Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Julia Davis series, Sally4Ever

Started by Fried Egg Sandwich, October 22, 2018, 08:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shaky on November 03, 2018, 02:47:32 AM
Lads, lads, lads. Lads. Let's not play coy. How naughty is it?

Tightroping the line between nice and naughty. I've always loved Shepherd's 'acted' vulnerability and I hope she has a happy ending in this.

wooders1978

Quote from: Malcy on November 03, 2018, 01:26:49 AM
Found it quite boring this week compared to the first episode.
Yet I preferred this episode to the first

garbed_attic

It's a little tonally all-over-the-place, but it has some wonderful lines interspersed throughout. I'm not sure about Davis' character yet... she feels like too much of a hybrid of Jill and Fonte Bund from Human Remains.

græskar

I loved it. Sally's relentless corpsing in the car scene was my favourite bit.

olliebean

Lots of laughs for me in episode 2. My favourite bit was the way her fiancée's mum kept turning back for another look.

græskar

I love the echoes of Nighty Night in this, the first series of which is one of my favourite things ever. Davis' character is Jill-like enough, with her sociopathic behaviour, complete disregard for polite social norms, cruelty and ruthlessness. The meek Sally is very like Cath in how she lets Jill Emma run over her, for now. And of course Suze returns, in a wheelchair.

Chriddof

I've always found Nighty Night to be miserable and depressing and I can't understand how it could be anyone's favourite anything. And more recently it's genuinely distressing considering my family currently lives next door to someone almost as demented.

græskar

To me it's enjoyable in a similar way to horror films. It feeds some meat to the dark alligator within, if you will.

Edit: I think LoG falls into a similar category. For me LoG was more disturbing than Nighty Night and the first time I saw it I didn't like it, it was too unpleasant for me.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on October 26, 2018, 06:23:06 PM

Yes, it's very funny.
[Re the Julia Davis and Vicki Pepperdine podcast]
Second this; just listened to it a few days ago. Not many episodes either. Gets very gross and silly.

amnesiac

Quote from: græskar on November 03, 2018, 10:23:09 PM
I loved it. Sally's relentless corpsing in the car scene was my favourite bit.

yep I picked up on that too but Julia also corpses at one point (at Alex Macqueen's pathetic pleadings to not spend too long at the services) in the same scene.
I can't remember laughing at anything so much in recent years as that scene. It started with JD mentioning she'd fancy some Frazzles but I properly broke down when she thought Deliveroo would deliver to 'a moving vehicle', just lost it, tears, the lot.

Shaky

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 03, 2018, 02:53:30 AM
Tightroping the line between nice and naughty. I've always loved Shepherd's 'acted' vulnerability and I hope she has a happy ending in this.

Yeah, big fan of Shepherd here. Her presence interests more than Davis's, to be honest.

Malcy

Seems I'm in the minority of not liking ep 2. It just didn't grab my attention. Couple of chuckles but not a patch on the first for me. The mother going back for looks at the scissoring was the bit i liked best but the rest just bored me really.

Still looking forward to the rest but I was hoping for something more from Julia's character rather than the usual.

Tony Tony Tony

Just caught a TV reviews podcast called The Pilot Podcast https://planetradio.co.uk/podcasts/pilot-tv-podcast/ which features the always excellent Boyd Hilton. There is a long discussion about the upcoming episode 4 of Sally4Ever which is set to feature a scene the like of which has never been seen on UK TV.

I won't give too much away but I went off humming "Never Smile at a Coprophile".

Dannyhood91

I like this. I'll probably forget about it until someone mentions it again in 10 years and say "oh yeah it was alright that"

garbed_attic

Physical discomfort through cringing at the dinner scene in Ep3. I could barely watch it all the way through.

wooders1978

Quote from: gout_pony on November 10, 2018, 12:04:58 AM
Physical discomfort through cringing at the dinner scene in Ep3. I could barely watch it all the way through.

His opening line about the threesome story was an absolute gem

garbed_attic

Is Vicki Pepperdine as the marriage counselor (effectively as Jericha) the first time we've had a character cross over between two different Davis series?

Shaky

I have mixed thoughts on some of Julia's past work but thought the first episode of this was a brilliant distillation of everything she's tried to do previously. The right balance of cartoonish extremity and genuine dagger-to-the-heart satire.

græskar

I didn't like this one too much. I don't know who that actor is and consequently wasn't too engaged.
Julia as a sociopathic liar is always fun, but I'm hoping for more than a rehash of Nighty Night.

Shit Good Nose

As one of the (very) few CaBbers that has never "got" Julia Davis or the fascination with her and her work, I thought this was shit and not very different from everything else she's done.

Caveat - I haven't watched past the first episode.

olliebean

Quote from: græskar on November 10, 2018, 09:56:17 PMI don't know who that actor is and consequently wasn't too engaged.

You need to know who the actor is to be engaged with the performance? Seriously? Because if so, you're watching things wrong.

chveik

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 10, 2018, 10:03:34 PM
As one of the (very) few CaBbers that has never "got" Julia Davis or the fascination with her and her work, I thought this was shit and not very different from everything else she's done.

Agreed. It's never remotely funny, it just makes you uncomfortable. I guess that's the point, and it reminds me of Extras in that way.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: chveik on November 10, 2018, 10:30:55 PM
Agreed. It's never remotely funny, it just makes you uncomfortable. I guess that's the point, and it reminds me of Extras in that way.

I would, genuinely, take series 1 of Extras over anything Davis has done.  Not series 2, though.  That can fuck right off.

gib

I watched Camping after reading this thread, and after years of my mate banging on about it. I thought it was great, first episode was ok then i got the gist and was completely gripped. Probably because i recognised so many of the characters from my sorry real life. Pretty sure i didn't laugh once though.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 10, 2018, 10:03:34 PM
As one of the (very) few CaBbers that has never "got" Julia Davis or the fascination with her and her work

hmm idk... back in the day, that wouldn't have put you in the minority. I remember when Nighty Night came out (back when I was a lurker) and it was generally ridiculed as (ahem) Shitey Shite.

Speaking personally, Human Remains is taken as a whole (i.e. if bad episodes are taken as tainting a series as per The Simpsons) is my favourite comedy series of all time and certainly my most watched (again, if speaking only in terms of all the given episodes of a show).

BlodwynPig

Ep3. Law of diminishing returns. Nothing new, same old cringe and nastiness but without any pep or vitality.

I've not seen this, and have only seen Nighty Night, of her stuff.  Sounds like she's tried to formulaise the type of thing she did in NN, which is how Halloween went from superlative film to tired, cliched series.

olliebean

No sign of episode 4 of this anywhere yet. Seems to be taking longer to appear each week.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on November 16, 2018, 09:53:37 PM
No sign of episode 4 of this anywhere yet. Seems to be taking longer to appear each week.

It's coming from just one torrent site every week, then goes up elsewhere and I just checked the site and no sign. I think it's been later in going up as well.

Malcy