Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We need to talk about why we don't talk about new music

Started by alan nagsworth, October 11, 2018, 05:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Last year was an unbelievably shit year for new albums and (coupled with finally getting into jazz) it's kind of depleted my energy this year. Not someone who talks much about music in general though.

Between Kanye's splurge, Sophie, Yves Tumor and a couple of others, it's been an _okay_ year so far. Outside of Kanye and the initial processing of what was going on on the Sophie album, nothing's excited me especially.

manticore

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 15, 2018, 08:25:40 PM
I have had loads of my favourites slated in here over the years but try not to take it too personally. You just have to stand up for the shit you like.

I've got to say, when I cack-handedly started a thread about reggae a couple of years ago and Nagsworth hopped into the thread to say that reggae and ska were the worst genres of music he'd ever heard - 'wall to wall abhorrent guff' - it pleased me greatly because there are very few people with whom I share as little in musical taste as him. I like it when the world makes sense like that.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 15, 2018, 09:09:38 PM
that's because you have AWFUL TASTE

Nah, sorry if I've ever jumped down your neck. I'm sure I have. I try to keep my scathing dismissals reserved for threads in GB that are blatantly hateful or counter-productive or downright pointless but Yesno is probably right about me flying off the handle and being like "arsed mate, shite".

I do actually think you have very good taste. I mean, you like Ween, fer cryin' out loud.

Your enthusiasm and lambastingness about stuff is always very mischievous and infectious

FWIW I didn't see any passive aggressiveness in your OP. You care. Good.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: manticore on October 15, 2018, 09:35:10 PM
I've got to say, when I cack-handedly started a thread about reggae a couple of years ago and Nagsworth hopped into the thread to say that reggae and ska were the worst genres of music he'd ever heard - 'wall to wall abhorrent guff' - it pleased me greatly because there are very few people with whom I share as little in musical taste as him. I like it when the world makes sense like that.

haha fucks sake. I know you're being nice but I am sorry about that

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 15, 2018, 09:09:38 PM
I try to keep my scathing dismissals reserved for threads in GB that are blatantly hateful or counter-productive or downright pointless but Yesno is probably right about me flying off the handle and being like "arsed mate, shite".

Heh, a good evisceration is something to work with :-) . NoSleep and I have had some excellent barnies over music. "arsed mate, shite" doesn't leave much scope for a response.

madhair60

Trying to think of more reasons I don't talk about music on here. "Intimidating" is a good word.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: madhair60 on October 15, 2018, 10:04:57 PM
Trying to think of more reasons I don't talk about music on here. "Intimidating" is a good word.

Don't feel intimidated. Share. I'm always defending Damon Albarn on here so imagine the grief I get?

Funcrusher

I'll give anyone a kicking if they're rude to madhair in Oscillations.

Z

"Intimidating" is a good word.
Is it that intimidating? Like, is it the harshness of judgment or the assumption of knowledge?

NoSleep

This is why I can't post about MS Paint comics.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Z on October 15, 2018, 10:50:32 PM
Is it that intimidating? Like, is it the harshness of judgment or the assumption of knowledge?

I find it intimidating. I'd be happy to share some of the music I'm into (and this thread has given me a couple of decent topic ideas), but there are two things that have stopped me in the past. The first is that I have no technical knowledge of music, so I can't talk with any authority on why something is appealing to me, nor do I have the vocabulary to describe production techniques or this amazing thing the bassist just did at 2:24 and that's why he's a great bassist.

The second thing is that my knowledge of a particular genre isn't very deep. I started a thread a few years ago about the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack and how that led me to Dave Van Ronk, and I think one of the first replies was along the lines of "yeah he's not so good, all these other people are better". And I don't remember who it was, and I bear them no ill-will, they just know more about that stuff that me, but it makes it hard to keep a conversation going, when one person's knowledge completely outclasses the other.

But like I said, I'm noodling on a couple of thread ideas. I just want to make them good enough to be worth peoples' time.

Bazooka

Because its a waste of time, there is a new Smiths thread almost every fortnight.

Quote from: saltysnacks on October 15, 2018, 01:28:23 PM
Fair enough, but I like them a lot. They're varied and were definitely innovative when El-P was an underground producer/rapper, I just love how thick and raw they are. There is always a connection between the rapping (which is fucking top notch) and the beats, but if you can't jel with the beats, I completely understand.

They started as a group in 2012 and only really became famous recently, I don't think we have to be anxiously following 'new' as in 'now' music, as that takes a lot of work. I admit to letting the critics decide for me what to listen to to some extent, I don't want to have to wade through tons of shit to find a gem.

There's a great Rhythm Roulette with El-P making beats

https://youtu.be/q06UxOKc7io

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sardines on October 12, 2018, 11:05:37 AM
Be sure to catch Limpe Fuchs

fuck sake (fuchs ache). Didn't even realise she was still alive.

purlieu

List threads are shit, yeah. Actual content is great. I always do multi-paragraph write-ups in my 'albums of the year' lists, and people have been inspired to listen to and even purchase albums because of that, which made it feel worthwhile putting all that time into it.

I think the real reason behind this entire thing, though, is probably because a lot of people come here to discuss music rather than discover it. I've just about reached the point where I'm no longer looking for new music: there are more than enough existing artists and record labels that I follow to provide me with a couple of new albums a week, and I just don't have the brain space to take in more music than that, nor the time to balance more new music than that with my existing CD collection. I still retain the memory of the thousands of albums I've heard over the years, however, so am able to discuss those in much more detail. Obviously I can't speak for anybody else, but this is no doubt the case to some extent for a lot of people who post.

Thus: a thread about a new release people might not have heard of will immediately have less impact than a thread about an established act lots of people will have an opinion on. And when you've started a few threads and got little response, it's easy to just go 'eh, why bother?'

Conversely, one reason I barely post in here any more is because I got bored of the same artists being discussed again and again*. I have relatively little interest in most of the guitar-oriented stuff that seems to be very popular around these parts, and I sometimes struggle to spot whether I'm reading the Terrible Album Covers and Great Album Covers threads, so I tend to find a lot of the board is just of no interest to me. So maybe people posting more threads about stuff, whether they're going to be popular or not, might very well help that. I'll try to do more myself.

*There seem to be fewer artist- or genre-specific threads like this these days, but it's very often the same artists mentioned in the "What's the best...?' threads.