Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rule of Three

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, October 20, 2018, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Twed on March 18, 2019, 03:11:24 PM
I've listened to the beginning. Found myself extremely annoyed by one the man ones saying "the trouble with Red Dwarf the TV series was that it was so small", which was the entire point of Red Dwarf and defined everything about the first two, good series.

Yeah. They should really have watched at least the first series for comparison.

Twed

I listened to ten more minutes of this, and you're right. They're talking about great things from the book that were practically all in the first two series of Red Dwarf.

"The book has this great idea about how the Cat came to be, and the holy war..." SERIES
"The book had great ideas about the psychological issues of living with yours..." SERIES

Yep. And later on there's a passing mention of Kubrick and it gets mentioned that he wasn't that interested in his characters and it's like Paths of Glory, Lolita, Dr Strangelove... it feels like that conclusion was based mainly on 2001. And they talk about Lord of the Rings and Katy Brand says something like "it's about characters looking for this ring that will give them power but I want to know what they'd do with that power once they got it" missing the main point that it's about characters looking to destroy a ring of power because they know having that power will corrupt everything.

Twed

Quote from: bobloblaw on March 18, 2019, 03:49:22 PM
Previous ep with Josh Weinstein is fascinating, particularly as they spend about half of it talking about his time on the golden age of The Simpson and then Futurama
This was great. Josh was lovely, wasn't he? I had no idea. Really warmed to him coming to the UK without his family to take train journeys to places with bitter weather because that's what he likes.

I do like this podcast a lot, but I had to bail out of the Dara EEHHHH'Briain episode after about 10 minutes.  Christ, he's unbearable.  Just exhausting to listen to. 

Twed

Also bailed on that. Dara talking about the other EEEEHHHHHHH comedian. Too much to take.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Twed on March 18, 2019, 06:53:47 PM
Also bailed on that. Dara talking about the other EEEEHHHHHHH comedian. Too much to take.

I used to be able to get past that, but it's all I can hear now.
This is Bob Mortimer's fault!

Twed

You weren't wrong about the LOTR/Kubrick bit. I'd say you were going easy on it. They all really thought it was about a quest for a ring, and it was raised as an example of fiction where the character's wants and desires aren't a factor, and where stuff "just happens". Absolute madness. LOTR is a comment on the human condition, as is most of Kubrick's work. The difference between those and a Red Dwarf novel is that Red Dwarf's characters actively state how they feel about things (which is good in Red Dwarf, but that absolutely should not be what is required to make you understand a character's state of mind, especially if your job is running a podcast where you analyse these things).

"Even The Gollum doesn't have clear motivations". What

I prefer the episodes where they just quote the comedy, or talk about the experiences of the guests in their own work. They are actively annoying when it comes to actual comedy analysis.

Wet Blanket

It lives or dies on whether the guest is genuinely knowledgeable about the subject or has plucked something out of their arse, and it can be frustrating if it's something you're familiar with but they've watched some YouTube vids of and are speculating based on them. They did one on Shaun Micallef that was annoying in tis regard - I think they even referred to him as being a bit like Keith Lemon at one point. On the other hand I thought Dara O Briain's was all right because he obviously knew a lot about Izzard's career and is prepared to go into the mechanics of stand-up. The high watermark is Davey Jones on Leo Baxendale.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Twed on March 18, 2019, 06:47:44 PM
This was great. Josh was lovely, wasn't he? I had no idea. Really warmed to him coming to the UK without his family to take train journeys to places with bitter weather because that's what he likes.

His CBBC show, Strange Hill High, which Joel and Jason worked on, is properly brilliant by the way

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Twed on March 19, 2019, 05:28:27 AM

I prefer the episodes where they just quote the comedy, or talk about the experiences of the guests in their own work. They are actively annoying when it comes to actual comedy analysis.

Oh come on, they really know their comedy onions and rarely opinionated to be annoying. It's the celebratory aspect that I love about this podcast.

