Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls tips for new players without spoilers

Started by The Boston Crab, October 20, 2018, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

I think you're right, there's definitely a case of running out of time and money that explains some of it.

Aside from the DLC bosses which are among the hardest/best, everything after O&S is pretty straightforward. I suppose it depends when you face them, as well. I seldom play beyond O&S, to be honest!

Bhazor

I wouldn't say that. There are some absolute fucking bullshit and/or lazy bosses in the first half of the game too.

Bhazor

Well spoilers. But cunt with dogs, that hydra cunt with the invisible bottomless pit, piss easy butterfly, second stray demon with the wierd AOE attack with no animation or pattern

Kelvin

Bloody hell. I managed to reach the end of Onion Bonce's quest line today in New Game Plus (following a guide to win that fight he died in on my original game), and... you weren't kidding, Bosto. His horrible, agonising death in that pit first time round was absolutely his better ending. I think his proper quest resolution was the most emotional moment in the entire game for me.

Quote from: Bhazor on November 12, 2018, 11:26:06 PM
Well spoilers. But cunt with dogs, that hydra cunt with the invisible bottomless pit, piss easy butterfly, second stray demon with the wierd AOE attack with no animation or pattern

H**** is definitely a big crap. Stupid drop, as mentioned, and it's attacks are really pointless once you know where to stand.

Fry

Feel like I just got the hang of this properly. Was going up from Darkroot Basin to the Undead Burg after having killed the butterfly bloke. Was having a bit of trouble with that big fucker with the phallic club so decided to use a new strategy, completely strip down to nothing and use only the mail breaker so I'm light as shit. I rolled around him like nothing else, springing up to backstab him every time he swung. Was actually really fun to keep tricking the twat into attacking where I was not gonna be then jumping up and stabbing him in the back. As I was fighting I was like "this is more like it, I should go low armour always". Then he dropped a ring that added loaaads on to my equip rate. So now I can don my upgraded chainmail, that grassy shield regenerates stamina at a quicker rate and my upgraded longsword. I'm dancing around the place and still have mad speed. I'm the fucking butterfly bloke (woman) now.

Just caned Capra Demon first time no trouble.

Also sorcery is shit I hate it wish I hadn't wasted two levels on attunement to try it out.

Laffin at two levels into attunement.

Otherwise, sounds like you're motoring now. King of the bitches.

Kelvin

Have you tried pyromancy, as well, Fry, or just sorcery? I had 9 seperate attunement slots by the end of my original run.

Fry

I've not found anyone to teach me pyromancy yet. I've just killed the capra demon and I'm running around trying out new weapons and attempting to figure out where "the key to the depths" is meant to go. I had a go at that big sea monster in the darkroot basin but those diamond lads were getting on my nerves, so I backtracked to firelink shrine to give the catacombs another pop (I wandered into it ages back and got absolutely rinsed in an instant). I mainly wanted to do it because I picked up a morningstar from at the secret area underneath the shortcut lift near the graveyard (which I found by complete accident, I stepped out of the lift without meaning to because my joycon keeps fucking putting in inputs when I don't want it to and my character fell arse-first into it) and my years of Dungeons and Dragons playing has taught me that skeletons have a weakness against blunt weapons. And wouldn't you know it the same holds true in this game.

Fry

Just like POW, shatter the cunts in a single swing.

Fry

Spent a good while trying to get past that dragon that lives on the bridge just after where you fight the first boss. Ducking into alcolves to avoid its fire and sending out arrows to try to bait it into jumping off its little perch. Then, when I had it down on the ground, darting out, rolling between its legs and fucking pegging it towards the other end of the bridge. Only to find that is just a shortcut to the Undead Parish. I let out a noise that was something between a laugh and a moan when I made it. All that time dying to fire from a big old nasty fuckin dragon in an attempt to reach what I thought was a cool new area or a special secret chest or something. Only to find that it's a shortcut which is pretty much useless to me now.

Although I enjoyed raising that portcullis and realising it was the one I had seen literally thousands of times before when I was trying to kill the Black Knight up top of the tower in the area, at the time I'd just assumed it was an unmovable gate which signified the extent of the Undead Parish. I thought it was just set dressing that led nowhere. This game is good.

And the lift shortcut is the greatest in any game ever made.

Fry

Found him! The pyromancer bloke. Poor sod was trapped in a barrel. Freed him after hacking up a zombie butcher. That's a weird personal coincidence for me. I did this bit an hour or so after making that post about killing skeletons with blunt objects. At the time a skeleton's susceptibility to blunt objects made think of diablo as well as DnD, but I only mentioned DnD. How weird is it that I found a butcher right after I thought about Diablo.

Fry

Woah, way more than an hour.

Also I'm sorry for rambling I think I'm a bit drunk.

Kelvin

Quote from: Fry on November 14, 2018, 04:10:08 PM
Found him! The pyromancer bloke. Poor sod was trapped in a barrel. Freed him after hacking up a zombie butcher. That's a weird personal coincidence for me.

This paragraph should have ended here.

