Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:11:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rule of Three

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, October 20, 2018, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 19, 2019, 06:50:10 PM
id pick that video of the ehow bloke sawing away at that pizza

That'll be gone by then. Next episode I presume.

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 19, 2019, 05:18:34 PM
This podcast has made me think what I'll choose when they invite me on.
It'll probably be either Absolutely or Vic Reeves' Big Night Out.

I'm waiting for somebody to pick something from Peter Cook. So I'd either go for Cook or a Connolly stand-up, I think. Possibly Connolly's An Audience With... show because it's the first stand-up related thing I can remember seeing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yep, I'd go for An Audience with Billy Connolly too. It's the single greatest stand-up performance I've ever seen, one of the few pieces of comedy which, no matter how many times I watch it, still makes me cry with laughter to an almost painful degree.

It's the apotheosis of Connolly's craft, a seemingly rambling - yet tightly crafted - series of extended anecdotes and observations. His delivery and turn of phrase are impeccable. That set whips the audience, both at home and in the studio, into a state of comic hysteria, it's masterful.

And no, he doesn't mention jobbies once.

EOLAN

If I was on it; I 'd nearly want to go into something extremely specific. Either the parody of ESPN 30 for 30 doc on Rocky IV or the (original) Alan A'Dale sketch from Pete and Dud. For the second one; could use the Australian version as a comparison and why one works so much better than the other (or how much my original viewing bias takes in). Would lead to a segue to the Dirty Fork sketch on the TV episode of MPFC and the version on Now For Something Completely Different.
May only get away with a minisode rather than a full episode.

alan nagsworth

I reckon I could talk for an hour and half about Peanuts.

kidsick5000

I'm surprised nobody has chosen An Audience With Billy Connolly.
The effect incontinence pants has on the audience is amazing.

kidsick5000

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 16, 2019, 07:03:03 PM
They have become a victim of their success though. It's becoming clear that The One Show has been picking up on their ticks and traits and trying to cut off their more mockable moments.
I guarantee that the hosts are going to cut down on using "What's that like" as their standard question soon.

So a big 'hello' to the chaps from The The One Show Show who referenced the above in this week's episodes. (Possibly. Maybe. Who knows)
And yep, there has been a a near total cull of "What's that like" usage.
Maybe the TTOSS should just pick a totally innocuous word and see if they can play with that.
"How often does Matt Baker say "THE"? All the time the the the the the." Then watch Baker go nuts as he tries to present without using "the"

I really hope they get their own Deep Throat for the program. A disgruntled runner forced to stay up all night making sure Baker's trishaw didn't get stolen. Someone like that.

Potentially interesting Twitter thread with Joel Morris, Rufus Jones, John Rain etc

https://twitter.com/rufusjones1/status/1140500013052772352

Filled with observations on why so many modern American comedy films are full of improv moments that just don't work and instead come across as lazy and hacky.

gilbertharding

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 17, 2019, 11:53:35 AM
Potentially interesting Twitter thread with Joel Morris, Rufus Jones, John Rain etc

Filled with observations on why so many modern American comedy films are full of improv moments that just don't work and instead come across as lazy and hacky.

Ooh - and Robert Webb naming names about Confetti. David Quantick not naming names about... something...

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 17, 2019, 11:53:35 AM

That all-pervading style has put me off films, and some TV, generally. She's nailed it, but when pressed, I find it hard to articulate quite what it is.

gilbertharding

I think 'it' might well have been funny (or at least refreshing), the first time it was aired (I don't know when that was). Like so much, it's now just hackneyed.

Her delivery reminds me of Zooey Deschanel though - I couldn't now say if Zooey created, or murdered, that style.

I suppose it's the current variation of what SOTCAA called "That voice", the vocal inflections have a comic rhythm but what's said often isn't a joke.

