Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Casualty

Started by kalowski, October 13, 2018, 09:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Yes, that did happen. Sharon Gless (Christine Cagney) used a drill with a 9" bit to release the pressure from the skull of a old, drunk man after sterilising a blade with vodka.

Bazooka

Is Charlie still walking around not doing anything?

kalowski

I don't know. I came down from talking to my daughter and there was Cagney, delivering the line: "Get me a first aid kit...and a drill. Oh, and get me a bottle of vodka, too."

BlodwynPig

Horrible little show. Holby fucks it

Attila

I love Casualty. I was introduced to it in the 90s by a Scottish auntie who told me it was a comedy.

There was a character a few years back called Guppy who augured his way into someone's head with a hand drill, too. He did it whilst trapped in a basement of a brothel where the ceiling had collapsed because a coachful of asbo deliquients had crashed into it when their driver got distracted by pensions who were stood around protesting the brothel. Still not as good as the one where Simon McCorkindale has to talk down a young girl from the roof of hospital, but she's stuck there literally because she's used a nail gun to attached herself to the side of the building. I have these & and many more on DVR somewhere cos Mr Attila would record them and mail me a packet of them every month.

Once you notice Charlie/Derek Thompson is reaching all of his lines off cue cards you can't unsee it.

Holby's been playing the long game over the past 9 months with Paul McGann acting rings round the other actors as a mad scientist/surgeon (whom I like to think is his Matthew Harris character from Paper Mask.

I do'nt get a chance/ have much interest in too much television stuff, a few things here and there, but Casualty/Holby are my crack.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Attila on October 13, 2018, 11:11:58 PM
but Casualty/Holby are my crack.

Haha, mine too.  It used to be fun watching the scenes at the start and guessing what the accident would be but so many of the storylines are character-based now that there's less opportunities for that.

Yes the drill thing was ridiculous.  It went really slowly like a proper medical drill does, as opposed to a proper black and decker which would go wheeeeeeee whoops you've just drilled right through his head.

As for Holby, I'm wondering how long they're going to drag out the Dr Death storyline.  Just Googled.  He's on a  12-month contract that ends in early December so it's not long to go now.

MuteBanana

Holby is the Hollyoaks of medical soap. Always with the fancy episodes and the specials and the flashbacks.

Enjoyed tonights Casualty for its amusement. That Dylan though is such an unsympathetic arsehole.

Attila

Sunday mornings are my Casualty time, so am about to have breakfast, then fire up iPlayer.

So true about the characters dominating the mishaps. Nothing better than a Casualty moment of misdirection: the gold standard for me is an episode from years back:

Couple in lovely renovated farmhouse kitchen, cooking breakfast, arguing.

Shot of couple arguing.

Shot of bacon sizzling in pan

Shot of distracted shouty man

Shot of sizzling bacon

Shot of grumpy arguing woman

Close up shot of unattended bacon sizzling in pan

Quarreling couple

Dog comes in, gets underfoot

Sizzle sizzle

Argue argue

Super close up of bacon frying

then....

Couple's 7 year old son comes into the kitchen and shoots dad with the shotgun he found in the barn.

Come on Casualty, get back to the 'moments.'

ETA -- Also, Casualty, get rid of the musical score that's suddenly popped up in the middle of episodes with this new series. Kthxby

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on October 13, 2018, 09:25:54 PM
Yes, that did happen. Sharon Gless (Christine Cagney) used a drill with a 9" bit to release the pressure from the skull of a old, drunk man after sterilising a blade with vodka.
PS. I meant 9mm, but love the idea of Cagney using a 9" industrial drill bit, more commonly used when building bridges, to do a bit of trepanning.

Attila

Quote from: kalowski on October 14, 2018, 09:54:45 AM
PS. I meant 9mm, but love the idea of Cagney using a 9" industrial drill bit, more commonly used when building bridges, to do a bit of trepanning.

Ah, the old Stonehenge miscommunication.

9mm, 9" -- still made me sit up and  go, 'That's a big-assed bit.'

Also they were going to head off to the airport with Dylan without any care plans for Dervla?

So when is Rash going to man up and admit he's a virgin? He's a poor man's Guppy.

greencalx

Yeah I always hate it when one of the patients comes back in a later episode. The whole idea is you're not supposed to give a shit about them.

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: Attila on October 13, 2018, 11:11:58 PM
Once you notice Charlie/Derek Thompson is reaching all of his lines off cue cards you can't unsee it.

" It was revealed in July 2017, that Thompson was the BBC's highest-paid actor, earning between £350,000 and £400,000 over the last financial year."