Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:34:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rule of Three

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, October 20, 2018, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Blue Jam

Watched Airplane! fairly recently. Just sought out Robocop on Netflix. Charlie Brooker is entirely right- it's funny, and it knows it.

Hillbert

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 16, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
Watched Airplane! fairly recently. Just sought out Robocop on Netflix. Charlie Brooker is entirely right- it's funny, and it knows it.
Wasn't it adapted from an early Judge Dredd script? Which makes perfect sense. Up till Dredd it was the best (not quite) 2000AD out there, with all the satire and dark humour that entails.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Matt Lucas talking about Gerard Hoffnung is absolutely fascinating. I was vaguely aware of Hoffnung before listening to the episode, but only because his name tends to crop up in books about the history of British comedy, but my God - Peter Cook must've been a huge fan. Hoffnung's brilliant improvisations as a bemused old patrician duffer are a direct influence on Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling.

DrGreggles

The new one (Mlies Jupp on Frasier) is lovely.
If only because it serves as a reminder of how great Frasier was.

thraxx

The Bottom, Father Ted and Spinal Tap ones were particularly good. I loved the in depth reading and analysis of Bottom especially; bringing to the surface that though Ritchie and Eddie are both scum they at least have the dignity to wear ties while they are beating the shit out of the gasman.

Most of all I just like the celebratory nature and love that seeps out of the conversation.

kidsick5000

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 19, 2019, 08:49:17 AM
The new one (Mlies Jupp on Frasier) is lovely.
If only because it serves as a reminder of how great Frasier was.

It's bloody marvellous isn't it. Plus there's that really heart-warming story about David Hyde Pierce.
I really wanted to watch Frasier after listening

Has anyone tried The Fear? It's another Great Big Owl podcast but it has comedians talking about things that scared them. Quite a bit of crossover in guests with Rule of Three.

paruses

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 22, 2019, 12:27:27 PM
It's bloody marvellous isn't it. Plus there's that really heart-warming story about David Hyde Pierce.
I really wanted to watch Frasier after listening

Same.

Just listening  to the Cariad Lloyd one about Whose Line. Didn't think I would enjoy it but it's quite fascinating rather than funny - very technical and really good history and insight from CL. Have to say I absolutely loved Whose Line as a teenager but felt I grew out of it and almost inwardly groan when Impro(v) is mentioned.

Am very pleased the CL tends to have the same opinion as me about the guests then and retrospective evaluation of them now she is older. I love affirmation.

phatfill

Having listened to all of excellent Rule of three episodes ive started the the one show show podcast with Jon Holmes .
I liked series 1 it got some laughs from me.
Don't let the title or the basic premise put you off as i nearly did its funny.
Anyone else heard this podcast ?

Twed

I was thinking about it after hearing the ad in Rule of Three yesterday.

phatfill

I'm  5 episodes into series 2 and its decent  but nothing has been as good as the jake yapp one (episode 3 series 1  i think)
His anger at having to watch the one show is very funny.

paruses

Quote from: phatfill on May 10, 2019, 09:58:03 PM
Having listened to all of excellent Rule of three episodes ive started the the one show show podcast with Jon Holmes .
I liked series 1 it got some laughs from me.
Don't let the title or the basic premise put you off as i nearly did its funny.
Anyone else heard this podcast ?

What's the title? Is it just The One Show Podcast? Looking on Pocketcast, I can't find it but would like to give a go.

[Edit - The The One Show Show - clever clever but a pain in the arse to search for in an app.]

olliebean

Is there any point in me listening to this if I have never watched and have absolutely no interest in watching The One Show?

DrGreggles

Quote from: olliebean on May 11, 2019, 11:18:06 AM
Is there any point in me listening to this if I have never watched and have absolutely no interest in watching The One Show?

I've never watched it either, but the podcast still works.

paruses

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 11, 2019, 11:27:53 AM
I've never watched it either, but the podcast still works.

