Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daughters (Ipecac Records) [noise rock] [new music]

Started by alan nagsworth, October 16, 2018, 06:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Fuckin' love me a bit of Daughters. Across their three albums, they gradually refined their sound from spazzy grind-infused hostility to a surly, muscular chug that puts them somewhere in my estimate between The Locust and Shellac. I became a fan some years back when I got into stuff like The Locust, An Albatross and the like, but the later stuff never clicked with me as much. In the last year or so, however, I've come back to them and realised that this is by far their best material. They really are a force to be reckoned with.

From their first album Canada Songs, here's Jones From Indiana.

From their second album Hell Songs, here's Recorded Inside a Pyramid.

From their third self-titled album, here's the fucking brilliant The Hit.

Good stuff, right? So, imagine my joy when, after seven years out of the studio, it was recently announced that on October 26th, Ipecac Records be releasing their fourth album, You Won't Get What You Want. What's even more thrilling is that, contrary to the title, I'm getting exactly what I want: another expansion of the Daughters sound. The screeching, motorik amble is still here in abundance, but it seems more focused, sharper, and at times downright dramatic. Fucks sake, I'm so excited about this!

There's three tracks out so far, check 'em out!

Long Road, No Turns

Satan in the Wait

The Reason They Hate Me

DAUGHTERS!

non capisco

This shit is wall to wall aces and I can't wait to see them play in...jesus christ...April.

alan nagsworth

The album has leaked apparently. Some Facebook music group I'm in is going apeshit calling it noise rock album of the year. They're probably right.

jobotic

At this point I have nothing to say as i have heard them and am not in position right now to listen to thelinks. But I will..so cheers!

jobotic

Was quite on board until the singing then it went all a bit blokes with their tops off. Loved that once but not no more. I tried.

kngen

Quote from: WikipediaMarshall has credited Andy Low of Robotic Empire for reuniting Daughters, while Marshall and Sadler were not speaking to each other Low told them both that one had wanted to see the other one, however neither had expressed any feeling to Low about wanting to see each other, not knowing this they had both reluctantly agreed to have dinner together one night. They found out during the dinner that Low had tricked them to get them to talk to each other once again.[6] The situation was described by Marshall, "We sat down and had dinner and within 15 minutes we started talking about plans. We just needed to be in the same room I guess," he goes on to say "It felt that enough time had gone by that any issues that Nick and I had had been not necessarily forgotten but they didn't seem that important anymore."

Mate of mine, is Andy. I'll pass on your profuse thanks.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: kngen on October 18, 2018, 05:19:56 PM
Mate of mine, is Andy. I'll pass on your profuse thanks.

This is amazing, please do pass those thanks on!! :D

Quote from: jobotic on October 18, 2018, 01:42:17 PM
Was quite on board until the singing then it went all a bit blokes with their tops off. Loved that once but not no more. I tried.

Did you try listening with your top off at least?

jobotic

the ouch cube

Then taking their tops off is kind of appropriate. Daughters' music conjures images of some ghastly supernatural pervert rubbing himself all over you at midnight.

Or BOB from Twin Peaks prowling around in the dark, leering in mirrors.

The new stuff sounds oddly like Six Finger Satellite with Danzig singing

jobotic

I'm knocking me not them. You should have seen me back in the day top undone, not off, all blood down my front at a Bitch Magnet gig.

Anyway, kids'll be up at six. Night!

alan nagsworth

Okay, I've got a bit of time to address this album now. It is almost certainly going to be the best thing I've heard all year; I reckon it'll knock SOPHIE off my "album of the year" pick.

"You Won't Get What You Want" is a horrifying dirge, a descent into hell, a full-on aural assault that pummels the listener with a stampede anxious, catatonic blows. It's such an intense and brutal experience that honestly, at times it feels like it's pulling me apart. It's a stroke of artistic brilliance and the band's finest work by a country mile. If there's any sort of narrative at play here, it's basically a fucking horror film. Visceral and utterly terrifying.

