Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Book'd and Conn'd

Started by Gandhi, February 17, 2005, 03:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

terminallyrelaxed

terminallyrelaxed

Hey gang, I'm doing my best to keep the dream alive here!

Look, here are a couple of sources for you:

I was going to do those tonight, but haven't thought of anything yet.

The Duck Man

Suttonpubcrawl

Boing

So "is it just me or is everything shit" a bad book then?Bad in the conventional sense,or "bad" as in Michael Jackson's interpretation?................Ahem,is it OK or crap?
By the way,some of those are really funny.

Sovereign

Quote from: "Boing"So "is it just me or is everything shit" a bad book then?Bad in the conventional sense,or "bad" as in Michael Jackson's interpretation?................Ahem,is it OK or crap?
By the way,some of those are really funny.

its pretty poor. Its not a book in any reasonable sense of the word, but a poorly written sub-journalistic A-Z of moaning, complaining. whining, blanket criticism that's immature, generally unfunny and very studenty. Studenty as in "oh look by some miracle of patronage I've got a degree, now I can point out all ironies of modern life that mere plebs who haven't got degrees couldn't ever possibly notice for themselves."

I took me less than an hour to read, courtesy of a patronisingly big font, text that is right in the middle of the page surrounded by acres and acres of margin space, very large gaps between each "entry" and other such filler. There's only around a couple of paragraphs of writing per page, its for idiots. What makes me laugh the most is that its written by two people! HA!

The little polemnic rants are just juvenile and get tiresome after it gets to B. It's the worst type of blanket-cynicism for cheap laughs, the very studenty type of blanket cynicism, where because they want to appear ahead of the curve on absolutely everything they resort to critisizing EVERYTHING as if they're above it and that they're far too wiser to be suckerd in by that crap ( or whatever it is they happen to know better about). You get it on here sometimes, like people who slag off a new comedy coz it appears to be the way the zeitgeist is going and so by slagging it off they appear to be cooler-than the masses who fall for this shit every single time. However, at least on here there are occasionally funny one-liners and interesting threads now and then, in this book its just constant skepticism that borders on nihilism. I just end up thinking to myself, SURELY there is something in this world that you actually like, that you haven't figured out for being shallow or fake or rubbish or whatever fucking adjective you can think up. I read things on here everyday that are funnier than that, I see things on Maddox or Stilproject that are more astute, intelligent and witty than the dirge in this book. I lent it to a barely-literate farmer boy of 21 who left school at 14 and who deals drugs from his tractor and who stinks of shit and he said that he thought it was "childish" which pretty much sums it up.

Private Eye did a great review of it, saying someting along the lines of there are two types of people in this world: those who think having the word shit amongst the other titles in bookshelf makes them edgy and cool, and those who do not. Invariably, the former has gone out this christmas and bought the book for the latter, who will no doubt have it on ebay before the turkey has been digested.

Its not as bad as that Lynne Truss book though, I got about 20 pages into it and spent the rest of the night looking for her address on the internet so I could find her personally and get her to explain herself, maybe even apologise, for inflicting that putrescent smegma onto the world.

Gandhi

To help certain posters rediscover their mong mojo, this thread is now dead.