Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daredevil - Season 3

Started by Norton Canes, October 11, 2018, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Roofdog on November 30, 2018, 07:44:47 AM
Well at least I can cancel my Netflix subscription now. Insane decision, there must be some legal reason behind this.

Rumour has it that Marvel's responsible, with the suggestion being they suddenly wanted a fuck load more money. No idea if that's true though.

Swoz_MK

I wonder if Disney's upcoming streaming service has anything to do with it?

AsparagusTrevor

Not totally unexpected but still, bunch of arse. I'm guessing JJ and Punisher will be next after their respective seasons next year.

Norton Canes

Yeah, shit news, but completely on the cards. Still, we got three seasons plus DD in the Defenders series and I'm wondering what else they could have done. We've seen Kingpin, Elektra, Bullseye and The Punisher, and the dark underbelly of Hell's Kitchen has given us everything from supernatural horror to gritty low-life crime to government conspiracies... not a bad legacy. It hasn't always been perfect but it's delivered countless superb moments and has been perfectly adapted to suit the long-form style.

Just a shame it all concluded with the horribly saccharine closing scenes of series three. Right to the last moment I was convinced it would end with Fisk in the ascendancy, poised to assume the mantle of New York's most powerful crime lord, and Matt Murdoch back in the Daredevil suit in an attempt to reclaim his identity from Ben Poindexter. Instead it was smiles all round and back to Foggy's for pastrami and Newcastle Brown (How bizarre was that? Were they trying to draw parallels between New York's toughest district and the Toon? Was DD poised to relocate to for a season set in Byker?)

Anyway, since all the acting plaudits have usually been directed at D'Onofrio, Woll, Berthal and Bethel, let me say that Charlie Cox has been consistently magnificent throughout the series, delivering angst, anger, pathos and humour with equal aplomb. Plus he looked great in the suit, even though the suit didn't always looked great. And his 'blind' acting was fantastic. 

Scope for a DD movie now, do we think? Not sure how it would play out to newcomers without an 'origins' section.

AsparagusTrevor

I was hoping, however unlikely, that the previous cancellations would all be leading to the 'Heroes For Hire featuring Daughters of the Dragon' announcement, maybe another Defenders season (but with separate stories for the characters maybe) but the fact they've dumped the best show of the lot has confirmed they're just cleaning house of the Disney owned stuff.  The best we can hope for now is watered down PG Disney series popping up on their streaming service, yet another streaming service for the massively fragmented pile to pirate stuff off.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 30, 2018, 09:47:46 AMScope for a DD movie now, do we think? Not sure how it would play out to newcomers without an 'origins' section.
It'd be great to have a superhero movie without being bogged down with origin stuff, just jump into it mid-career. They could stick some flashbacks in. Actually, that's just the Ben Afleck movie, isn't it. On second thoughts don't do that, please.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 30, 2018, 09:47:46 AMAnyway, since all the acting plaudits have usually been directed at D'Onofrio, Woll, Berthal and Bethel, let me say that Charlie Cox has been consistently magnificent throughout the series, delivering angst, anger, pathos and humour with equal aplomb. Plus he looked great in the suit, even though the suit didn't always looked great.
Charlie Cox has been great, plus he manages all the above while pretending convincingly to be blind and American.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 30, 2018, 09:47:46 AMInstead it was smiles all round and back to Foggy's for pastrami and Newcastle Brown (How bizarre was that? Were they trying to draw parallels between New York's toughest district and the Toon? Was DD poised to relocate to for a season set in Byker?)
Yeah I thought them drinking Newkie Brown was weird also, I did a Google search afterwards and apparently it pops up in Big Band Theory (something I've never watched an episode of) and is considered trendy in the USA, in a similar way Pabst Blue Ribbon is here.

monolith

I did not know Charlie Cox was English! Agree that he's been brilliant throughout, couldn't imagine anyone else playing Daredevil.

Gutted about this announcement even though it wasn't unexpected. I wonder if Matt will appear at all in JJ or Punisher? .

surreal

I hope that Netflix have on-going long-term broadcast rights for these shows, as Disney have said their channel will be only PG-13 at most I'm hoping they don't just disappear for good.

MojoJojo

Quote from: surreal on November 30, 2018, 01:35:02 PM
I hope that Netflix have on-going long-term broadcast rights for these shows, as Disney have said their channel will be only PG-13 at most I'm hoping they don't just disappear for good.

Almost certainly - the entire reason netflix and amazon have gone into production is because all the licensing/regional distributor stuff is a complete arsehole for them.

Also, who would stop them having the rights since they paid for it outright.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 30, 2018, 09:47:46 AMJust a shame it all concluded with the horribly saccharine closing scenes of series three. Right to the last moment I was convinced it would end with Fisk in the ascendancy, poised to assume the mantle of New York's most powerful crime lord, and Matt Murdoch back in the Daredevil suit in an attempt to reclaim his identity from Ben Poindexter.
I think the moment Fisk knew for sure that Matt was Daredevil, that idea was never going to happen unless it was with Foggy and Karen dead, and Matt in hiding.

