Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photoshop Cup Comp?

Started by Pythov, February 22, 2004, 10:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythov

Any interest in this?

A One shot Photoshop Tourney Knockout.

I saw the last CaB Tennis thing was perhaps to big to work, so I thought.

How about a one shot tourney, where the Vws show there interest and get split into seeding/groups...

The start would involve an image around a theme, people would go head to head through rounds.

Only one attempt allowed.

All Images would be sent to a third party, who would not display the images till both were entered.

Polling to take place for 24 hours after apredetermined date for all the images.

A 24hour limit set on each round, and anyone not submitting in the time period - excluded..

Following rounds to follow previous Image tourneys (using image from a previous attempt, but maybe only those of the victors from each round?).

Ahh, then again this might just be shite, sorry to waste your time.

mr rou-rou

like drawing top trumps cards.

Sure I'll play depending on the theme, but I won't know if I'll play until you pick the theme,

JJJJH

fanny splendid

An obvious theme could be the round in which you are playing.

Ist round theme: The number one, or fifteen funny piss mongs.
2nd round theme: et c.

Just imagine...

Or mong your opponent's verbwhore name?

JJJJH

Or how about the combatants deciding the topic for the other?

mr rou-rou

or a Clive Anderson figure giving out odd things, like Who's Mong is it Anyways,

an improv style mong game, teams maybe, oh i dunno

@ssmaster

Oh god no, not another one of these things. I'm sorry to be negetive but you will get everyone wanting to join in but after a couple of weeks people will lose interest, the rules will be questioned etc and you will spend half the time chasing people to do their mongs and the forum will be flooded with these threads.

Unless there is one person taking charge of the competiton and making sure  the rules are clearly defined and there is no deviation from them it won't work.

Ok I know I'm being a miserable bastard but after the last photoshop comp farce I think it needed to be said.

fanny splendid

No, you're right. Someone needs to be in charge. Last year's two month marathon was too much (especially seeing that i didn't win).

Whoever is in charge needs to be ruthless.

@ssmaster

plus there needs to be a time scale on how long you must do an image in.

mr rou-rou

Funky Gibbon

I'm probably in if it goes ahead. How about a simple one shot knockout contest based on random words, like this site spits out.

Please do it, I must have my revenge on Abbie.

ccab

Assmaster, you lolling big cynic. I'm all in favour of some kind of excitement on the boards to wake it from this endless coma it's been in since the trauma of The Move. It's been dead. The only good thread was the nostalgia thread - even the timeless concept behind mando fell flat on its deflated rear parts. Mong this & mong that threads are grand - but repetitive, and every now & then you've just got to have some super extravaganza to shake it up.

I agree about photoshop tennis though. That isn't the right tonic. A bit more time needs to pass before the idea's appetising again.

How about this.

Does anyone remember playing jalopy at school? One person would stand in the middle of a rectangle. Everyone else would have to run through the rectangle back and forth in a crowd and the one in the middle would try to push people out of the sides - anyone he managed to shift would join him - and the winner was the last man still running.

What about a photoshop jalopy? Maybe something along the lines of one non-photoshopper being the man in the middle. Everyone else then takes it in turns to make a mong - a kind of rolling response to the last mong - and at the end of the first round the man in the middle would choose to eliminate one person they felt to be the weakest. The elimianted man gets to join the man in the middle choosing who gets knocked out next time - maybe choosing a man each & so on - until 4 or 5 rounds have passed & there's only one man left.

The thing about this idea is it's completely elastic. No-one can argue about rules - because the men in the middle have the final say. It's just a suggestion - but it wouldn't last more than a week or two, wouldn't spill over into other threads and  could include absolutely everyone.

Any takers?

wasp_f15ting

I am in for whatever is chosen....

hmm dont these things start like spring/summer time? or will this be like an austrailian open type jobby?

ccab

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"or will this be like an austrailian open type jobby?

It'd be much better if it was more like the Rio carnival..

wasp_f15ting

sweet I am game for whatever...  I have dibs on the fairy wings!

