Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No.9 Live Halloween Special 28/10 10pm

Started by Malcy, October 11, 2018, 10:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Well, that was pretty obvious and by the numbers. Hung on till the end hoping they'd add a interesting twist, but no.

BritishHobo

Ha ha! Tough for them in that there'd always be the suspicion it'd be a clever meta thing, but it doesn't matter 'cos that was still superbly done. I fucking shit myself at Greg Davies' aunt turning to the camera.

Pseudopath

Ha ha! That was ace. Love that so many people on Twitter have admitted to changing channels when the continuity announcements started happening and are now royally pissed off.

Thursday

Yeah, the actual "plot" didn't have enough room to really develop, but it was enjoyable not knowing where it was going to go next.

Malcy

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 28, 2018, 10:39:36 PM
Ha ha! That was ace. Love that so many people on Twitter have admitted to changing channels when the continuity announcements started happening and are now royally pissed off.

I've been rewatching them randomly on iPlayer the past week. I hadn't done 'A Quiet Night In' yet luckily. If I had I would have switched off.

I really liked it but my neighbour is going to get both barrels tomorrow for her motherfucking dog sat outside barking loudly and really affecting my watching of this during the quiet tense moments.

Pseudopath

Quote from: kalowski on October 28, 2018, 10:45:17 PM
https://twitter.com/EastieOaks/status/1056671611917664258?s=09

Nice touches like this.

Yeah...that creepy girl turned up again near the end when Reece was waving his night vision camera around.

Wet Blanket

Genuinely spooked. I knew from the off it was going to be a Ghostwatch riff so the tension when it went silent, expecting a screamer, was unbearable for me. The ghost in the opening Quiet Night In footage was my favourite scare. Got a bit silly as it went on (naturally) so I could relax a bit more. I'm a sucker for spooky voices in static and whatnot. If they'd dared play it straight a bit longer and concentrated the spookiness on the announcements I might actually have shat myself. As it was though I really enjoyed it.

Like most of Inside No 9 it felt like loads of ideas squeezed into a tiny space that would have been more effective given a bit more space to breathe. Somebody give them a film!

remedial_gash

Perhaps they could have fucked with an actual show, like a 9pm episode of the One show to preview it , but with that being the event.

Basically more like ghostwatch, or a conventional BBC2 showing going weird, with them being credited at the end? Dunno. It was alright, but it wasn't scary and only marginally funny by having Reece act like a prick and the Davro clip.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Malcy on October 28, 2018, 10:07:33 PM
Sound's a shambles.

They were obviously going to fuck about with this concept, a la Ghostwatch, so I grinned like a loon when the sound cut out.

Uncle TechTip

Lovely stuff, some nice references to Granada Studios, but at the end it said it was recorded at Maidstone Studios...

I don't think any of it was actually live, it was just presented as such. Maybe the dressing room stuff with the views of other channels. Or that could have been added in on broadcast in a clever way.

I'm surprised people didn't stick with it though, thinking it was true, I guess they weren't aware of these comedians' work? "Gremlins in the studio" made me suspicious for some reason.

ishantbekeepingit

Well, I was certainly quivering, but I agree with those who are saying that the plot needed more fleshing out.  And, call me daft, but what was all that about the Coronation Street set?  Was that at the same place as the Jewel in the Crown set, and do the BBC have studios there now?

When Stephanie Cole started talking about the technology making the ghosts stronger, I was hoping for a bit of a Ghostwatch link, but no such look.

Speaking of, I saw a pair of legs in the later dressing room scenes, in the closest mirror, against the door, that walked away when Pemberton left - but I'm not sure if they were meant to be spooky ghost legs or just a crew member.

edit: Now, I do like this!

shiftwork2

I think it worked.  Kudos for taking the technical fault right through to A Quiet Night In as I'd spent the previous five minutes claiming it was all planned, before completely giving in.  Got me.

TV studios are very spooky.

holyzombiejesus

I don't think there's anyone else currently working in British television that would have attempted this.

As stated, I think we'd all guessed that they'd do something along the lines of Ghostwatch but I was still taken in by the cut to A Quiet Night In. I was enjoying the opening story and felt that the quiet, stripped back, live thing made it feel like one of those 70s Nigel Kneale plays ( Reverend Kneale natch) although after seeing the denouement, I'm glad that didn't make up the bulk of the show. I still don't know why Steve's egg exploded although I enjoyed the "I was just coddling an egg" line. Biggest laughs for me were in the first bit where they were sat in the make-up room, especially Reece's "Bobby!" impression and moaning about not actually getting the show on Halloween.