Twed

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on June 17, 2019, 04:07:11 PM
That all-pervading style has put me off films, and some TV, generally. She's nailed it, but when pressed, I find it hard to articulate quite what it is.
It really is a great video. The closest I can get to defining "it" is that American audiences in particular gave comedians a free pass for being lazy by over-valuing sarcasm and quirkiness, to the point where anything else just seems like the actors are doing it wrong.

kidsick5000

If you're unfortunate to watch Men In Black International, you'll see the worst improv style Chris Hemsworth can do.
Benefit if the doubt, I don't think they wrote any jokes in, they just said "Chris, could you do some Thor improv?"

olliebean

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 17, 2019, 03:34:08 PM
Ooh - and Robert Webb naming names about Confetti. David Quantick not naming names about... something...

Am I using twitter wrong? That thread to me appears to only have 10 comments, and none by Webb or Quantick. But there is one by Tony Way referring to a comment by Joel Morris that isn't showing up for me.

<edit> interesting - the extra comments show up if I'm not logged in. I don't seem to have been blocked by the people in question. Is this an instance of Twitter arbitrarily deciding not to show me certain comments due to some bullshit AI algorithm deciding what it thinks I want to read?

You have to click on the individual tweets in the thread and they bring up the responses to that particular comment etc.

olliebean

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 17, 2019, 09:46:52 PM
You have to click on the individual tweets in the thread and they bring up the responses to that particular comment etc.

They don't, though. Certain comments are just not showing up for me at all while I'm logged in. And others, specifically the Tony Way comments, aren't showing up when I'm logged out. Very odd. I really think it has to be a case of Twitter being a twat.

<edit> and scrolling down Joel Morris's "Tweets & replies" feed, it seems there are other comments that aren't showing up in context whether I'm logged in or not.

Maybe, yeah. The Tony Way tweets show up for me if I click on the Rufus Jones tweet that mentions writers' ticks.

olliebean

Bloody hell, Twitter. Same result in a different browser. Same result in the Android app. Tried in one of the third party apps, that shows me a couple (only a couple) of comments that hadn't showed up on the official site whether I was logged in or out. Stupid fucking tech companies thinking they know better than me what I want to see.

I'm very confused how nobody else here is having the same problem, though.

<edit> tried a different 3rd party app and got a completely different set of replies (five of them this time). Twitter is broken.

beanheadmcginty

I'm having the same problem olliebean. Can only see a handful of responses.

the

Streamlining your personal user experience for the way you live today™

oy vey

Great find, thank you CAB. The Airplane episode was excellent. I had no idea it was basically a rewrite of obscure 50's B movie - Zero Hour. Grab an overly earnest piece of shit but secretly good script, ham the shit out of it, hire the most overly earnest piece of shit but secretly good actors, done.

New series starts next week.

kidsick5000

The The One Show Show is on a break too. This could mean they come back refreshed, or their dislike of Matt Baker festers into something pathological.

Crabwalk

The guest for the live episode at Latitude is... Marcus Brigstocke. A bit disappointing considering the quality of some of the stand-ups on the bill.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 09, 2019, 06:49:34 PM
The guest for the live episode at Latitude is... Marcus Brigstocke. A bit disappointing considering the quality of some of the stand-ups on the bill.

Could be okay. These things can depend on group chemistry

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 09, 2019, 06:52:00 PM
Could be okay. These things can depend on group chemistry

This podcast tends to be enjoyable even when the guest is someone you don't particularly care for. Phill Jupitus was a case in point for me. I don't hate the man or owt, he seems like a nice enough fella, but he's never made me laugh in his capacity as a professional comedian. However, listening to him talk about the work of Chuck Jones with such expert knowledge and passion was a real joy.

Crabwalk

Agreed, which is why I went with 'a bit disappointing' rather than anything stronger. It's just that as I'm attending the festival it would've been a must-see if the guest were someone I had any affection for.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, didn't realise that you were actually attending the festival. Do you know what Brigstocke has chosen to talk about? Hopefully he'll tackle whatever it is in an agreeable and non-annoying way. Mind you, I wouldn't want to spend an hour in a tent with Marcus Brigstocke either...