Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nick Knacks: A Show by Show Retrospective of Nickelodeon

Started by Phil_A, October 21, 2018, 11:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

I felt it was time to start a thread on this youtube series as it is really, really good and deserves a lot more attention.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL63ushetAZ-xoXYf46MkIywbmLq_3qXRw

As the name suggests, each episode is devoted to a different show from the channel's history, running mostly in chronological order. It's coming very much from a critical/analytical standpoint rather than a nostalgic one, covering many other aspects of the early years of cable TV services on the way.

It is genuinely fascinating to see what will turn up next. Some of the very early shows are so obscure no footage even seems to exist, and before the channel had enough original content the schedules were often filled-out with content from the UK and Canada, such as old Children's Film Foundation shorts and Sunday evening drama serials starring Nicholas Lyndhurst.

It also isn't afraid to identify parts of old shows that are problematic with hindsight. For instance the most recent episode deals with You Can't Do That On Television, bringing up some highly questionable aspects to creator Roger Price's TV work(which also included The Tomorrow People and Pauline's Quirkes among others) that I'm not sure have ever really been looked at in detail before.

With that in mind I'll be interested to see whether he'll attempt to cover the Dan Schneider era or call a halt to it before that point, although that is still a long, long way off.

Dex Sawash

Bored and figured I would go perve over Helga and Olga and fuck me...

I'm in episode #018 at 04:26, red shirt. I'm not the stuntkid.

Small Man Big Horse

Shaky

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 22, 2018, 12:38:30 AM
Bored and figured I would go perve over Helga and Olga and fuck me...

I'm in episode #018 at 04:26, red shirt. I'm not the stuntkid.

I'm sure you get this all the time but you were a fine piece of ass back then.

This is surprisingly fascinating.

(Except for the guy's editorializing, which is less fascinating)

George White

US cable in the 80s wasa strange place.
Anything would get shown.
USA Network showed Benny Hill and Ski-Boy, and bought episodes of Coronation Street from Granada in the 80s, and reedited it into an hour long format, and showed it directly against US daytime soaps. 
HBO/Cinemax and Showtime back in the day was full of things like the Pallisers, Adventures of Black Beauty, Children of Fire Mountain, feature length edits of episodes of UFO, and Arthur of the Britons, and the Dangerous Davies pilot with Cribbins.
Nickelodeon showed the Tomorrow People, Children of the Stones, Into the Labyrinth, the Witches and the Grinnygog, a few Sunday Classics as part of a timesharing thing they had with A&E who were full of Barry Letts-produced Sunday classics and PBS castoffs, and coproductions like Bergerac, Lovejoy, Miss Marple...
Disney Channel showed the Granada Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett, and coproduced the likes of the Narnia adaps, the December Rose, the Box of Delights, Seal Morning, the 1991 Great Expectations, Narnia, Swallows and Amazons Forever,  the forgotten South African coproduction The Children's Island, which was also carried by Nickelodeon. As well as less kiddy stuff such as Bryan Brown miniseries Eureka Stockade and Sam Neill in ITC's Robbery Under Arms.

TBS showed the likes of Bangkok Hilton and Daleks Invasion 2150 AD. Doctor Who seemed to be a staple on the semi-regional superstations like WWOR, WTBS, WGN...

George White

HBO also showed both the 1986/1998 Worst Witch, the Cyril Shaps/Nigel Lambert version of Paddington, Henry's Cat - redubbed by Dom Deluise, Postman Pat, the Pallisers, Brendon Chase, Legend of White Fang, Ghost of Faffner Hall, Tintin, Anthony Ant 
Showtime showed Robin of Sherwood and the Wombles.

George White

Just discovered HBO did show as part of it's Young People's Pictures, the BBC David Copperfield ,Little Lord Fauntleroy, What Katy Did, and Legend of Robin Hood with Martin Potter and Paul Darrow, both from 1974-75, alongside CFF stuff, Karel Zeman, Pippi Longstocking, Animal Farm, Strange Holiday, Mr. Quilp, the Christmas that Almost Wasn't, Amazing Mr. Blunden, Trial by Combat, Mr. E from Tau Ceti, the 1972 Gawain and the Green Knight, Forever Young Forever Free, Mauro the Gypsy with James Copeland and Victor Carin, Mr. Horatio Knibbles from the CFF,  the Secret of Boyne Castle from Disney, Space Explorers, Pippi, Lupinek Case, Project Kill    CFF Superinvisible, the final episodes of the US remake of Upstairs, Downstairs -  Beacon Hill, Dog and the Seal, Doggie and Three, Boy of Two Worlds, Flash the Sheepdog, Little Bearkeepers, Man from Hong Kong, the Waterbabies and Trolls and the Christmas Express.

Interestingly, Anton Diffring second billed in their adverts for Operation Daybreak, 6th in the actual film.