Enzo

really enjoyed that.

Loved that the "original" story probably would have been the most hacky episode of the show.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Mango Chimes

The first sound drop, I thought it was on my end.

I think what people are saying about it being a bit damaged by the timeslot is fair – if they didn't have to conserve every minute, the 'live' bit could have bedded in a bit more, and the continuity announcements could have had a bit more dead air. Although as they were going on, I did wonder about the negotiations with the channel – whether they had to make them seem a bit fake.

Loved Reece's "Yeah, do a Hallowe'en special, but you can't have it go out on actual Hallowe'en!" His irritation at that had the ring of truth to it.

Some enjoyable replies to Reece's tweet: Gogglebox woman was freaking out, Carole from the Brittas Empire was loving it, whilst Sawalha was completely terrified.

ishantbekeepingit

Is this another ghost sighting, in the middle, above and to the right of the camera?

olliebean

Did anyone else keep watching for a couple of minutes after it had finished, in case there was more to come?

Enzo

QuoteCORONATION Street stars from years gone by are haunting the soap's old set at the Granada Studios in Manchester.

The spooky goings-on are thought to have got so bad, that BBC Two show Inside No 9 has even pulled out of filming there.

According to the Daily Star, stars of the comedy series Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith have decided not to film their live Halloween special at the studio, after hearing it was haunted.

The actors were reportedly freaked out by rumours that Jean Alexander and Pat Phoenix, who played Hilda Ogden and Elsie Tanner on the soap, often visit the set as ghosts.

It is not the first time the set, which hosted the ITV soap for 53 years, has been associated with supernatural encounters.

Last year, a band were left horrified when their equipment randomly exploded during a rehearsal for the Granadaland music festival on set.

The group said they also heard "strange banging noises" during their session, causing them to call in a Catholic priest to rid the location of spirits for good.

The festival's director said at the time: "We know there have been numerous rumours over the years about paranormal happenings."

Sue Cleaver, who played Eileen Grimshaw on the soap until this year, has also been open about her belief that the famous set is haunted.

She once said of Granada: "So many people have seen and felt the same things that there has to be something in it."

Corrie started filming at Granada in 1960, but the Cobbles moved to a brand new set in Media City, Salford last year.

The newly-extended set includes a police station, courthouse, Costa coffee shop, Co-op, tattoo parlour and even a Weatherfield North tram station.

The rebooted version of Victoria Street, which cost £10million to develop, is open to the public for visits at weekends.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7588019/granada-studios-haunted-coronation-street/

From Friday's S*n newspaper.

magval

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on October 28, 2018, 10:52:51 PM
edit: Now, I do like this!

Gone. What was it?

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on October 28, 2018, 10:52:40 PM
I'm surprised people didn't stick with it though, thinking it was true, I guess they weren't aware of these comedians' work? "Gremlins in the studio" made me suspicious for some reason.

Sounded too much like a line reading. That element of it put me in mind of the excellent Down the Line episode from the haunted studio.

olliebean

Quote from: Mango Chimes on October 28, 2018, 11:08:17 PM
The first sound drop, I thought it was on my end.

I thought iPlayer had gone wrong. They didn't just mute the sound, I think they cut the audio stream entirely - my AV amp was going mental trying to lock onto it.

Natnar

Quote from: olliebean on October 28, 2018, 11:11:43 PM
Did anyone else keep watching for a couple of minutes after it had finished, in case there was more to come?
I kept expecting a bloody Reese to come running onto the set of that Mash Report after.

Malcy

Yeah. There was a trailer for This Country that jumped a couple of times and I thought they were still at it!

gib

Yes! It was called the mash report and it was really shit, no idea what they were doing with that but i hope someone died at the end.

Andy Dawson is slating it on Twitter and he's updating with how many followers he's lost. It's all a bit Partridge.

holyzombiejesus

Has there ever been a TV programme that has 'bled' in to other shows?

Mango Chimes

I was pretty shocked they showed the full clip of that Davro accident – I think I've only seen it because someone linked to it from here, and it's fucking brutal. I wonder if / hope they got his permission.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 28, 2018, 11:18:40 PM
Andy Dawson is slating it on Twitter and he's updating with how many followers he's lost. It's all a bit Partridge.

QuoteBe fair, it was better than your podcast. If it didn't have bob, you'd be fucked.