I enjoyed this series a lot, but if you take the scene was Poindexter/Bullseye being fixed up out of it, the final scenes did feel like a full stop to everything.

purlieu

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 30, 2018, 09:15:05 AM
I wonder if Disney's upcoming streaming service has anything to do with it?
There's definitely a sense that Marvel are trying to have that for the bulk of their small-screen stuff. But then ABC have just commissioned two new series of Agents of SHIELD, which doesn't correlate with that...

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: purlieu on November 30, 2018, 09:49:11 PM
There's definitely a sense that Marvel are trying to have that for the bulk of their small-screen stuff. But then ABC have just commissioned two new series of Agents of SHIELD, which doesn't correlate with that...
Bloody hell, that's still going? I can't remember how long it is since I checked out... I watched the Ghost Rider stuff, which was fine, but not long after that ended (unless he came back).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: purlieu on November 30, 2018, 09:49:11 PM

Disney owns ABC though so can presumably show older episodes on their new service.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There are two different divisions at Marvel, Marvel Studios, managed by Kevin Feige, and Marvel TV, managed by Jeph Loeb.
Until 2014 or 2015, both Feige and Loeb answered to Marvel CEO, Ike Perlmutter, who sold the company to Disney. Perlmutter has repeatedly being criticized for being stingy, insensitive and somewhat racist.
Feige asked for a corporate shuffle, and he doesn't have to deal with Perlmutter anymore because of the reorg, as he's at the same level of responsibility now as the bosses at Disney Animation, Pixar and Lucasfilm and he's under the orders of the Walt Disney Studios boss, Alan Horn. However, Perlmutter still oversees the TV stuff (he was the one who lobbied for Inhumans lately).

This is why the Netflix shows are allowed to allude to the "events" in New York from Avengers Assemble but not to name Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, etc. They are properties of the MCU, and Feige has never allowed Marvel TV to take advantage of them. However, the two miniseries in production for Disney+, the one about Loki and the one about Scarlet Witch are TV material that's being handled, for the first time by Marvel Studios (hence Olsen and Hiddleston being cast in those).

So, there is some power dynamic at play between Marvel TV and Netflix, but also between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios. Daredevil and some of the other shows may not be on Disney+ before Marvel Studios is okay with that. For now, they're busy pushing their own material and it may not be a high priority for Feige to allow Marvel TV and Marvel Studios to produce in parallel on the same platform.

VelourSpirit

I really can't see them ever continuing Daredevil with the same cast. Why would they have Daredevil season 4 on the Disney streaming service if you can only watch the first three seasons on Netflix?

Bazooka

I've still not watched series 3 yet, but damn I did not expect this to get cancelled, I know its R rated, but the first series and most of the second series blew any other recent Marvel TV/Film creation out of the water.

Jessica Jones and The Punisher stand no chance.

purlieu

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 30, 2018, 10:10:29 PM
Bloody hell, that's still going? I can't remember how long it is since I checked out... I watched the Ghost Rider stuff, which was fine, but not long after that ended (unless he came back).
That was season four, so we've had a year and a half of it since then. It's actually my favourite Marvel thing - a lot of really likeable characters and some increasingly off-the-wall storylines - so I'm glad it's staying for another couple of years, but it's bizarre that it's the one that's sticking around given the relatively low viewing figures it gets.

surreal

Quote from: purlieu on December 01, 2018, 11:28:41 AM
That was season four, so we've had a year and a half of it since then. It's actually my favourite Marvel thing - a lot of really likeable characters and some increasingly off-the-wall storylines - so I'm glad it's staying for another couple of years, but it's bizarre that it's the one that's sticking around given the relatively low viewing figures it gets.

Disney owns ABC I think and they insisted that it keep running, must be tying into the movies - last season they alluded to the Earth being under attack which would have been Thanos, so I'm guessing that will be carrying on for a bit.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: purlieu on December 01, 2018, 11:28:41 AM

Right at the beginning I thought 'this should be 7 seasons'. Then every season after three I was expecting cancellation. Glad it's stayed on the air. Weird though - I've still not seen any of season 5 despite really enjoying season 4, though I'd have several week breaks where I'd lose interest a bit and then catch up with 5 episodes in one go and wonder why I waited so long. Suppose I will catch up again soon. I really love Fitz. Surprised he's still in it, was fully expecting him to have an emotional death early on so Iain de Caestecker could go and be in films.

MuteBanana

Quote from: monolith on November 30, 2018, 10:20:51 AM
I did not know Charlie Cox was English! Agree that he's been brilliant throughout, couldn't imagine anyone else playing Daredevil.

Gutted about this announcement even though it wasn't unexpected. I wonder if Matt will appear at all in JJ or Punisher? .

He's in the Hatton Square rip off. Caine, Winstone, Courtenay, Broadbent, Whitehouse, Gambon. Daredevil right in there playing a posh one

Norton Canes

Does Daredevil appear in the new season of Punisher? Didn't watch the last one but would take a look at any episode with DD.

Probably best to PM me if so, otherwise spoilers for everyone

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 20, 2019, 10:51:48 AM
Does Daredevil appear in the new season of Punisher? Didn't watch the last one but would take a look at any episode with DD.

Probably best to PM me if so, otherwise spoilers for everyone
Invisispoliertext - No - there's only Karen who appears in both Punisher seasons (and Detective Mahoney is apparently in season 2).

Norton Canes

Transparent text, huh? Nice! Shame about Punisher/DD. Oh well, thanks.