Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:10:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rule of Three

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, October 20, 2018, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone listening to this? It's a podcast from Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris. Every week they have someone different from comedy on to chat a little bit about their lives/careers but also to talk about a comedy thing that the guest chooses. So far (Among others) there's been John Finnemore on On the Hour, Danielle Ward on Bottom, David Quantick on Time Bandits, Tony Way on Trading Places, Aisling Bea on Father Ted and this week is Kevin Eldon on The Rutles. Some fascinating stuff about the construction of comedy and just a really warm feel to the podcast.

DrGreggles

Utter Shit

I've only listened to the Danielle Ward and Aisling Bea ones but they're both great.

I love how often it gives me a perspective on something I hadn't thought about, like Aisling discussing Irish television of the time and why Father Ted seemed such a radical thing when she first saw it. Also her comment about panel shows and the host who slammed all the male guests but took it easy on her was enlightening.

The Sue Perkins one on Spinal Tap was fun and Michael McKean tweeted to say he'd heard it and he wanted to thank the three of them for all the praise which I thought was quite cool.

Pranet

I'm listening to this it is generally great. Other episodes that I particularly enjoyed was Davey Jones on Willy the Kid and the one about giving up stand up.

Gulftastic

Can I download them without using itunes?

Pranet

You can- I had the same problem as you and someone on here helped me out- for some reason they make it hard to find the download links.

https://rss.acast.com/ruleofthree

Oh yeah the Willy the Kid one was great.

Pranet

Another great one about Hitchhikers today.

rasta-spouse

Really enjoyed the Quantick one, interesting opinions articulated well.

Brundle-Fly

They're quite excellent. So enthusiastic. Really inspiring for comedy writers.

kidsick5000

They're pure joy. Really insightful, never gets dull.
I loved the Monty Python episodes in Series 1. The Rutles in this series.
But as can be the case with these things, if your favourite bit isn't referenced, you feel a bit put out. Like in the Father Ted episode, to not mention the effect of hearing the word 'Feck' was odd to me. To Brits not used to the word, that double take, then that wonder if they are really getting away with something much stronger.

Utter Shit

Not strictly related, but does anyone/did anyone used to listen to the Waffle On podcast? Properly detailed podcasts about British comedies among other cult shows, with a real love for everything they review. For some reason I feel like its connected to here - did the guys on there post here? Or do I just connect the two because the level of comedy nerdiness was CAB-esque?

This week's episode is about a Micallef sketch. I'd never checked him out before but now I'm absolutely addicted.

SpiderChrist

Another fan here. The Spinal Tap episode was a delight.

DrGreggles

Just caught up with the latest 2 episodes - A Bit Of Fry & Laurie and Tom Lehrer.
Both tremendous.
I really need to have a re-listen to Lehrer.

SteveDave

I love it and have discovered some new things through it but one of them does this little suppressed snort/laugh thing most of the way through it that fair turns my stomach. Just laugh. Or don't laugh.

Queneau

Not heard this before. Cheers for the heads up. Going to start with the Bottom one.

Crabwalk

Just want to echo the praise really. I've been on board since episode one due to the promise of John Finnemore talking about "On the Hour', and it's proven a very entertaining and insightful show ever since.

It's reinforced my love of many things (e.g. Ever Decreasing Circles) and introduced me to some great new stuff to boot (e.g. The Micallef Program). The Rufus Jones 'Midnight Run' episode might be my favourite.

Pranet

If you like Rule of Three you might be interested in the episode of Backlisted Joel Morris and Jason Hazeley did on Bert Fegg's Nasty Book for Boys and Girls by Terry Jones and Michael Palin. It is a bit like a bonus episode of Rule of Three. I wonder if this is where they got the idea for doing Rule of Three as it is a bit like Backlisted only for comedy not books.

https://www.backlisted.fm/episodes/13-jones-and-palin-bert-feggs-nasty-book-for-boys-and-girls

Norton Canes

Trying to listen to the Quantick/Time Bandits one now and no-one in the office will SHUT THE FUCK UP

Norton Canes

I've got it on my headphones and every fucker on the corridor has suddenly arrived in the office to talk AS LOUD AS THEY CAN

Norton Canes

FUCK'S SAKE for ONE MINUTE just SHUT the FUCK UP

Norton Canes

ONE FUCKING TIME I decide to put something on my headphones

Norton Canes

I never thought I would be THIS DESPERATE to listen to David Quantick

Norton Canes

Queneau

Thanks to this thread I have enjoyed the episode about Bottom and watching Norton have a meltdown. Going to try some more episodes later.

EOLAN

Looks like a good podcast to add. Some nice combinations there of guests and topics. Also thanks for mentioning Waffle On. Was searching for this. Remembered having it on my old phone but couldn't remember name and any search descriptions came up with Nada.

hermitical

Quote from: Pranet on October 21, 2018, 04:47:47 PM
You can- I had the same problem as you and someone on here helped me out- for some reason they make it hard to find the download links.

https://rss.acast.com/ruleofthree

This is a handy little website, allows you to easily create rss feeds for iTunes and SoundCloud

http://getrssfeed.com/

Pranet