Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:52:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck Batman

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 12, 2018, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnish

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2018, 07:25:04 PM
Yup!

At what point did not murdering people become both impractical and impossible?

Batman's no killing, no guns rule has been at the centre of his character for so long that it really is wrong not to keep it, especially in a franchise where you're supposed to be presenting your platonic ideal Batman. It's one thing to have the Burton films, which exist in their own little universe, and another to present a character who's supposed to be the Batman interacting with other prominent heroes, and have him shooting people down, branding them and breaking their necks.

If you're making a "realistic" version of Batman, it's very hard to stick to the no killing rule given how many foes he's beaten to a pulp and knocked out.  If not killing them, he's likely given them a life sentence of brain damage.

Kelvin

Quote from: garnish on October 15, 2018, 11:55:21 PM
If you're making a "realistic" version of Batman, it's very hard to stick to the no killing rule given how many foes he's beaten to a pulp and knocked out.  If not killing them, he's likely given them a life sentence of brain damage.

These kinds of arguments are so silly. We're not talking about the real world, we're talking about a heightened reality. If Batman is not shown killing people, audiences would assume that the criminals ultimately recovered. Just as audiences assume that about all people "knocked out" by heroic characters. Obviously in real life, Batman would probably inadvertently kill people through his use of violence... but in real-life, Batman couldn't exist anyway, and the types of problems he fights would neither exist, nor be solved with brute force. Applying real world logic to a heightened reality is such a boring and unimaginative way to approach fiction. 

Edit: and to be clear, even Nolan's film are heightened realities.

garnish

But what about the Adam West version of Batman

Dr Rock

Batman was created by the trauma of his parents being murdered. One of the reasons he wouldn't kill is that those henchmen might have kids that could be traumatized as he was.

garnish

I can't imagine Adam West Batman experiencing such a trauma

Dr Rock

He might not kill for another reason. I don't kill people for example, because it's one of the seven deadly sins.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on October 16, 2018, 12:09:09 AM
These kinds of arguments are so silly. We're not talking about the real world, we're talking about a heightened reality. If Batman is not shown killing people, audiences would assume that the criminals ultimately recovered. Just as audiences assume that about all people "knocked out" by heroic characters.

Yeah. And current Batman hangs out with an Amazonian goddess, a flying alien and the king of Atlantis. It's not like Batfleck is starring in a gritty, realistic take on the whole franchise.

Deanjam

It's just a more interesting character for him to have a no kill rule. Here's this guy, with no real powers, surrounded by psychopaths and criminal scum but maintains a personal moral code that would be easy to abandon. It's just boring to have him killing folk.

Dex Sawash

marry aquaman, kill captain marvel /tag

Mister Six

Quote from: Deanjam on October 16, 2018, 02:20:13 AM
It's just a more interesting character for him to have a no kill rule. Here's this guy, with no real powers, surrounded by psychopaths and criminal scum but maintains a personal moral code that would be easy to abandon. It's just boring to have him killing folk.

Also it makes it tricky to have recurring villains if he can just shoot The Joker or whoever in the face at the end of the story

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Here's one of those video essays about the no killing rule. www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1FGxb2YlnY

colacentral

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2018, 07:25:04 PM
At what point did not murdering people become both impractical and impossible?

Probably like me when I'm finding five spiders in each room of the house and spider nests everywhere. That's it, sorry, I don't like to do it but the hoover's coming out.