Agreed. Quite enjoying it on my stomp around town. Started at series 3. Was looking for the Jake Yapp episode but not found it yet. Dot Cotton from Line of Duty was pretty funny - and scathing.

One thing though - just heard them take the piss out of Elaine Paige telling the "fruit flies like a banana. Time flies like an arrow" joke. I think that's not a bad word-play joke but they crash down on it and I don't think they've understood it. Anyone else heard that? Think it's S3E03 or 4.

Sorry for derailing this but it's not worth starting a thread over and yet really bugs me.

phatfill

i have only seen it on in the background and have no interest in watching it and im enjoying the podcast so yes. 

EOLAN

This week's episode is about Chuck Jones. Nominated by the I believe not so popular round here Phil Jupitus; though I usually find him to be - fine.

Anyway; with all the domination of Disney last week and being regularly surrounded by such discussion due to Mrs Eolan's recent Disney fandom; it has made me realise how I was always had more love and delight for the Warner Bros. stuff and particularly Chuck Jones. Just listening now so can provide feedback later.

kidsick5000

I'm not even in the UK but I know what kind of show it is.
The podcast works really well, including their inference that Matt is psychotic.
I also reckon Matt Baker's this close to an on air rant about the podcast bullying him.

For episodes, if nothing else, get the episode with former One Show correspondent Jay Raynor. Not warts and all but it is a fun insight into how these shows are made.

They have become a victim of their success though. It's becoming clear that The One Show has been picking up on their ticks and traits and trying to cut off their more mockable moments.
I guarantee that the hosts are going to cut down on using "What's that like" as their standard question soon.

kidsick5000

Quote from: paruses on May 11, 2019, 04:26:00 PM

One thing though - just heard them take the piss out of Elaine Paige telling the "fruit flies like a banana. Time flies like an arrow" joke. I think that's not a bad word-play joke but they crash down on it and I don't think they've understood it. Anyone else heard that? Think it's S3E03 or 4.

Sometimes, they are way off. And it is a 'yelling at the podcast' moment where they veer in Michael McIntyre territory of mocking "What's all that about" to something utterly obvious.
It wasn't so much that they were saying it's a shit joke, it's that they didn't get it at all because they were (iirc) only applying one meaning of flies to the whole thing. God, they can be thick. Also, light joke by a non-comedian singer. It didn't deserve the feeding frenzy.

I was enjoying the Chuck Jones episode until the moment when Jupitus made fleeting reference to one of the writers and animators going on to make a load of Jerry Lewis movies. That'll be Frank Tashlin, Phill. He's quite well-known and revered.

That then leads to a tangent where they talk about Jim Carrey being a living, breathing Chuck Jones cartoon. That'll be the Jim Carrey who was directly influenced by Tashlin and Lewis, who were among the first filmmakers to make live-action comedies based on surreal, manic, colourful cartoon logic.

The Tashlin/Lewis films are far more in tune with those Chuck Jones shorts than anything Carrey has ever done. Tashlin used Lewis in the same way he employed Daffy and Bugs to get crazy gags across.

EOLAN

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 17, 2019, 03:07:40 AM
I was enjoying the Chuck Jones episode until the moment when Jupitus made fleeting reference to one of the writers and animators going on to make a load of Jerry Lewis movies. That'll be Frank Tashlin, Phill. He's quite well-known and revered.

That then leads to a tangent where they talk about Jim Carrey being a living, breathing Chuck Jones cartoon. That'll be the Jim Carrey who was directly influenced by Tashlin and Lewis, who were among the first filmmakers to make live-action comedies based on surreal, manic, colourful cartoon logic.

The Tashlin/Lewis films are far more in tune with those Chuck Jones shorts than anything Carrey has ever done. Tashlin used Lewis in the same way he employed Daffy and Bugs to get crazy gags across.

