Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:29:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad Times at the El Royale

Started by TrenterPercenter, October 13, 2018, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

So saw this on the basis that I will watch pretty much anything with Jeff Bridges in it.

It's a decent if predictable character caper in which we steadily learn about each of the protagonists stories (that are pretty formulaic in the end old man, pretty women, black woman, kindof cop, weird nerd, beach bum dude) and then go "aaaaaaah that is why that thing happened then". 

It is definitely fun (for an hr), slick and Bridges does his excellent doddering old man shtick.  Some stylish elements seem a little forced (see singing and banging) and as I was watching I thought to myself......"this reminds me of cabin in the woods" (which it turns out it is the same team).  Similar to CITW is goes bonkers at the end, and whilst CITW doesn't suffer overly much for this, this film does and seems overly busy, rushed and as if they didn't know how to end the film so threw a load of things in hoping something would stick.  The change of pace is just a little too awkward and there is a real sense of the film being sidelined in favour of gratuitous shots of Hemsworth's (impressive you have to admit) pecs and abs.

Not as good as Blindspotting which has now dropped off the cinema, which is a real shame.

3/5 worth the admission but with a sprinkling of meh.

Johnny Yesno

THIS DUNCE CHECKS OUT (OF THE HOTEL)