Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:31:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rule of Three

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, October 20, 2018, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typeforty

I might have listened to this if I didn't keep hearing the trailer for it on other podcasts. If I have to hear "YOU'LL BOTH LAUGH" one more time I may jump.

Swoz_MK

This Thursday's episode is Nish Kumar defending Darkplace

Travis B

Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 03, 2018, 04:30:24 PM
This Thursday's episode is Nish Kumar defending Darkplace

Fuck, the only dud guest they've had on so far. Have to give this one a miss. As much as I like Darkplace I don't want to hear an unfunny comic shouting in my ear.

kidsick5000

Quote from: typeforty on December 01, 2018, 11:31:18 AM
I might have listened to this if I didn't keep hearing the trailer for it on other podcasts. If I have to hear "YOU'LL BOTH LAUGH" one more time I may jump.

They really do need to alter the trailer. That Aisling Bea bit comes at you at a really abrasive volume.

The Fry and Laurie one was great, especially the tantalising detail that there are hundreds of sketches to be unearthed

SteveDave

It's Nish Patel Kumar week on the podcasts!

typeforty

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 04, 2018, 03:24:09 PM
They really do need to alter the trailer. That Aisling Bea bit comes at you at a really abrasive volume.

The Fry and Laurie one was great, especially the tantalising detail that there are hundreds of sketches to be unearthed

Listening to The The One Show Show today... They've altered the Rule of Three trailer! It specifically mentions Nish Kumar, so they might be back to the old one next week, but there's a good chance we're being watched ;)

Has anyone tried Inside the Comedian? David Reed from The Penny Dreadfuls interviewing other comedians but they're completely improvised and the questions are on a fake career history of the guest. The quality can vary depending on the guest but the episodes with Michael Legge, Margaret Cabourn-Smith and John Finnemore are all excellent.

kidsick5000

The Nish Kumar on Darkplace is a beautiful piece of work. Another one where you'd wish they'd not end the episode.

I'm considering becoming a famous comedy person so I can go on it. But what would I pick to talk about?
Possible just the Anaconda Liquor deduction scene from Black Dynamite. Possibly my favourite piece of nonsense in film.

DrGreggles

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 07, 2018, 05:28:31 AM
The Nish Kumar on Darkplace is a beautiful piece of work. Another one where you'd wish they'd not end the episode.

I'm considering becoming a famous comedy person so I can go on it. But what would I pick to talk about?
Possible just the Anaconda Liquor deduction scene from Black Dynamite. Possibly my favourite piece of nonsense in film.

Yes, I enjoyed it too. Nish gets a hard time on here, but I don't mind him.

I had the same thought about what show I'd choose on this (for my inevitable appearance) and I think it would probably be Absolutely.

Tony Tony Tony

I happened across this podcast a little while ago. IIRC it may have been recommended on Stuart Goldsmiths ComCom. The Ed Morrish on Hitch Hikers Guide was awesome and made my admiration for Douglas Adams rise even higher (if that were even possible).

Daniele Ward's Bottom was much to be admired. As I work in Hammersmith I pass through the Broadway building which was used in the Bottom opening credits whilst being built. There is also the Rik Mayall memorial bench on the traffic island where more of the opening was filmed. I regularly pat the bench fondly when out for a lunchtime perambulation. I suppose a true fan would ask a passer by to punch them in the nads whilst seated there but I'm too soft for that (as are my nads).

the

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on December 07, 2018, 09:17:04 AMI suppose a true fan would ask a passer by to punch them in the nads whilst seated there

I think a true fan would sit on it crying but attempting to look as though they're not.

The only RoT's I've listened to as yet are Davey Jones on Leo Baxendale (excellent) and the aforementioned Bottom one (decent, better than I expected). I think the thing I have to get over is that it's mainly comedians that I'm not particuarly interested in talking about comedy that I am interested in.

Also have to get over the dread that someone may come out with a theory/observation that mirrors one of my own, and then feeling like I can't make that observation again because it may then seem like I've moronically copied it.

But it's great to hear genuine enthusiasm, and not vain evangelism.

rasta-spouse

Interesting point about how Darkplace was the last direct-to-tv transition of a Perrier winner. Were they implying that because it was considered a flop at the time it bucked that particular trend or that something happened in 2004-6 that has resulted in poorer tv comedy landscape?