Crabwalk

Yes, I've learned a lot about some of the more obscure mechanics of comedy from this podcast. It does risk becoming 'The Joel Morris Show' at times, as he tends to jump in a lot. But I think that's just through over-enthusiasm, rather than ego. The show has a refreshing, positive atmosphere and is almost completely free of cynicism and sneering.

Endicott

Have you listened to the Ever Decreasing Circles one? An absolute joy and very insightful. I'm quite surprised that they've made some faux pars on the Red Dwarf one, seems out of character. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 19, 2019, 09:01:08 AM
It lives or dies on whether the guest is genuinely knowledgeable about the subject or has plucked something out of their arse, and it can be frustrating if it's something you're familiar with but they've watched some YouTube vids of and are speculating based on them. They did one on Shaun Micallef that was annoying in tis regard - I think they even referred to him as being a bit like Keith Lemon at one point. On the other hand I thought Dara O Briain's was all right because he obviously knew a lot about Izzard's career and is prepared to go into the mechanics of stand-up. The high watermark is Davey Jones on Leo Baxendale.

I actually really enjoyed the Micallef one because I knew nothing about him and it encouraged me to find his stuff.

Wet Blanket

This week's features Sanjeev Singh Kohli on Blue Jam

Utter Shit

Is he the bad Kohli or the good Kohli?

Sanjeev is from Still Game and Fags, Mags. Hardeep is the shitty landlord.

DrGreggles

New episode: Charlie Brooker on Airplane

Twed

It's a very good episode. I was wrong above, they are very good at analysis when they have done their research.

DrGreggles

Probably my favourite episode of RoT so far.

EOLAN

Quote from: Twed on April 05, 2019, 09:49:13 AM
It's a very good episode. I was wrong above, they are very good at analysis when they have done their research.
Can't remember the episode; but they did go pretty deep into Airplane as a tangent before. Discussing how with Brooker; the looked to replicate the set-up for that John Hannah detective show, where they bought an existing story and built the jokes around it. They found it very hard to adapt when they were to make a new series and had to build a plot and story as well as the jokes. So kind of knew they were well prepared for this one.   

Jittlebags

The one that had me spluttering my tea was Chris Addison on Mrs Overall's camel toe.

paruses

Quote from: Jittlebags on April 05, 2019, 10:10:41 AM
The one that had me spluttering my tea was Chris Addison on Mrs Overall's camel toe.

I laughed a lot in that one. I had forgotten what a miserable upbringing VW had. It's a really good ep.

They had to discuss the channel swimmer sketch though - christ that's an upsetting one.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 04, 2019, 06:57:00 PM
New episode: Charlie Brooker on Airplane

An enjoyable episode albeit slightly confusing (for me anyway), as Brooker and the hosts sound almost identical. I found it difficult to work out who was speaking at times. In fact I still can't differentiate between the hosts. It's a very good podcast, though, ideal listening for the likes of us.

Twed

This Matt Lucas one is great. He's regretful about some things - one of which is something I consider some of his best work, although I agree with his reasons for the regret (cryptic! Can anybody guess what I'm talking about?)

DrGreggles

Quote from: Twed on April 12, 2019, 03:34:14 AM
This Matt Lucas one is great. He's regretful about some things - one of which is something I consider some of his best work, although I agree with his reasons for the regret (cryptic! Can anybody guess what I'm talking about?)

Rock Profile, obviously.

rasta-spouse

What are the crank phonecalls Lucas was talking about?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: EOLAN on April 05, 2019, 09:54:28 AM
Can't remember the episode; but they did go pretty deep into Airplane as a tangent before.

I think that was the Paddington director Paul King discussing the original To Be or not To Be (1942). Fascinating episode.

neveragain

Quote from: Twed on April 12, 2019, 03:34:14 AM

Mash and Peas? Specifically the Wood one?