Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fortnite cheater getting sued

Started by Barry Admin, October 16, 2018, 10:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45876864

Yeoooo, great stuff, fuck all cheaters.  It's beyond me why more companies don't take action like this. They seem to see it as free advertising or I guess are afraid of bad PR, so let eg PoGo cheaters make money by showing off their cheating in multiplayer games. I'm not sure there's any excuse for it, and I don't think cheating should be tolerated at all. Cheaters are scum.

Sin Agog

"Nobody likes a cheater."

I do.  His name's Mark. So now people have to stop saying that phrase.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If it's affecting multiplayer and the cunt is trying to get rich then yeah sue the little shit.

In a case where it was simply not impeding anyone else's enjoyment of a game I see no moral issue. Games should be modded, cheated, repurposed, and whatever limits explored and reforged. If you as a developer have a problem with that, find a better way to secure your property.

Twed

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 16, 2018, 10:35:12 PM
In a case where it was simply not impeding anyone else's enjoyment of a game I see no moral issue.
What case is that, in a game where you are always competing against other players?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Twed on October 16, 2018, 10:44:45 PM
What case is that, in a game where you are always competing against other players?

I doubt it would make much of a difference in a cheaters-only room.

(Didn't some wily dev once punish cheaters by doing just that, making it so they could only compete against other named and shamed cheaters?)

bgmnts

People are behind video game cheaters getting sued? In real life?

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on October 16, 2018, 10:58:15 PM
People are behind video game cheaters getting sued? In real life?
Please read the article

Thursday

It does seem extreme, but since it's ruining something other people enjoy and

"Defendant Lucas not only cheats, he also promotes, advertises, and sells software that enables those who use it to cheat," the document states.

He's essentially profiting from someone's else's game, while turning other people off it and thus costing the company money. You can certainly say they have a case.

bgmnts

I did. But its not the cheating part thats a criminal offence, its the hacking and aelling of software right? Everyone cheats and exploits the game at some point!

Except me.

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on October 16, 2018, 11:04:23 PM
I did. But its not the cheating part thats a criminal offence, its the hacking and aelling of software right?
I think so. Although I bet it will be a hell of a case. Some people make a legitimate living from exploit writing for software and services. I think it comes down to "is it sold with the knowledge that it will be used to do harm?".

Lemming

Working to take down cheating software and somehow legally ban the creators of the software from doing it again? Sure.

Suing people for making cheating software? Hmm.

Raiding people's houses for making cheats? Uhhh...?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45891126

Twed

I don't agree with companies being able to obtain search orders, but that is not a raid. Raids are extremely dangerous, wrong things that kill a lot of innocent people and we should be clear about what they are.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Lemming on October 18, 2018, 04:33:34 PM
Working to take down cheating software and somehow legally ban the creators of the software from doing it again? Sure.

Suing people for making cheating software? Hmm.

Raiding people's houses for making cheats? Uhhh...?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45891126

Thats slightly different though, cheaters on GTA online are effectively stealing from the company by generating cash using cheats. Using a cheat to give you virtual cash instead of buying shark cards with real cash is a bit different to using an aimbot

Barry Admin

I just fucking hate cheaters in general. You get them in PoGo and Ingress, which are games all about getting off your ass and making an effort. You have to actually travel, often incurring costs along the way, and then some bell will say "yeah, fuck your time, effort and money" and spoof or exploit to "win." 

Like I just don't get the mentality of why that's rewarding to these dirty cunts. I make a big effort to do stuff, and that's the reward for me. Cheating would totally rob me of any sense of achievement or satisfaction.

BeardFaceMan

Some people like playing games, some people like winning games. I'm glad I'm in the former camp because being so obsessed with winning you'd pay for aimbot software sounds fucking miserable. I remember being headshotted by an engineer with his pistol when he was so far across the map i couldn't even see him back when Team Fortress 2 came out, I just dont even know what youd get out of playing that way, other than to spoil other people's fun.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 19, 2018, 01:39:15 PM
Some people like playing games, some people like winning games. I'm glad I'm in the former camp because being so obsessed with winning you'd pay for aimbot software sounds fucking miserable. I remember being headshotted by an engineer with his pistol when he was so far across the map i couldn't even see him back when Team Fortress 2 came out, I just dont even know what youd get out of playing that way, other than to spoil other people's fun.

This is it. There's a sizeable portion of human beings who gain enjoyment from spoiling other people's fun. Of course, there's the people for whom winning, no matter how, is the most important aspect of playing, but to quote the great poet Alfred Pennyworth "some people just wanna watch the world burn".

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 19, 2018, 01:39:15 PM

Did I hear correctly that rich gamers are able to purchase very expensive weaponry and H bombs so they can enter into multiplay wargames and just nuke all the players just for shits and giggles?