Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:56:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sitting through a film your friends are loving but you fucking hate

Started by madhair60, October 17, 2018, 11:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Pacific Rim and Spider-Man: Homecoming. Friends buzzing, enthusiastically talking about them. Me, desolate, depressed, having fucking hated them both. The worst feeling in the world. Worse than any other feeling that has ever or could ever exist so don't even fucking bother arguing.

Have you ever experienced this?

Endicott

When I met my friends at a two screen cinema, moderately excited to see film A (although now I forget what the fuck that was) and they said they wanted to see film B - Blame It On Rio, which they then proceeded to persuade me to pay to see with my own money. Possibly Michael Caine's worst ever film, ever.

Thomas

Don't think so but my friend recently showed me a ten minute Dragon Ball "Zee" parody despite my never having seen Dragon Ball "Zee". I was standing at the time so technically I stood through that.

Endicott

I've just realised that's not quite the same as your experience, madhair60, because I'd never seen Blame It On Rio before, I just intuitively new I'd hate it. Well it's close enough I reckon.

samadriel

A girl subjected me to 'Kung Pow: Enter the Fist' once.  Brutal.  It indirectly put me off 'Mr Show' for a long time, until I realised Bob Odenkirk wasn't Steve Oedekerk.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's always the opposite experience for me. My friends sit there all stony faced, or looking at their phones, while I try to interest them in a film I know they'd like if they gave it a chance.

It hurts more than standing on a plug made of angry hornets.

Brundle-Fly

Napoleon Dynamite (2004). This should've ticked my boxes as I like a bit of nerdy U.S. low-budget comedy but it left me stone(r) cold. It doesn't help if the friends have already seen it and laughing just that little bit too hard. Maybe that was why I didn't dig it?

Same thing happened with The Big Lebowski, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and even Clerks. Really feel I need to see all these films again without grinning mates constantly turning around to check if you're enjoying it enough.

samadriel

Oh yeah, I had a godawful bore of an acquaintance in highschool who quoted 'Big Lebowski' non-stop.  Really put me off it -- I could tell it was a pretty good movie, but the association was really ugly.

Dannyhood91

Picture This starring Ashley Tisdale in 2008. The most nothing film I've ever seen

Brundle-Fly

An old friend of mine had just started seeing this young woman and for a fortnight it was all going swimmingly until she made such a big thing about watching her favourite film Wings Of Desire (1987). He said the pressure building up to the cosy Saturday night viewing was like he was attending the film premiere of her screen debut. Scented candles, scatter cushions and a bottle of wine to be opened after the movie only.

Half an hour into the film, he made the mistake of yawning and being caught surreptitiously glancing at the sports page on the back of newspaper lying on the coffee table and that was it. TV switched off immediately, door slammed and girlfriend storming out the flat.

She dumped him later that night explaining she could never go out with somebody so disrespectful to her and a man who could not fall in love with Wings Of Desire from the off. FFS.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 17, 2018, 01:58:53 PM
An old friend of mine had just started seeing this young woman and for a fortnight it was all going swimmingly until she made such a big thing about watching her favourite film Wings Of Desire (1987). He said the pressure building up to the cosy Saturday night viewing was like he was attending the film premiere of her screen debut. Scented candles, scatter cushions and a bottle of wine to be opened after the movie only.

Half an hour into the film, he made the mistake of yawning and being caught surreptitiously glancing at the sports page on the back of newspaper lying on the coffee table and that was it. TV switched off immediately, door slammed and girlfriend storming out the flat.

She dumped him later that night explaining she could never go out with somebody so disrespectful to her and a man who could not fall in love with Angels Of Desire from the off. FFS.

Blokes definitely do this kind of shit to wimmen more than the other way round.  Think there was even a scene in that recent Kumail Nanjiani movie The Big Sick like that.  It is stupidly silly being that emotionally invested in a piece of pop culture that you'll let it sour a whole relationship for you- like people aren't already trying to find myriad reasons to write people off- but unfortunately I can relate to that instinct way too much.  Making a poor well-bred girl watch some unsettling Jodorowsky thing whilst vivisecting them with your eyes every second of the run-time.  We should try not to do that.