Hairy Chin

I'll volunteer for ruthless man in the middle if nobody better wants to do it.

Just make sure someone PM's me the day before the competition starts so I remember to be nasty and all that.

Cerys

ccab

Let's see how everyone takes to it tomorrow.

If anyone likes the jalopy idea, one way of getting around the minefield of working out who's turn it is would be something like this:

anyone ready to have a go adds a post to the thread claiming their turn - no-one else could then steal their turn. Maybe put a 2 or 3 hour limit on it from the moment of posting this. So there'd be no real order of play - people could post when they had the time & the thing could still run smoothly with no big delays & without dragging on for ages.

For instance - I haven't posted in a particular round - I have time to mong right now - so I go to the thread & post "I'm next!" it's now my turn to answer the last mong. If I haven't finished in so many hours, I get disqualified & someone else can take it up.

Apart from this, it would be totally ruleless & I reckon played like this it would be over well within a fortnight..

but see what you all think tomorrow.

Jet Set Willy

I am up for it, as long as it's finished by March the 18th.

Purple Tentacle

mook

Dr David V

I can't say I fully understand the rules, but what the hey, it should give me a bit of practice before my debut entry into the Tennis tournament. Yeah, put me down on the list.

Spaced Cadet

monkhouse terror

I suppose I am aswell if nobody minds, not sure what all the rules are though. That's probably because I'm too lazy to read them and when I realised it was a competition I got all excited and went straight to the reply button. I bet you've actually fooled me into being someones gimp for a week again haven't you?

Pythov

If photo-jalopy seems to be in favour then it is just a matter of simple rules, timings, and perhaps a starting theme.

Heres an idea, from what has been posted so far.

photo-jalopy.

1. One non-monger starts in the middle.

2. Only posters who reply to the Starting thread are in the competition i.e. they post an image in the first thread of competition.

3. Only one image per round allowed.

4. The original Non-Monger selects Two Mongers to be pushed out (eliminated from the comp).

5.After elimination the ex mongers join the Non-monger as judges.

6.After one day, the non-mongers decide on a new starting theme or image.

7.Mongers still left in the comp have say 2 days to submit their next images (based on the new theme).

8. The enlarged set of mong judges decide on which two of the new image posters to evict.  Evisted posters join the judgement panel.

9. Repeat from step 6. until a winner emerges. Im the event that two Posters are left, a playoff thingy happens.

Notes.  Judges who fail to vote before time are disqualified for that rounds voting.
Posters who fail to post on time are eliminated, and join the judges.  
If the amount of posters who fail to create an image, before the cut off time is 2 or more, then all are eliminated and then join the judges.

How does this sound (apart from perhaps overcontrived?).

ccab

Pythov - you beat me to it! - I was just making this -

I've tried to deal with every eventuality to avoid punch-ups later. But the basics are totally simple. Pythov, I've differed from you over what's being monged. I don't think it's a good idea to give everyone 2 days and then have a rush of entries - & the inevitable - "ooh can't make it because of work etc - can i have an extension?" The way I've suggested always monging the last mong means there'll be a steady flow & the first round will finish maybe inside 2 days. Also if you give every round 2 days, it could go on for ages which usually kills the interest int hese things.

Also if everyone's monging a set image, it's too much like art-class. Only monging the last posted mong will give it a nice sense of rhythm baby, & it's also more grown-up.

What do you think?

Cerys

Isn't two or three hours a bit too short a time?

ccab

QuoteIsn't two or three hours a bit too short a time?

Only if it spills over onto the cistine chapel's ceiling. Seriously though, that's just a rough figure - if longer's better, longer it is!

Cerys

I usually spend well over that on stuff.  If that was the only niggle, I wouldn't have mentioned it; but it occurred to me that three hours is a bit tight for people who log in from work.  How about six?  Gives scope for four shots a day.

TOCMFIC

I fully expect to be the first out, but...

I'm in! I need a good kick up the rear to get my monging boots on again so this will be perfect.

Do bear in mind I'm seven timezones behind you people:) So any time limits or anything may be kinda fucked for me, but what the hell, I'll give it a go.