Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:04:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deutchland 86

Started by Sebastian Cobb, October 17, 2018, 01:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

On a whim I googled this to see if there's any news. Looks like it's going to start airing on the US AMC sister station Sundance from the 25th.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/deutschland-86-trailer-sundance-tv.html

German trailer
https://youtu.be/RRCYQs2kSdc

I think channel 4 will air it early 2019, but fuck waiting for that.

imitationleather

I had been wondering over the years why they haven't been making more of this considering the crazy acclaim it got at the time. Didn't it get voted the best TV drama ever in some American poll? Absolute bananas, although in those sort of things it's always something that has just been on that wins. Like Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere being called the best comedy ever made for a month or so.

It was a show I really wanted to like as the concept appealed and I reckoned the setting was cool (I'm talking about Deutschland '83 here, not Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere). But I ultimately thought it was extremely hackneyed and predictable, you could see where the storylines were going from a mile off.

mothman

Looks purty. But will it still feel... what's the word... relevant? The first season had all the Cold War, Able Archer thing, very much capturing the zeitgeist. You sort of knew what was going on. But what were the Stasi up to in Africa in 1986? I don't know!

Pseudopath

Quote from: imitationleather on October 17, 2018, 05:48:27 PM
But I ultimately thought it was extremely hackneyed and predictable, you could see where the storylines were going from a mile off.

I thought exactly the same, but still thought it was cool as fuck and stunningly performed. Then again, my opinion is probably swayed by being in Berlin at the time of the much-fanfared RTL premiere and experiencing the gigantic backlash it received from national critics.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I'm just a sucker for Cold War period drama's.

I can appreciate some of you saying it was hackneyed, but it still seemed grittier and more interesting than The Americans I thought.