SteveDave

I was forced to leave the room by an ex-girlfriend due my continued and loud as fuck laughing at "Diana". She was really crying at the end too. I would've watched it through to the end. No I'll never know what happened. 

greenman

The original Pacific Rim actually stands out as a tolerable modern blockbuster for me to watch with people who might otherwise try to say subject me to Transformers, watching the sequel with such a person was rather painful though.

These days actually watching films with others helps to draw me away of just consuming artier cinema, watched Big Trouble In Little China and The Thing back to back with the same friend last week.

Icehaven

All the Lord of the Rings films came out during and just after I was at Uni so it became a bit of a tradition for a group of us that were back in the hometown for Christmas to go and see that year's together. I went as I wanted to see friends I didn't see much of the rest of the year (although sitting in a darkened cinema for 4 hours isn't exactly the most sociable activity) but my god was I bored (of the rings.) And as if that wasn't bad enough we then had to talk about it for even more hours afterwards, not that I had much to contribute as I'd slept through the quiet bits and mostly looked at the scenery through the noisier parts. 

mothman

I can't really recall this ever happening to me, but then I don't have friends anymore. Only analogous occasion I can think of was going to a multiplex and we were either going to watch Toys or Sneakers. I wanted Toys, everybody else voted Sneakers, so that was that. Irony is, Sneakers is still something I can rewatch while I eventually saw Toys, once, never bothered again.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 17, 2018, 02:26:49 PM
Blokes definitely do this kind of shit to wimmen more than the other way round.  Think there was even a scene in that recent Kumail Nanjiani movie The Big Sick like that.  It is stupidly silly being that emotionally invested in a piece of pop culture that you'll let it sour a whole relationship for you- like people aren't already trying to find myriad reasons to write people off- but unfortunately I can relate to that instinct way too much.  Making a poor well-bred girl watch some unsettling Jodorowsky thing whilst vivisecting them with your eyes every second of the run-time.  We should try not to do that.

Well, we as in blokes and both 'wimmin'/ well-bred women should all try not do that then?

We can all be nuts here.

Which I hope was your final point?

Sebastian Cobb

She dumped him later that night explaining she could never go out with somebody so disrespectful to her and a man who could not fall in love with Wings Of Desire from the off. FFS.

Hey, when I was at uni I remember going out for a smoke from the flat we were in with a couple of lasses, they were discussing some guy the pretentious one fancied. She said 'but, I don't know if I could go out with anyone who didn't like Leonard Cohen'.

I nearly choked on my cigarette.

Fambo Number Mive

Sounds like he had a lucky escape.

Icehaven

Sounds like she'd decided she wasn't that bothered and used the first pisspoor excuse she could think of. Mate of mine got dumped by someone he'd been seeing for a couple of months because he'd let slip that he'd "once been considering becoming a vicar" and the dumper was apparently unable to accept this. He was gutted but really believed this was the reason, and we couldn't work out if it was better or worse to break it to him that it was just a bullshit excuse. If Wings of Desire girl was into that bloke he could have put his foot through the screen and she'd have decided it was good that he challenged her.

olliebean

This happened to me with a piece of devised theatre about 20 years ago; I don't remember what it was called but I think it might have been by Frantic Assembly. I'd gone to see as one of a group of students from a devised theatre class I was taking. I found it simultaneously as boring as hell, and utterly depressing. Obviously I hated it, but almost as depressing was the class discussion the following week. The only person I'd spoken to at the theatre after the show had hated it as much as I did, but he wasn't at the following class, and it turned out everyone else thought it was brilliant. It was one of those moments of desolate alienation that I assume everyone has from time to time (for god's sake, tell me I'm right, or this could be another one...)

My most abiding memory of the show was an interminable scene in which (and this is all that happened in the scene) a man, wearing an ass's head but otherwise completely naked, crawled torturously and unbearably slowly from one side of the stage to the other.

