Author Topic: Rule of Three  (Read 23527 times)

Rule of Three
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:53:14 PM »
Anyone listening to this? It's a podcast from Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris. Every week they have someone different from comedy on to chat a little bit about their lives/careers but also to talk about a comedy thing that the guest chooses. So far (Among others) there's been John Finnemore on On the Hour, Danielle Ward on Bottom, David Quantick on Time Bandits, Tony Way on Trading Places, Aisling Bea on Father Ted and this week is Kevin Eldon on The Rutles. Some fascinating stuff about the construction of comedy and just a really warm feel to the podcast.

Re: Rule of Three
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 11:05:50 PM »
Yes, enjoy these a lot.

Utter Shit

• Snotty Bumstead
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »
I've only listened to the Danielle Ward and Aisling Bea ones but they're both great.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
I love how often it gives me a perspective on something I hadn't thought about, like Aisling discussing Irish television of the time and why Father Ted seemed such a radical thing when she first saw it. Also her comment about panel shows and the host who slammed all the male guests but took it easy on her was enlightening.

The Sue Perkins one on Spinal Tap was fun and Michael McKean tweeted to say he'd heard it and he wanted to thank the three of them for all the praise which I thought was quite cool.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
I'm listening to this it is generally great. Other episodes that I particularly enjoyed was Davey Jones on Willy the Kid and the one about giving up stand up.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:32:16 PM »
Can I download them without using itunes?

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »
You can- I had the same problem as you and someone on here helped me out- for some reason they make it hard to find the download links.

https://rss.acast.com/ruleofthree

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
Oh yeah the Willy the Kid one was great.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 04:22:31 PM »
Another great one about Hitchhikers today.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:52:37 PM »
Really enjoyed the Quantick one, interesting opinions articulated well.

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
They're quite excellent. So enthusiastic. Really inspiring for comedy writers.

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 11:06:05 PM »
They're pure joy. Really insightful, never gets dull.
I loved the Monty Python episodes in Series 1. The Rutles in this series.
But as can be the case with these things, if your favourite bit isn't referenced, you feel a bit put out. Like in the Father Ted episode, to not mention the effect of hearing the word 'Feck' was odd to me. To Brits not used to the word, that double take, then that wonder if they are really getting away with something much stronger.

Utter Shit

• Snotty Bumstead
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 11:38:01 PM »
Not strictly related, but does anyone/did anyone used to listen to the Waffle On podcast? Properly detailed podcasts about British comedies among other cult shows, with a real love for everything they review. For some reason I feel like its connected to here - did the guys on there post here? Or do I just connect the two because the level of comedy nerdiness was CAB-esque?

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
This week's episode is about a Micallef sketch. I'd never checked him out before but now I'm absolutely addicted.

SpiderChrist

• IS THIS A PIECE OF YOUR BRAIN?
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
Another fan here. The Spinal Tap episode was a delight.

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
Just caught up with the latest 2 episodes - A Bit Of Fry & Laurie and Tom Lehrer.
Both tremendous.
I really need to have a re-listen to Lehrer.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
I love it and have discovered some new things through it but one of them does this little suppressed snort/laugh thing most of the way through it that fair turns my stomach. Just laugh. Or don't laugh.

Queneau

• That was a joke. That's all it was, it was a joke.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »
Not heard this before. Cheers for the heads up. Going to start with the Bottom one.

Crabwalk

• I behaved like a skinhead.
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
Just want to echo the praise really. I've been on board since episode one due to the promise of John Finnemore talking about "On the Hour', and it's proven a very entertaining and insightful show ever since.

It's reinforced my love of many things (e.g. Ever Decreasing Circles) and introduced me to some great new stuff to boot (e.g. The Micallef Program). The Rufus Jones 'Midnight Run' episode might be my favourite.

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
If you like Rule of Three you might be interested in the episode of Backlisted Joel Morris and Jason Hazeley did on Bert Fegg's Nasty Book for Boys and Girls by Terry Jones and Michael Palin. It is a bit like a bonus episode of Rule of Three. I wonder if this is where they got the idea for doing Rule of Three as it is a bit like Backlisted only for comedy not books.

https://www.backlisted.fm/episodes/13-jones-and-palin-bert-feggs-nasty-book-for-boys-and-girls

Norton Canes

• Watching the Wednesday wheel
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
Trying to listen to the Quantick/Time Bandits one now and no-one in the office will SHUT THE FUCK UP

Norton Canes

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 03:54:28 PM »
I've got it on my headphones and every fucker on the corridor has suddenly arrived in the office to talk AS LOUD AS THEY CAN

Norton Canes

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
FUCK'S SAKE for ONE MINUTE just SHUT the FUCK UP

Norton Canes

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »
ONE FUCKING TIME I decide to put something on my headphones

Norton Canes

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
I never thought I would be THIS DESPERATE to listen to David Quantick

Norton Canes

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
at last

Queneau

• That was a joke. That's all it was, it was a joke.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
Thanks to this thread I have enjoyed the episode about Bottom and watching Norton have a meltdown. Going to try some more episodes later.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
Looks like a good podcast to add. Some nice combinations there of guests and topics. Also thanks for mentioning Waffle On. Was searching for this. Remembered having it on my old phone but couldn't remember name and any search descriptions came up with Nada.

hermitical

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
You can- I had the same problem as you and someone on here helped me out- for some reason they make it hard to find the download links.

https://rss.acast.com/ruleofthree

This is a handy little website, allows you to easily create rss feeds for iTunes and SoundCloud

http://getrssfeed.com/

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
Ta- that might come in.