Kelvin

Finished new game + today. Seriously considering starting new game ++

Good game this, innit

Really chuffed you're enjoying yourself with it.

What about a different build? It becomes a different thing, different approach required. Even all this time later, I've still just run a first ever Cleric Knight kinda build. Superb fun.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 15, 2018, 10:27:09 PM
Really chuffed you're enjoying yourself with it.

What about a different build? It becomes a different thing, different approach required. Even all this time later, I've still just run a first ever Cleric Knight kinda build. Superb fun.

I want to do a completely new build next year, starting from scratch with the base difficulty. Either sorcery or very light build. Maybe elements of both.

Obviously at this point, with me right at the start of NG++ it's hard for me to level up because I'm already about level 140, or something daft. So I want to lean into my current build, but from a different angle - maybe focus more on strength and endurance, as I'm already very slow, and would like to try some of the crazier heavy weapons.

I really ought to post my stats, actually. You might have some ideas on where to focus for one last run while it's still fresh in my mind.

Fry

Just finished blighttown and am exploring the demon's ruins.

Running around in a cloak with just a +5 zweihander is incredibly fun. Just diving around enemies and absolutely smashing them to pieces with an overhand swing. The stagger on that thing is incredible, made the weird demons in the demon ruins an absolute doddle.

Fry

Loving this game but I got to say the "curaed" mechanic is so shit. Having to run all the way back to the clock tower from the tree inside blightown swamp just because I was in a cloud for a little long is just tedious. Ended up spending 15,000 odd souls on purging stones alone just to stock up.

Fry

Should I be worried that I'm only upgrading my swords with regular titanite. Not really bothering with the other types. I'm just trying to get my zweihander as high damage as possible.

No. The other types require different builds and stuff. Regular titanite is fine.

Kelvin

Quote from: Fry on November 18, 2018, 10:18:22 AM
Should I be worried that I'm only upgrading my swords with regular titanite. Not really bothering with the other types. I'm just trying to get my zweihander as high damage as possible.

Actually, I'd upgrade your zweihander to a lightning zweihander, as it's insanely powerful. It's what i'm currently using in New Game++.

I think it's the blacksmith you meet in Anor Londo, if you've reached there yet.

Sin Agog

Been burning through this lately after only playing DS2 previously.  Kinda feel like a tip that should have been in the OP is upgrading your Faith to 12 so you can have 5 extra heals to keep things chill and save your estus flasks for bosses and the like.

Once again, not using a shield even once.  Must be missing out on a whole big element of the game, but either one-hit killing, or staggering and killing enemies before my stamina runs out is so much more satisfying than planting a fancy door betwixt us.  Also completely gobbles through most bosses.

Any idea at what point I should think about ditching this Drake sword?  It's serving me well so far, but I'm gonna have to think about upgrading something else eventually.

Thursday

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 22, 2018, 10:27:11 PM
Been burning through this lately after only playing DS2 previously.  Kinda feel like a tip that should have been in the OP is upgrading your Faith to 12 so you can have 5 extra heals to keep things chill and save your estus flasks for bosses and the like.

Nah, if you're struggling to keep enough Estus flasks on your way to the boss (from 10) It probably means you need to get better at not getting hit.

Fry

Fighting Ornstein and Smough. After about 6 attempts got them both down to a tiny bit of health. Dodged around a bit, healed up with my one remaining estus flask, got the final blow on the big fat fucker...

THEN THE OTHER CUNT FUCKING PATS HIM ON THE BELLY AND GETS BACK TO FULL FUCKING HEALTH AND BECOMES 4 TIMES FUCKING BIGGER WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK FUCK THIS SHITTY GAME.

Closest I've ever come to throwing a controller against the wall.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Thursday on November 23, 2018, 12:01:14 AM
Nah, if you're struggling to keep enough Estus flasks on your way to the boss (from 10) It probably means you need to get better at not getting hit.

I'm not bad.  I just don't like being tense all the time so it's nice to have the Heal spells there.  Also, I've always had a sort of hoarder mentality when it comes to consumables, so I just stick with the five flasks and save the Humanity.  Basically consumables become collectables in games for me.  Can't be the only one who's weird like that.

Also, I'd make the first tip be never smegging lock onto a boss.  Just places you in front of them, which is never where you want to be.  All these Monster Hunter/DS style games are basically bull fighting simulators, aren't they?

That's not true about locking on, you can strafe 360 degrees locked on.

Also, you don't need to waste points in Faith for healing. Just kindle the bonfires up to 10 then 20. Not only do you not need to hoard humanity unless you want to do some specific NPC quest because you can put down your summon sign any time you need to restore humanity for a boss, you will also get 'soft' humanity by just going through the areas. There's no way to 'bank' this, so you're much better off using it to kindle bonfires.

Sin Agog

Wait, do I have a glitched game that says I have no Humanity whenever I try to kindle, even though I am unhollowed and have about 20?  No wonder the whole kindling aspect passed me by.  Gonna have to go the rest of the game with half the number of estus flasks as everyone else.  But that's kind of what I've already been doing, so I guess it's no biggie.