The Sunday Classic Lorna Doone, the Letts/Christopher Barry Nicholas Nickleby with Nigel Havers and the non-Sunday Classic adult series Nana with Katharine Schofield got trotted out as HBO Playhoouse.
thief of paris

By 1980, it's all Benny Hill and Billy Smart, Ray Cooney's There Goes the Bride, Secret Valley - an Aussie kids' TV show, then by 1990s,
Rita Rudner, an adaptation of Quentin Blake's George the Dancing Frog, Mike Murphy-produced ITC slasher the Fantasist, Hammerhead Jones, Retaiator, Cyclone, the Australian cartoon  of the Pickwick Papers, Vampire at Minight, Jane and the Lost City, the Michael Hordern Paddington, Ghost of Faffner Hall, and by the 1990s, its original movies are half-quality TV biopics and half-DTV extravaganzas, Olivier Gruner  AND John Ritter in The mercenary, the Beneficiary, Natural Enemy, Crossworlds, Profile for Murder, DNA, Crash Dive, Lethal Tender,, Hostile Intent, Dogwatch, Murder in Mind,   Clubhouse Detectives, Plato's Run, Perfect Target, Executive Target, Behind Enemy Lines, Asyulm with Rober Patrick, Last Days of Frankie the Fly, Mean Guns, Night Flyer,, Drive, Redline, Peacekeeper,, Acts of Betrayal with Maria Conchita Alonso, Kim Cattrall in Exception to the Rule, Double Tap with Stephen Rea, produced by Joel Silver, Ben Cross in the Invader, Below Utopia with Ice T, Robin Williams introducing Shakespeare the Animated Tales, Soldier Boyz, Widow's Kiss with BEVERLY D'ANGELO, Hard Justice,, Iron Eagle IV, Fist of the North Star, One Man's Justice with Brian Bosworth,  Chrostopher Walken in Wildside, Bosworth in Blackout, Sam Elliott in Final Cut, Naked Souls with Pamela Anderson, Die Darkman Die, Mask of Death with Lorenzo Lamas, TNT with Gruner and Eric Roberts in a funny beard, John Allen Nelson in Shelter, the Girl Gets Moe, Misbegotten with Kevin Dillon, Sanctuary with Mark Dacascos, Johnny Skidmarks. Danger Zone - which was basically the lowest Robert Downey Jr. ever got, Ashley Judd in Normal Life, Pie in the Sky with Anne Heche, the Substitue 2, Antonio Sabato in High Voltage, Peter Weller in Top of the World, the Sender, Nia Long in Butler, Edie and Pen, Ravenhawk, SERPENT'S lAIR, Sabotage with Dacascos, Power 98, Silent Trigger with Lundgren, the Dentist, Back to Back with Michael Rooker, Past Perfect with Eric Roberts, The Chain ith Busey,Invasion of Privacy with Jonathon Schaech, Conspiracy of Fear with Chris Plummer and an Occassional Hell with Tom Berenger. No Way Back - the first US film of Russell Crowe, Persons Unknown with Joe Mantegna, Yancy BUTLER IN THE EX, Nemesis,Cyborg 2, Night of the Running Man, Eye of the Stranger, Last Ride with Mickey Rourke

Sources:
Bittersweet Love, AIP, ITC, Mr. Quilp,  cinerama, new line, martin beck fvi,  mr. blunden christmas almost wasn't   chipperfield circus Bittersweet Love, AIP, ITC, Mr. Quilp,  cinerama, new line, martin beck fvi,  mr. blunden christmas almost wasn't   chipperfield circus money movers voyage of tanai plague   mr. rossi    HBO - Katharine Schofeild as Nana BBC NFB cHILDREN'S fILM fOUNDATION aNIMAL fARM rABBI jACOB  BRUNO SANMARTINO WRESTLING KAREL ZEMAN   dAVID cOPPERFIELD Sunday Classic Strange Holiday Little Jungle Boy Skinny and Gatty Werewolf wASHINGTON Boggy Creek Devil's Rain The Last Snows of Spring Shoot it Black shoot it blue howco Martin Potter Robin Hood cinema shares escape to nowhere lino ventura      Bawdy Tom Jones, Land that Time Forgot, Stardust, the Outsider

Dex Sawash

George White

Also included Kick, Kickboxer 3, Nu Image, Glickenhaus, Swordsman, Death Ring (Don Swayze at his Simon Farnabiest), Bloodfist IV, Killer Image, Out for Blood, Don Dragon Wilson,Desert Kickboxer, Corman Santiago, Beyond the Call of Duty, Street Crimes, Final Embrace Scanners, Hardcase Fist, Black Cat Run, Scarred City, Perfect rey, Luke Perry Indiscreet, Valentine's Day Van Peebles,Devil in the Flesh Phoenix Liotta, Monta Kura Sedgewick, Jeff Speakman in Land of the Free, Misbegotten, Kevin Dillon, Sanctuary Dacascos, Petter Gallagher in Johnnny Skidmarks, Eric Roberts Sensation, Extremee Justice, Best of the Best III, Bad Blood, Iron Heart, Aremed and Deadly, Blue Tiger, the Ambulance, Ground Zero, Knights, Firepower, maximum force, knight moves, plus Ruby Wax and Band of Gold also showed up on HBO.