Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rule of Three

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, October 20, 2018, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on August 29, 2019, 11:06:49 PM
new one - Jack Docherty on Ivor Cutler - is SO GOOD.
One of the best episodes.

hummingofevil

Can I just say that I am late to this and it is absolutely excellent. I love it. Rosie Jones on The Royal Family and her discussion of the comparison between her unique comedy timing and it's writing is absolutely wonderful.

rasta-spouse

Latest one is on Shaun of the Dead.

These folks talking about it like its a comedy masterpiece is a bit weird.

alan nagsworth

I really really like the first two acts of Shaun of the Dead. The third is fucking boring though. It's far from a masterpiece.

Twed

Yeah, it's two thirds of a great film with a shit ending.

phantom_power

I think it is three thirds of a great film and the best horror comedy since American Werewolf in London. Obviously they are going to rave about it because that is the point of the show. People don't come on to talk about things they quite like

Twed

Quote from: phantom_power on September 30, 2019, 08:52:47 PMPeople don't come on to talk about things they quite like
Yes but it might be more interesting if the hosts didn't have to pretend that they like everything all of their guests like as much as they do.

rasta-spouse

I like it when Nick Frost comes on and says "which of you cunts wants a drink?" or something. Big laugh from me on the c-word. Then after that didn't really enjoy the film.

My problem is that it's neither a great horror/zombie film or a great comedy film. And I think it doesn't know what it's meant to be, which camp it wants to be in, whether it's a parody or not....I much preferred The Battery (although that had its shortcomings too).

Found the podcast way overpraised the film and then started thinking about the Adam & Joe show episode where they interview Pat Sharp and way overpraise him.

DrGreggles

SOTD is the best of the trilogy, but I wouldn't rate it higher than 'quite good'.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on September 30, 2019, 08:55:18 PM
Yes but it might be more interesting if the hosts didn't have to pretend that they like everything all of their guests like as much as they do.

Maybe they aren't pretending?

Twed

They just like everything? Makes me uncomfortable, give me some miserable bastards inst... oh CaB.

metaltax

But the point of the podcast is to celebrate specific comedy things. Why would you invite someone on to talk about something you don't can't enthuse about?

Twed

I don't believe that they decline people because they aren't as enthusiastic about their chosen item as they are, which leads me to feel the enthusiasm they show can be overblown at times. No big deal, I just think it would be nice for them to temper that and approach things from a "convince me" standpoint. You can still gush about the details of things that aren't wholly your favourite thing.

Utter Shit

You lads should give Friends With Friends a try. A podcast about Friends ostensibly by people who love the show, but which is almost entirely based around taking the piss out of every aspect of it.

To be honest the thing I love about Rule Of Three is that the guests are people who don't just find a particular show funny, it actually means something to them, so there is a relative lack of cynicism. I just wish they featured more things I've seen - the handful of episodes about shows I know and love (Bottom, Father Ted, Definite Article, Fawlty Towers) were all great, but most of them I don't know anything about.

Twed

I quite like some of the ones I don't know about, which is where the enthusiasm angle does work really well.

Ambient Sheep

I've listened to twelve of these now (basically in order, mostly skipping the ones where I knew neither the person nor the comedy, although I do intend to catch up with those as well sometime) and they've been very good.

However one of the last two I listened to, either HHGTTG or Tom Lehrer (sorry I forget which, was a few months ago, probably the former) was riddled with factual errors which neither of the hosts picked up on either, despite their supposed enthusiasm for the subject (which is the context in which I'm mentioning it).

Also, is it just me or do Hazeley & Morris sound almost identical?  I have great difficulty in telling them apart, a wee bit of stereo separation would help tremendously.

These are minor quibbles though... for the most part another brilliant thing brought to me via CaB, so thank you worldsgreatestsinner for starting this thread. :-)

Twed

I've been enjoying Box of Delights (also from Great Big Owl) which covers more genres (not just comedy), isn't based on the premise that everything they cover is good, and isn't hosted by two Charlie Brooker-voiced guys.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's impossible to tell the two hosts apart, isn't it? They speak as one. At least, during the episode in which the actual Charlie Brooker was a guest, I could tell he was speaking because I'm used to hearing his voice. He has the benefit of being a broadcaster with a decade of recordings behind him, so you know what he specifically sounds like.

Lucky old Charlie, as it turns out that all successful English comedy writers since 2000 speak in exactly the same way, so it sounds like they're doing an impression of him.

What came first, the Charlie or the egg? Rhetorical, I don't actually care. Bored.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Twed on October 01, 2019, 01:35:22 PM
No big deal, I just think it would be nice for them to temper that and approach things from a "convince me" standpoint. You can still gush about the details of things that aren't wholly your favourite thing.