Sometimes the shows of things you don't know about as intricately are better. Feel like being educated and not nit-picking things you are aware of. Don't have real insight into Chuck Jones and co. aside from the direct product they produced but was generally a good fun listen. About the only thing I didn't like was doing the narrative description of the Opera episode.

Not having a go at you BoBB but I have genuinely found episodes I know hardly anything about; such as Gerrard Hoffnung who I had never heard of in my ignorance was  a great listen. Happy to get additional education from your yourself and the Jerry Lewis link does make a  lot of sense.

(Although on the Hoffnung episode; I did end up internally shouting at my podcast player when they went about the friendly prank like calls; saying it was Simon Popper who had taken over the helm of this with no mention of Peter Cook's 'Sven from Swiss Cottage' til much later in the show).

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: EOLAN on May 17, 2019, 09:45:31 AM
Sometimes the shows of things you don't know about as intricately are better. Feel like being educated and not nit-picking things you are aware of. Don't have real insight into Chuck Jones and co. aside from the direct product they produced but was generally a good fun listen. About the only thing I didn't like was doing the narrative description of the Opera episode.

Not having a go at you BoBB but I have genuinely found episodes I know hardly anything about; such as Gerrard Hoffnung who I had never heard of in my ignorance was  a great listen. Happy to get additional education from your yourself and the Jerry Lewis link does make a  lot of sense.

(Although on the Hoffnung episode; I did end up internally shouting at my podcast player when they went about the friendly prank like calls; saying it was Simon Popper who had taken over the helm of this with no mention of Peter Cook's 'Sven from Swiss Cottage' til much later in the show).

I am internally shouting at my laptop now. It's 'Robert' Popper.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 17, 2019, 03:07:40 AM

I was surprised that he didn't mention Frank Tashlin by name either, given that Jupitus clearly knows his animation history.

To be that nitpicky guy, there were a number of factual errors, albeit more forgivable as they came from the hosts. Mel Blanc didn't voice Elmer Fudd (it was Arthur Q. Brian) and Scott Bradley was the musician responsible for the Tom and Jerry scores (not Carl Stalling). I'm also pretty sure the story of Leon Schlesinger not recognising that Daffy Duck's voice was imitating him is something that Chuck Jones fabricated for his autobiography (in his earliest appearances, Daffy doesn't have a lisp).

I did really like the spirited defence of how animation is on par with opera as the highest form of collaborative art, despite being low brow and disposable entertainment.

lebowskibukowski

I'm just peeved that they didn't play a clip of Bugs singing "My Girl Is A High Born Stepper" whilst he is playing a harp. Pretty much the song of my early childhood.

Quote from: EOLAN on May 17, 2019, 09:45:31 AM

I was, I must admit, rather overstating my grievance with that episode. Silly of me. I didn't switch off in a fit of pique when Jupitus failed to mention Tashlin by name, I think he was probably just trying to continue the discussion with hosts who don't share his deep knowledge of the subject at hand. I'm sure Phill could've gone off on a tangent about those Jerry Lewis films, but that's not what he was there to discuss.

This is a great podcast, I'm glad it exists. The Hoffnung episode was, as you say, fascinating. I knew nothing about him beforehand, he was just a name that cropped up occasionally in comedy books, so I was absolutely riveted by their conversation about him.

alan nagsworth

This is so good, thanks to y'all for bringing it into my life. Listened to the Spinal Tap and Father Ted episodes and they made me grin like a bastard, loving it.

DrGreggles

This podcast has made me think what I'll choose when they invite me on.
It'll probably be either Absolutely or Vic Reeves' Big Night Out.

PlanktonSideburns

id pick that video of the ehow bloke sawing away at that pizza

lankyguy95

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 19, 2019, 06:50:10 PM
id pick that video of the ehow bloke sawing away at that pizza
Fucking yes!

I'd pick Yes, Minister because people don't really talk about it aside from just agreeing that it's really good.