(There was another piece that we saw as part of the course, that I thought was brilliant but everyone else, apparently including the director who we had a Q&A with afterwards, thought was just so-so; swings and roundabouts, I suppose.)

jobotic

Truly Madly Deeply with girlfriend and her friends at her shared house at uni. Fucking awful. She broke my heart shortly afterwards but no one died.

Never really liked Alan Rickman because of that.

samadriel

Quote from: olliebean on October 18, 2018, 08:30:40 PM
The only person I'd spoken to at the theatre after the show had hated it as much as I did, but he wasn't at the following class, and it turned out everyone else thought it was brilliant. It was one of those moments of desolate alienation that I assume everyone has from time to time (for god's sake, tell me I'm right, or this could be another one...)

I had that while discussing 'Life of Pi' in a class once.  God, what a load of arse.

nero

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 17, 2018, 11:00:44 PM
Well, we as in blokes and both 'wimmin'/ well-bred women should all try not do that then?

We can all be nuts here.

Hey! I'm a well bred wimmin who loves Jodorowsky.

I enthusiastically gave my boss the Big Lebowski (on video! Christ I'm an old wimmin now) and he handed it back to me the next day, confused.
No words were spoken.

garbed_attic

My friend Tim has put me through this a few times, bless him. Kick-Ass and Lost in Translation both immediately come to mind. I made him watch Švankmajer's Faust back in sixth form though and it really creeped him out so maybe it's all just been punishment for that.

Icehaven

Quote from: nero on October 19, 2018, 12:15:58 PM
Hey! I'm a well bred wimmin who loves Jodorowsky.

I enthusiastically gave my boss the Big Lebowski (on video! Christ I'm an old wimmin now) and he handed it back to me the next day, confused.
No words were spoken.

Exactly what happened to me when an old colleague was asking for film recommendations for the weekend and I suggested Rubber (2010). Next time she saw me she actually said ''What is wrong with you??''

Sin Agog

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 17, 2018, 11:00:44 PM

We can all be nuts here.

Yikes.  Didn't see that disappointed schoolmaam edit.  I reckon the great online gender wars of recent years must have left you with some PTSD.  Wasn't trying to go there.  I just happen to have witnessed more blokes clinging onto their cultural obsessions until they draw blood than the other way round is all.  I definitely do it.*  It's why I've stopped making almost any cultural allusions with anyone I don't know really well.  That blank stare you get after you name-drop something close to your heart is too painful.  Kids have it right, making fifty new friends at Go Bananas simply based on the common denominator that they're also kids.

Quote from: gout_pony on October 19, 2018, 12:42:02 PM
My friend Tim has put me through this a few times, bless him. Kick-Ass and Lost in Translation both immediately come to mind. I made him watch Švankmajer's Faust back in sixth form though and it really creeped him out so maybe it's all just been punishment for that.

*For example I did exactly this ^ to a mate called Dave as well!   Not even Alice, either, but Faust.  I think it's easiy to forget there's a road to a movie like that.  You can't just drop an unsuspecting friend in marionetteville.

Puce Moment

I have to say that I actually see her point. It's a wonderful film and sport is shit and boring. She is right to aspire to better.

Sin Agog

If Carl Jung's right, the partners who are best for us are everything we're not.  Together you make a whole.  Bet those two could have had a good innings together.  :( They could even have found some common ground watching that Wim Wenders film about the anxious goalkeeper.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on October 17, 2018, 05:44:42 PM
All the Lord of the Rings films came out during and just after I was at Uni so it became a bit of a tradition for a group of us that were back in the hometown for Christmas to go and see that year's together. I went as I wanted to see friends I didn't see much of the rest of the year (although sitting in a darkened cinema for 4 hours isn't exactly the most sociable activity) but my god was I bored (of the rings.) And as if that wasn't bad enough we then had to talk about it for even more hours afterwards, not that I had much to contribute as I'd slept through the quiet bits and mostly looked at the scenery through the noisier parts.

The hobbits should really look like small bears. That's what I loudly tell people watching the film.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 19, 2018, 03:45:54 PM
I have to say that I actually see her point. It's a wonderful film and sport is shit and boring. She is right to aspire to better.

Disliking a work of genius is basically a crime in my opinion.