On Miles Jupp's Frasier episode, I think it's Jason who says he's never seen an episode before and never been interested in watching it until that point. There's others where you can tell they're only watching it for the first time but they're picking out the parts of it they enjoy the most which to me is fine as they're there to praise it rather than really critique it.

The guests' taste chime in with Jason and Joel's the majority of the time too. I can't think of any particularly controversial choices but it would be an interesting conversation if somebody brought on Roy Chubby Brown's Saturday Night Beaver.

Andy147

Unusually for me, I don't find it hard to tell them apart because I think Joel Morris sounds exactly like Steve Punt and Jason Hazeley doesn't.

I like the podcast generally and don't mind their enthusiasm, but there are a couple of aspects I'm less keen on:

- in pretty much all the ones I've heard, they're trying to come across as very well-informed on the subject chosen, and occasionally, when it's something I'm a fan of, I'm not really convinced that they know what they're talking about - which leaves me wondering if they actually know what they're talking about when it's on something I'm less familiar with.

- when they talk about shows they've worked on, they'll say things like "that was pure Cunk", or "that reminded me of Cloth", which I always find a bit exclusive and cliquey. (But that might just be me).

Twed

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 26, 2019, 10:10:07 AM
The guests' taste chime in with Jason and Joel's the majority of the time too.
Is that a good thing?

Quote from: Andy147 on October 26, 2019, 03:42:32 PM- when they talk about shows they've worked on, they'll say things like "that was pure Cunk", or "that reminded me of Cloth", which I always find a bit exclusive and cliquey. (But that might just be me).

This for me too. I don't mind them being positive about things but I wish they wouldn't call stuff 'great writing' so often. I know that's their field, but c'mon

Similar to the above, they've mentioned a few times that there should be a cast-iron internal logic for all decisions made in comedy (an interesting point) and then cite Cloth and Cunk as examples of this, when I'd say they're both pretty much a relentless string of gags with a hollow centre.

And their earnest explanation that one of the "producers" on Cunk was secretly in love with her, which is why she was given free reign to make these factually inaccurate and shambolic history programmes, came across as really badly thought out. Wouldn't this producer be removed and the Beeb just not air Cunk's shit history programmes?

Adlopa

Quote from: Andy147 on October 26, 2019, 03:42:32 PM
Unusually for me, I don't find it hard to tell them apart because I think Joel Morris sounds exactly like Steve Punt and Jason Hazeley doesn't.

Yes, it's like the Punt & Quantick show. A bit.

Rolf Lundgren

I liked the Shaun of the Dead chat, the hour flew by. The praise feels well justified to me and they did a good job breaking down why the film works as well as it does. And it reminded me of the most mum-like dying words in a film "It's been a funny sort of a day hasn't it?".

beanheadmcginty

Finally an episode of this turns up where I feel qualified to comment, and it's because Ghostbusters is my favourite film and I know the words to it.
I now concur with previous comments noting that if you know the subject matter particularly well then the main chatty presenter is clearly totally winging it. The other interjector presenter is far more insightful despite never seeing the film before. My only problem is that they didn't analyse the film as a comedy in the same way that they have talked about stuff in previous episodes. They chatted about special effects and music etc, which are all important but as comedy writers I think it seemed like they hadn't paid  enough attention to the superb gag-filled script.

And there's a tell-tale error. They claim you don't see the library ghost, which did happen in the old censored TV version, but certainly not in the original version.

HAVANAGILA

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 13, 2020, 02:51:04 AM
And there's a tell-tale error. They claim you don't see the library ghost, which did happen in the old censored TV version, but certainly not in the original version.

I thought they were saying that you don't see the ghost in the opening scene, which is right, isn't it? The ghost only appears in the scene where the Ghostbusters visit the library, IIRC.

I do really enjoy Rule of Three, but far prefer it when Morris and Hazeley act as enthusiastic fans rather than dispensers of wisdom.

As others have said, if you're a fan of the chosen subject then it makes for a frustrating listening experience, as they confidently get things entirely wrong. The Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers was a shambles because of this.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: HAVANAGILA on March 13, 2020, 09:36:25 AM
I thought they were saying that you don't see the ghost in the opening scene, which is right, isn't it? The ghost only appears in the scene where the Ghostbusters visit the library, IIRC.

Yeah fair enough, maybe I misheard.

Dewt

I tried to get over how annoying I've found Eddie Izzard in the past few years and listened to the latest episode, thinking that there's bound to be a lot of gold in there that makes it worth ignoring anything irritating.

Lasted maybe eight minutes. Izzard being a big show-off bore and then complaining about political extremists and how most people are actually centrists, apropos of nothing.