In its slower moments such as Satan in the Wait and Less Sex, there is a stark, bloody romanticism at play which harkens Nick Cave at his darkest and most foreboding. It's poetic and haunting. At its most intense, such as The Lords Song and the fucking unforgiving album closer Guest House, it is white-hot and punishing quite unlike anything I have heard before. Daughters' searing, piercing guitar tones are more ferocious than they've ever been. The last minute of "The Lords Song" is like the critical Arwing damage sound from Lylat Wars, over and over.

The Needle Drop rightfully gave this fucker a light 10 this week, and it's being mentioned in the same breath as other titans of noise such as This Heat and Swans. It is a masterstroke. I love it to pieces.

Clownbaby

Quote from: the ouch cube on October 19, 2018, 09:23:39 PM
Then taking their tops off is kind of appropriate. Daughters' music conjures images of some ghastly supernatural pervert rubbing himself all over you at midnight.

Or BOB from Twin Peaks prowling around in the dark, leering in mirrors.

The new stuff sounds oddly like Six Finger Satellite with Danzig singing

I'm not too familiar with Daughters but your description sounds right up my alley

Dirty Boy

Never heard them, but this sounds like my thing as well, so thanks for the write up. Always looking for intense new music.

Don't have time to start a thread, but the new Arabrot record is some prime noise rock also.

Look Daggers

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 03, 2018, 01:16:38 PM
Never heard them, but this sounds like my thing as well, so thanks for the write up. Always looking for intense new music.

Don't have time to start a thread, but the new Arabrot record is some prime noise rock also.

Look Daggers

Oh!! Kjetil's voice is back on form, fucking hell! I was worried that after his throat cancer, it wouldn't recover. I found "The Gospel" disappointing as a result, and I was wary about this album. Thanks for reminding me, as The Quietus have also been raving about it, and I am really enjoying this song.

I've long been a fan of them, since discovering Solar Anus, which I adore. The dude's mental vocal range and the band's use of industrial noise on that album in particular is brilliant. Absolutely love this creepy acoustic version of Holes/Fake Dimitri with Kjetil pushing the guitarist down some corridors in a wheelchair as he sings it.

I just remembered also that the documentary "Cocks and Crosses" was made freely available yesterday, so I'm gonna watch it right fuckin' now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03RRrwmT4_E

alan nagsworth

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 03, 2018, 01:27:15 PM
I just remembered also that the documentary "Cocks and Crosses" was made freely available yesterday, so I'm gonna watch it right fuckin' now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03RRrwmT4_E

Okay yeah, this film is great. Kjetil's resilience, the passion for his art and the love that he shares with his wife are truly inspirational. I have another level of respect for him and his music after that.

buttgammon

This new album is fantastic, thanks for mentioning them!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: buttgammon on November 04, 2018, 07:43:18 PM
This new album is fantastic, thanks for mentioning them!

Yer welcome!

I have had three friends on separate occasions tell me that they've not been able to properly get into this yet as they haven't found themselves in the mood to actually digest it, such a snarling mad bastard of an album that it is. I can totally sympathise, too: I was on the tube the other morning listening to it whilst reading quite a lengthy article and I had to turn the thing off, it was a sensory overload. Couldn't hack it. Barely into the second hour of the day, hurtling through the underground on a busy train, absorbing a load of information and this fucker full-on assaulting my ears. No ta.

Clownbaby

I think this keeps sounding like a much, much louder version of Spiderland by Slint. There's a similar sort of repetition and aloof storytelling/yelling thing going on that's making me think of that. I like music that has a genuine sense of panic and evil and sinisterness and this has that in spades, but I'm totally underwhelmed by the guy's voice, and that's where it falls apart for me. There's a sexiness to the music which I'm not feeling in the vocals. And reading multiple reviews tells me that nobody else seems to have this opinion on the voice.

Before giving it a listen I'd watched Needledrop's review and he mentions the singing a lot as foreboding, deranged etc. and seemed really excited about the vocals so maybe I had something different in mind before I went into the album. I couldn't help thinking the whole time that each song's instrumental side is so intensely monstrous and threatening and alien and then you've got a fairly average, ordinary sounding man yelping in the mix, with some lyrics that would be successfully disquieting if the singing/yelling was more convincing. Still give it a decent 7 though. I really wanted to like it more cause on paper it seemed like something I would love, but if I'm not taken with the voice, I'm not taken with the band.

