then again, I'm no writer.

rjd2

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 31, 2018, 12:24:22 AM
Given all the recent behind the scenes stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the final series. Perhaps that's for the best anyway. Not being familiar with the comics, I don't know where they can go from here. No one wants to see The Hand make a reappearance and Fisk is surely finished now. He can't go back to being a respected public figure after being arrested for a second time, so his only other option is to pull strings from prison, as in series 2. Then again, I'm no writer.

I don't really follow the behind the scene stuff, but am under the impression the show is successful and those behind it would be in no hurry whatsoever to wrap it up. I like the cast, but none of them are box office so it should be easy to tie them down.

What am I missing?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: rjd2 on October 31, 2018, 12:14:04 PM
I don't really follow the behind the scene stuff, but am under the impression the show is successful and those behind it would be in no hurry whatsoever to wrap it up. I like the cast, but none of them are box office so it should be easy to tie them down.

What am I missing?

As far as I know it's just the cancellations of the, admittedly less successful, Luke Cage and Iron Fist combined with the upcoming competition of Disney's streaming service which has a lot of people speculating that Netflix's MCU shows might be in danger.

Disney will certainly be pulling the Marvel films off there but apparently this doesn't affect the shows which are Netflix produced. Of course, Disney's streaming service likely won't have shows with the kind of adult content that the Netflix shows contain.

There's definitely more Jessica Jones and, more excitingly, The Punisher to come next year.

Norton Canes

Watched episode six. That fight at the end is mental! Best Daredevil fight ever.

AsparagusTrevor

Was that the Bulletin office? Yeah that was great. I like the fights in this series are always so crunchy, the punches feel weighty and the impacts look painful and damaging.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 05, 2018, 10:19:20 AM
Watched episode six. That fight at the end is mental! Best Daredevil fight ever.

I love those weird jerky camera movements. This season's great, really nicely directed all round.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 30, 2018, 02:55:51 PM
Would still like to see him turn up in one of the MCU movies.

This version or a different take on the character?

Norton Canes

Oh this version, for sure. Charlie Cox definitely deserves at least a few moments on the big screen, even if not in a DD movie. I know tonally this show is a bit different to the movie universe but he'd really complement the other characters, I'm sure.

Got one more episode of season three to watch. The penultimate installment was a bit underwhelming I thought, however I'm sure the denouement will be devastating.

The Culture Bunker

As much as I liked this third series, and am looking forward to the Punisher in 2019, a bit of timescale to connect it to the wider MCU would have been nice. Maybe Foggy and Karen fading into fagash just as everything was nice and happy.

Small Man Big Horse

This has just been cancelled, which I'm surprised by as I read the writers only pitched their ideas for season 4 last week. https://news.avclub.com/netflix-cancels-daredevil-1830758102

VelourSpirit

They let them plan it all out knowing they'd fucking cancel it anyway. That's Netflix's best show gone.

The Roofdog

Well at least I can cancel my Netflix subscription now. Insane decision, there must be some legal reason behind this.