Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Julian Assange: Cat Neglecter

Started by Blue Jam, October 19, 2018, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Wikileaks co-founder to take legal action against Ecuador

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45915017

QuoteJulian Assange is to launch legal action against the government of Ecuador, accusing it of violating his "fundamental rights and freedoms".

The Wikileaks co-founder has lived in its UK embassy since 2012 after seeking asylum to avoid extradition to Sweden over a rape claim - later dropped.

He was given a set of house rules by the London embassy this week, including taking better care of his cat.

What do you reckon? Is it a fundamental human right to not have to empty the litter tray every week?

Pseudopath

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 19, 2018, 04:41:15 PM
What do you reckon? Is it a fundamental human right to not have to empty the litter tray every week?

[tag] KittyLeaks [/tag]

Sin Agog

biggytitbo

This story and the continued glee and amusement of the msm over Assanges persecution is a disgrace. Compare and contrast his fortunes with elliot higgins, who the same papers laud as the second coming, and you can see which of the two is really telling truth to power and which is a tool of it.

Blue Jam

...but is Elliot Higgins neglecting his Bellingcat?

biggytitbo

gilbertharding

The idea that the charge of rape has 'been dropped' is a misunderstanding of what has actually happened.

gilbertharding

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 19, 2018, 04:48:28 PM
This story and the continued glee and amusement of the msm over Assanges persecution is a disgrace. Compare and contrast his fortunes with elliot higgins, who the same papers laud as the second coming, and you can see which of the two is really telling truth to power and which is a tool of it.

Which power?

Give it time.

Blue Jam

How do you know all this Biggy? Is Julian Assange's poor neglected moggy one of your agents?

MojoJojo

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 19, 2018, 04:52:38 PM
The idea that the charge of rape has 'been dropped' is a misunderstanding of what has actually happened.

Care to expand?

While I think Assange should have faced up to the charges, it does seem like the prolonged spell in the embassy has made him go a bit mental.

biggytitbo

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 19, 2018, 04:52:38 PM

There are no 'rape charges' against Julian Assange, he's a political prisoner in the Ecuadorian embassy because of trumped up espionage charges in the US. That the media finds the persecution of him like this so funny tells you everything about how phony their frequently self aggrandizing claims about how crucial to democracy the freedom and safety of journlists is.

gilbertharding

The Swedish authorities have dropped the investigation, basically because he's in the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Quote"In order to proceed with the case, Julian Assange would have to be formally notified of the criminal suspicions against him. We cannot expect to receive assistance from Ecuador regarding this. Therefore the investigation is discontinued.

"If he, at a later date, makes himself available, I will be able to decide to resume the investigation immediately."

Of course this was spun as "charges dropped" as if the words meant "He's innocent. Sorry everyone!"

It's the same wrong-end-of-the-telescope thinking that allows him to say he's being falsely imprisoned, or held without trial.

Of course, some people can remember when his messianic brand of speaking truth to power WAS widely welcomed by large swathes of the mainstream media.

gilbertharding

"Trumped up espionage charges..."

You obviously don't like it, but states - even 'so called' democratic ones  - have secrets. There are penalties for leaking them. Ask Chelsea Manning - who served a prison sentence and is now out and about talking about it.

biggytitbo

As im sure you well know, Assange has never attempted to dodge the Swedish authorities (because the now dropped charges against him were so pitifully thin), it's only because neither the UK or Swedish government would guarantee they wouldnt extradite him to an American torture prison that he became a political prisoner in the Ecuadorian embassy. Something the UN ruled last year amounted to illegal arbitrary imprisonment, a ruling the UK entirely ignored. Must have forgot our devotion to the 'rules based international order' that day eh?

Barry Admin

I knew he was a wrong 'un. Rape charges and now neglecting his own cat. Cast iron wrong 'un. Total git.

biggytitbo

Gilbertharding there, who thinks journalists should be imprisoned, persecuted and tortured for revealing the criminal wrongdoing of the US and UK government.

biggytitbo

When the bbc first reportrd on this nontroversy, they included a quote from Assange that actually originated from a spoof Twitter account. That's how much they care about accuracy when it comes to giving the urine smelling Aussie trouble maker a good kicking.

mothman

Bradley Manning wasn't a journalist, though, was he? He was a serving soldier who broke the law. Or do you think the law should be broken if you don't agree with it? Broken any laws you didn't agree with recently, Biggy?

Blue Jam

The BBC also quoted one of Limmy's "he was surprisingly down-to-earth, and VERY funny" on a news story about the feath of Barry Chuckle, but that doesn't mean they have a sinister anti-Chuckle agenda.

biggytitbo

Jesus listen to these guys, siding with the criminal behavioir of the US empire over whistleblers and journalists trying to expose it. Just incredible.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 19, 2018, 05:32:45 PM
The BBC also quoted one of Limmy's "he was surprisingly down-to-earth, and VERY funny" on a news story about the feath of Barry Chuckle, but that doesn't mean they have a sinister anti-Chuckle agenda.

I dunno, I heard Barry had stumbled upon the same dark secret as Jill Dando, and was dispatched before he could reveal the truth to the Rotherham Gazette.

Sin Agog

Quote from: mothman on October 19, 2018, 05:30:59 PM
Bradley Manning wasn't a journalist, though, was he? He was a serving soldier who broke the law. Or do you think the law should be broken if you don't agree with it? Broken any laws you didn't agree with recently, Biggy?

Of course if it may ultimately save thousands of lives and throw a few nails in the path of the inexorable war machine.  There are noble ways of breaking the law, and hers was one of them.  It's certainly more helpful than my old John Peel cassettes recorded off the radio, which are also technically illegal.

Dex Sawash

Pijlstaart

Twitter account and a range of ties, seems pretty spoiled to me, and a whole host of little embassy men to coo over it. I can only dream.

Cuellar

Why doesn't he just leave the embassy

MojoJojo

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 19, 2018, 05:33:47 PM
Jesus listen to these guys, siding with the criminal behavioir of the US empire over whistleblers and journalists trying to expose it. Just incredible.

Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a single piece of evidence linking the Swedish allegations and the US. I'm not saying it's not possible, but to state it as fact is confirmation bias. If Assange broke wind on TV, the same logic would lead you to conclude it was a US plot to discredit him.

biggytitbo

I'm not saying they're connected, I'm saying Assange is a political prisoner in the Ecudarian embassy because of the fear he will be sent to an American torture prison, not because of the laughably thin rape allegations. He has never made any attempt to dodge those allegations, that's pure propaganda.

Cuellar

The same Assange who gets sent expensive suits by the chairman of the New York Republican State Committee's finance committee and whose organisation met with Trump Jr. during the election campaign?

That fiercely independent scourge of the establishment?

MojoJojo

But the US has never tried to extradite Assange, and extraditing Assange from Sweden after he's been extradited there would actually be harder than just extraditing him from the UK.

The reasoning is completely broken, as it works on the assumption that the US wants to get him in Sweden because they can legally extradite him from there, but the EAW specifies that he couldn't be extradited from Sweden without going through the UK extradition process.

The whole premise i.e. get someone extradited from A->B because B will let you extradite from Z is actually an old concept and the EAW has been specifically written to block it.

jobotic

I'm sure Trump is after Farage and Putin's mate. Top Priority!