(Just to clarify I am not saying I think the singing is shite, it's just not for me and didn't have the effect on me that I seems to have had on most people. It's like the Babadook of singing)

Clownbaby

Satan In The wait is musically gorgeous. That might be my favourite track.

Pingers

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 05, 2018, 09:34:25 AM
I think this keeps sounding like a much, much louder version of Spiderland by Slint. There's a similar sort of repetition and aloof storytelling/yelling thing going on that's making me think of that. I like music that has a genuine sense of panic and evil and sinisterness and this has that in spades, but I'm totally underwhelmed by the guy's voice, and that's where it falls apart for me. There's a sexiness to the music which I'm not feeling in the vocals. And reading multiple reviews tells me that nobody else seems to have this opinion on the voice.

Before giving it a listen I'd watched Needledrop's review and he mentions the singing a lot as foreboding, deranged etc. and seemed really excited about the vocals so maybe I had something different in mind before I went into the album. I couldn't help thinking the whole time that each song's instrumental side is so intensely monstrous and threatening and alien and then you've got a fairly average, ordinary sounding man yelping in the mix, with some lyrics that would be successfully disquieting if the singing/yelling was more convincing. Still give it a decent 7 though. I really wanted to like it more cause on paper it seemed like something I would love, but if I'm not taken with the voice, I'm not taken with the band.

(Just to clarify I am not saying I think the singing is shite, it's just not for me and didn't have the effect on me that I seems to have had on most people. It's like the Babadook of singing)

Yeah, I agree with this. Lots to like in the music, indifferent vocals. It's like they don't want to go the whole instrumental hog but with that unholy racket going on you need a voice that really stands out, and his ain't it.

alan nagsworth

Vocals naysayers: I don't agree with you, but I can help you: Go and listen to their previous two albums, "Daughters" and "Hell Songs". The vocals on those two albums are a lot more obviously deranged and unhinged.

The thing with Daughters and the hype this album is receiving is that, for the fans, there seems to be some sort of ongoing narrative in the band's career. The most obvious point is that the anger in their sound has gradually shifted from some external rage that finds the songs clawing at their surroundings into something that sounds more like an internal conflict. Before, it was free to lash out at the world around it, but now, it feels like more of a war against ones own mental wellbeing, with equal time spent quietly brooding and seething, and then smashing itself in the face with a hammer. This is amplified by the fact that the band has been on an almost decade-long hiatus prior to this album, and even though it's now less spasmodic and more focused, it sounds more conflicted and ugly than ever. "YWGWYW" is nowhere near as constantly mental as their previous work, but when it hits, it hits harder than anything that's preceded it.

So, with that in mind, I'd recommend going back and having a crack at the rest of their discography. In fact, just start from the debut album "Canada Songs". The first three albums clock up a total of 61 minutes so it's not exactly a slog!

Clownbaby

I had given their past albums a listen once I'd took in the new one. Not a slight on the guy's vocal commitment or anything, I just don't think it's my cup of tea at all. Easy to ignore when I like the rest of the music so much though.

alan nagsworth

They're back for more!!

If you missed them playing recently, the gang return to shock and intimidate three audiences this autumn.

Oct 31: London, Islington Assembly Hall
Nov 1: Liverpool, Arts Club
Nov 2: Dublin, The Grand Social

Trust me, this band is not to be missed if you like any sort of noisy, relentless, uncompromising and downright nasty music on a stage. Tickets are on sale this Friday. No I am not their manager

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

boki

boki

sevendaughters

I like Daughters but I think Bad Breeding do what they do just a touch better.

non capisco

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 09, 2019, 07:19:50 PM
I like Daughters but I think Bad Breeding do what they do just a touch better.

I've seen both play incendiary sets but Daughters edge it live for me purely because I've seldom seen a band with a more infernal, malevolent stage prescence. That fucking guitarist with his massive lolling cowlike tongue is like something out of Heironymous Bosch's cheese dreams.