Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Crysis Series

Started by Malcy, October 18, 2018, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

I played the first one when it came out not knowing anything about the story. I wasn't that bothered about it because shooters aren't really my game but as soon as the aliens turned up I was hooked.

Played it again and again over the years and then in the past couple of months I've played 2 & 3. Finished 3 today. It's a really great story. I'm going to grab the novelisation of the second game and give it a read.

The original is available on XBox now as well. Seen a video earlier of a Crysis suit mod for GTAV and it looks brilliant.

Anyone else a fan?

biggytitbo

Yes, the first one is usually talked about in terms of the graphics but it's also a genuinely excellent FPS in its own right. 2 and 3 are worthy follow ups too, especially 2 which I think is probably the best balanced of the series overall. 3 felt qa bit insubstantial and short in comparison.

There is also Crysis Warhead which is a sort of variation on the first game told through a different character's eyes.

Malcy

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 18, 2018, 08:24:14 PM
Yes, the first one is usually talked about in terms of the graphics but it's also a genuinely excellent FPS in its own right. 2 and 3 are worthy follow ups too, especially 2 which I think is probably the best balanced of the series overall. 3 felt qa bit insubstantial and short in comparison.

There is also Crysis Warhead which is a sort of variation on the first game told through a different character's eyes.

I was surprised to finish 3 as quickly as I did. Barely used the  bow weapon. Used all the ammo for it while fighting that boss thing after you fly around in the VTOL with Psycho. That was a brilliant bit. Psycho shouting 'Wankers' etc every time you shoot down an enemy ship.

Haven't played Warhead yet. It didn't appear in the Xbox game store with 1 so I'll get it for PC. There's an add on for 3 which takes you back to the islands from the first one but only for multiplayer I think. No missions.

Barry Admin

I don't think I ever finished the story for 3, but it was a great series, and I'm sad that 3 in particular didn't last longer online. It was very fast, CoD style gameplay, and it did it REALLY well. In fact, if memory serves, it then had a major influence on the CoD franchise in terms of its jet pack/cyber soldiers period.

If 3 comes to backwards compatibility on Xbone, I'll be all over that shit.

Barry Admin

Oh right, it's not just 1 that's available then, all three are now backwards compatible! Cheers for starting this thread Malcy, I had no idea.

I bought it as a digital download when it was on sale back in the day, so there it is, sitting in my "Ready to install" section and all. I love it.

Malcy

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 19, 2018, 10:32:04 AM
Oh right, it's not just 1 that's available then, all three are now backwards compatible! Cheers for starting this thread Malcy, I had no idea.

I bought it as a digital download when it was on sale back in the day, so there it is, sitting in my "Ready to install" section and all. I love it.

Yep, all 3! Just in the past few days as well. Tried to give multiplayer a bash but it was quiet. Apparently the Crysis 2 servers are still on the go so might try them today.

Enjoy finishing the story. It's brilliant.

AsparagusTrevor

I only ever played 1, Warhead and 2, never got round to 3 for some reason, although I wasn't really grabbed by 2's urban setting.

Crysis 1 is one of the best examples of making a linear game feel non-linear. Giving you a basic path to follow but giving you free reign to how you get there. Stealthy approach? Run in all guns blazing? Chuck a turtle at them?

Warhead is the same, but with more exploding and swearing.

biggytitbo

Crysis 2 reigns that in a bit as the urban settings are smaller in scale (probably because it was designed around the current consoles), but I think thats generally to its benefit. It still encourages you to tackle each area in different ways (and has the tactical visor suggesting the different approaches you could take), but its a bit more focused and funneled through action set pieces. The same can be said for 3, it alternatives between large open areas and tighter corridors, with a few on rails bits to break it up.

Malcy

Picked up the first one for £7.49 in the Xbox sale. Feels weird playing it on a console. Very slightly different and is taking time to get used to.

2 & 3 are in the sale at the same price.