Also...Nish Kumar is a pretty average-to-bad comic, and fronts one of the worst comedy shows of the decade, but he does explain himself nicely on a podcast.

kidsick5000

I found it fascinating that series get less money as they go on. Had never heard that before.

olliebean

Quote from: rasta-spouse on December 07, 2018, 11:12:03 AMAlso...Nish Kumar is a pretty average-to-bad comic, and fronts one of the worst comedy shows of the decade

You've not watched much new comedy over the past decade, have you?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: olliebean on December 07, 2018, 01:34:32 PM
You've not watched much new comedy over the past decade, have you?

What's your bottom 10 for the 2010s? 

Twed

Quote from: rasta-spouse on December 07, 2018, 11:12:03 AM
Also...Nish Kumar is a pretty average-to-bad comic, and fronts one of the worst comedy shows of the decade, but he does explain himself nicely on a podcast.
I agree with that. He was quite good on this, but wow he has absolutely no craft. His one comedic trick is punctuating a situation with an incredulous tone of voice. It's bad.

Nish gets a lot of slack from me just because of that story about him and Leslie Grantham on the tube.

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on December 07, 2018, 07:08:00 PM
Nish gets a lot of slack from me just because of that story about him and Leslie Grantham on the tube.

Precisely

olliebean

What's the Leslie Grantham story?

On the old Ray Peacock podcast Raji James was one of the hosts. Raji had been in Eastenders with Grantham for about a year, part of a big Asian family who came into the show, and talked about what a prick he was to everyone and gave the impression he was a bit racist. So Nish and Ed Gamble were on the tube one night and Grantham got on. This was when Nish was just starting out and completely unknown. So Nish approached Grantham and said hi, then he said "Don't you remember me? I was in Eastenders. One of the Ferreira's." At which point Grantham pretend of course he remembered him, etc. So then Ray, Ed and Raji started a campaign to get all British Asian listeners to approach Grantham and introduce themselves as one of the Ferreira family.

typeforty

Why does he get stick for that? It's a funny story.

EDIT: Oh, you said slack. I'm a bellend.

SteveDave

Quote from: Twed on December 07, 2018, 06:49:06 PM
I agree with that. He was quite good on this, but wow he has absolutely no craft. His one comedic trick is punctuating a situation with an incredulous tone of voice. It's bad.

It "works" for Josh Widdecombe.

Twed

Yep, very similar. I think comedy should have a higher bar than "fun person to have in a group of friends maybe", and I blame powerful agents for it all.

metaltax

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on December 05, 2018, 03:03:33 PM
Has anyone tried Inside the Comedian? David Reed from The Penny Dreadfuls interviewing other comedians but they're completely improvised and the questions are on a fake career history of the guest. The quality can vary depending on the guest but the episodes with Michael Legge, Margaret Cabourn-Smith and John Finnemore are all excellent.

I've only listened to the first one of these (Miles Jupp), and it's an absolute joy. Thanks for the recommendation, I think this has just jumped to the top of my current favourite podcasts list.

Oh yeah the Miles ep is great. It'll be interesting if Danielle Ward goes on given her and Reed are a couple.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Twed on December 08, 2018, 02:56:38 PM
Yep, very similar. I think comedy should have a higher bar than "fun person to have in a group of friends maybe", and I blame powerful agents for it all.

There are a number of comedians I can't imagine ever wanting to watch their stand-up act, or I've tried and it feels too contrived, because it is too much of an act compared to how they are on panel shows.
You can see the framework of how they deliver the lines, the measured pauses etc basically, The Act. The overly-rehearsed, rigid, zero-spontaneity one person play.

Some comedians can make you think it's all off the top of their head. Some, you can see them going through the stage directions in their head.

DrGreggles

Has anyone tried the latest episode? Katy Brand talking about the Red Dwarf novels. It's probably the worst episode so far because it's so badly researched. They all praise the books in comparison to the t.v. series for having more depth, but most of the examples of depth are things that actually came from the series. Katy Brand slags off Lord of the Rings without apparently having seen or read it and makes sweeping statements about Kubrick apparently on the basis of two films. A deeply irritating episode from a podcast I generally love.

Twed

I've listened to the beginning. Found myself extremely annoyed by one the man ones saying "the trouble with Red Dwarf the TV series was that it was so small", which was the entire point of Red Dwarf and defined everything about the first two, good series.

bobloblaw

Previous ep with Josh Weinstein is fascinating, particularly as they spend about half of it talking about his time on the golden age of The Simpson and then Futurama