Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Book Covers

Started by saltysnacks, October 12, 2018, 02:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysnacks

Obligatory alternate version of existing thread.

Bonus points if the book is bad (not what I am implying about my own choice at all, though).

saltysnacks

I quite like Andy Weir's book covers, not great, but you could imagine a decent read behind them.

Unfortunately, The Martian is easily one of the worst experiences of my life. It's as if a redditor decided to actually write a book (which I suspect is actually the truth).

New Jack

MoonDust

This edition I'm reading;

Although my only criticism is I don't like the apostrophe in "Gravity's" stylised two stars. Looks a bit naff.

saltysnacks

Quote from: New Jack on October 21, 2018, 11:07:39 AM
What's not to like?

I love the juxtaposition of the phrase 'dark and baroque' and that frumpy boy.

Neville Chamberlain

Ballard's books always have good covers.

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, apart from that one, I suppose. What I mean is, I'm really impressed with the artwork on the more recent editions of Ballard's novels. Most of my Ballard books - apart from some old second-hand ones - have this design:

Maurice Yeatman

I agree. (I knew you wouldn't think all of his covers are winners, but I just wanted to post the other High Rise one as a contrast. The image of the woman is so obviously a desperate afterthought by the publisher.)

gilbertharding

purlieu

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: saltysnacks on October 22, 2018, 11:58:06 PM
I love the juxtaposition of the phrase 'dark and baroque' and that frumpy boy.

And tits.

Sin Agog

Always liked the covers for the Sci-Fi Masterworks. Like evolved pulp.

Sin Agog

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 24, 2018, 04:10:09 PM
I like this one:

Is that the one where The Fat Controller tells a teen boy to cum in his hands and use the resulting glob to make acne cream?  Should have used that as the cover.

Bhazor

Always been a fan of Paul Kidby's Discworld covers. Particularly the parody ones.

Really captures the darker humour the later books developed.

It also amuses me that the original Discworld cover artist was called Josh Kirby and the idea Paul Kidby got the job because Pratchett read the wrong number. Oh hours of fun imagining that.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 31, 2018, 10:59:10 PM
Always liked the covers for the Sci-Fi Masterworks. Like evolved pulp.

Hmm, not really a fan of the "random sci-fi art vaguely related to the story" approach of that series. The only one of those I really like is for Time Out Of Joint, which is a nice original design, cleverly referencing Dick and the themes of the story.

With the reissue they've completely spoiled the image by sticking a horrible orange and green filter over it - why??

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Phil_A on November 01, 2018, 06:24:59 PM

They've done that for all their SF masterworks books and it looks like crap.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: saltysnacks on November 01, 2018, 01:16:57 AM
How to resize?

[img width=300]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91NMiKeFfuL.jpg[/img]

saltysnacks

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 01, 2018, 06:36:46 PM
[img width=300]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91NMiKeFfuL.jpg[/img]

(this image is resized, I'd hoped to incorporate the lesson into my thanks, but you'd have to know the original image is huge for it to work)

mothman

I really like the covers to Becky Chambers' Galactic Commons books. There's a simplicity to them.

purlieu

mothman

I know the first book was originally self-published, and later picked up by Hodder & Stoughton. So I'm not sure if that cover above was the original original. There are two others I've seen:

Which aren't anywhere near as impressive. One might be the US printing - why do books in the US always have such rubbish covers? - the other night possibly be the self-pub one. But I don't know. Big 3-D letters seem to be a feature of self-pub covers...

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: mothman on January 20, 2019, 04:56:28 PM
I know the first book was originally self-published, and later picked up by Hodder & Stoughton. So I'm not sure if that cover above was the original original. There are two others I've seen:

Which aren't anywhere near as impressive. One might be the US printing - why do books in the US always have such rubbish covers? - the other night possibly be the self-pub one. But I don't know. Big 3-D letters seem to be a feature of self-pub covers...
I do like nice simple covers. These are much more illustrative of the guff that's printed inside though...

Anyway have a look at this: